U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 09:04 AM

2,572 posts, read 6,262,662 times

Advertisements

I worded the title that way to avoid a bunch of replies saying "Well *I* would never buy second hand shoes anyway! Yuck!"

I am wanting input from those of you who WOULD consider gently used shoes, say via eBay, to get a good price on a favorite shoe brand and style. I need some input.

I have this amazing pair of shoes, that I would love to keep, but they are about a half size too snug for me. Needing to raise some money, and because I sell on eBay normally anyway as a part time thing, I've decided to list this pair. So far so good. I am in my element.

They retail new for about $270 (current price).

On eBay, "gently used", they average $100 to $140 for the same style, same condition, same color as what I have. Most often closer to $140 than $100.

Well, I pull them out of the closet to clean 'em up and take photos and I notice the right shoe is missing the rubber heel cap! I haven't worn them in a long time, in fact I hardly wore them, so I don't know when it went missing. I look all in the closet and it is not there. Arrrrgh. They have tan rubber heel caps, the heel is a bit chunky and it is also stamped with a signature so I can't just run out and buy a replacement locally.

Sooo mad. Well, I looked online and the designer DOES sell replacement caps (a pair) for $6 total, including shipping, which is great, but I really don't have time to wait for them to get here because I need the money sooner rather than later, and I am going to be super busy in a week and not messing with eBay. We are about to move and I want to sell all my eBay stuff before that happens if possible so I don't have to take it with me or mess with shipping while trying to move.

TL;dr

So would you, if you loved a particular designer and/or the shoe, be willing to buy these shoes on eBay that were in otherwise very good condition, but would be a bit of a pain because you'd need to spend $6 on heel caps and fix this before wearing them? If the price was a good 30% below the average would you do it?

I've sold things before that needed minor repairs or mending, at a discounted price, but never shoes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,138,347 times
I have been buying used shoes at thrift stores and yard sales for a long time. I have bought $300 AND UP PAIRS AND NEVER PAID MORE THAN $10 FOR ANY OF THEM. Why anyone would pay $100 or more is crazy in my opinion.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:17 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,892,348 times
I won't pay more than $10 for a pair of used shoes either and I definitely won't buy a pair in need of repair.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:17 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,404,892 times
Personally the heel cap wouldn't bother me. I don't buy shoes used often, but I do on occasion and the first place they go is to my cobbler to fix what needs to be fixed, get cleaned and shined. I also wouldn't bother getting the signature heel cap so long as my cobbler could match the color.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I have been buying used shoes at thrift stores and yard sales for a long time. I have bought $300 AND UP PAIRS AND NEVER PAID MORE THAN $10 FOR ANY OF THEM. Why anyone would pay $100 or more is crazy in my opinion.
Crazy as it may be it appears for the shoe the OP is talking about people do pay $100 for it used.

OP make sure you are checking "completed listings" on ebay and not just items listed for sale. There can be a huge difference in the price people are trying to sell something for vs. the price they are selling something for.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I won't pay more than $10 for a pair of used shoes either and I definitely won't buy a pair in need of repair.
Yeah that's generally my thinking but people pay close to $300 for these new which is amazing to me... but they are pretty amazing shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
Crazy as it may be it appears for the shoe the OP is talking about people do pay $100 for it used.

OP make sure you are checking "completed listings" on ebay and not just items listed for sale. There can be a huge difference in the price people are trying to sell something for vs. the price they are selling something for.
Thanks, yeah, I am a long time eBay seller so I understand all that and how to get the average sale price for these. I just didn't know if I could have any luck selling them as-is because I have never sold shoes in need of repair. Thanks for your input on if it would bother you or not. I keep thinking, if I were looking for these shoes would I care? Probably not, if I wanted them bad enough and felt like I was getting a bit of a bargain compared to their normal selling price.

I guess the worst case scenario, I can just list them a bit lower than the others, with a very clear photo of the missing cap and plenty of info to make it clear potential bidders understand the problem, and if they don't sell then they don't sell, right? Listing is free right now so it's not a big risk. I will lose some money but I am thinking if I wait until after we move, I'll forget and find them in a storage tub six months from now. That happens!

Or maybe I can find someone local to fix them without the signature heel cap? I just don't want to turn this into a drawn out thing. beth98; I've never gone to a cobbler -- do you think that most of them will have a variety of shoe caps they might be able to use, since these are tan rubber and kind of chunky? Might turn out that a local fix will be faster/better.

Last edited by Sally_Sparrow; 07-17-2013 at 09:45 AM..

Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well I generally shop the way you do but there are plenty of folks who don't. They don't have the time or the patience to search thrift stores and yard sales or maybe they are after a particular style/color/brand, you know? That's where eBay comes in. I know plenty of people who turn their noses up at thrifts but shop on eBay all the time! Works for me as an eBay seller.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Or maybe I can find someone local to fix them without the signature heel cap? I just don't want to turn this into a drawn out thing. beth98; I've never gone to a cobbler -- do you think that most of them will have a variety of shoe caps they might be able to use, since these are tan rubber and kind of chunky? Might turn out that a local fix will be faster/better.
My cobbler never seems to have a problem fixing whatever I need done. But something non-standard like you are describing might take a bit longer. If it were me, with the free listing, I would just sell them as is. If they don't sell, then look into other options.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:06 AM

9,068 posts, read 5,659,334 times
I never would have thought about buying "used" shoes until I ran across a pair of custom White's boots on Ebay. The person ordered them got them and didn't like them. When I received them they still had to be broken in. I got a pair of $400 boots for $225.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
My cobbler never seems to have a problem fixing whatever I need done. But something non-standard like you are describing might take a bit longer. If it were me, with the free listing, I would just sell them as is. If they don't sell, then look into other options.
Thanks, that's what I am going to do. I've been overthinking it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I never would have thought about buying "used" shoes until I ran across a pair of custom White's boots on Ebay. The person ordered them got them and didn't like them. When I received them they still had to be broken in. I got a pair of $400 boots for $225.
My son is this person. Well, he doesn't spend quite that much but he is really awful about buying boots and shoes online and then losing money selling them on eBay barely worn, because they aren't quite "right" for whatever reason. He's super picky about shoes and anyone with patience can find bargains because of his pickiness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty