U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:28 PM

3,446 posts, read 7,652,843 times

Advertisements

Well - I am 50 and back when I worked in an office we wore pantyhose to make our legs look better and stay warm in winter and slips to make our clothes hang better and not be see-through - sad that these two items are not used anymore -

So now we are treated to ugly legs and see-through dresses on bodies you don't want to see. - LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 11:17 PM

77 posts, read 107,852 times
In my opinion, nothing beats a good foundation be it stockings (not panty hose), half & whole slips, bustiers, corsets, girdles, lacy boy shorts or body shapers. I love and wear them all except in summer. If I must wear a slip in warmer weather, cotton half slips & pantaloons are available on Amazon,com & are very affordable.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:17 AM

1,630 posts, read 1,783,139 times
My dresses and skirts are all lined, thus obviating the need for a slip. But I do wear control slips occasionally to hold in "the beast."

Old 07-22-2013, 07:58 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,732,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Well - I am 50 and back when I worked in an office we wore pantyhose to make our legs look better and stay warm in winter and slips to make our clothes hang better and not be see-through - sad that these two items are not used anymore -

So now we are treated to ugly legs and see-through dresses on bodies you don't want to see. - LOL
Agree!! Legs are more attractive when wearing hose; and clothes hang nicer when wearing a slip underneath.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:52 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,167,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Maybe this should have been a "Dear Diary" or personal blog entry?
hahaha. Sounds like it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I don't know if a lot of women do this now a days, but I personally think its sexy. My ex used to dress like that, she would wear a black silky slip under her dress. Once she wore a third layer which was a white half-slip and that was the sexiest thing ever! Oh, and she would wear black pantyhose under all the layers which adds on to her sexiness. I wish I could have her back, especially for that reason
Dude, go out with another girl, buy her what you want to wear, problem solved.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:11 PM

4,827 posts, read 6,928,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
Women don't wear slips or panty hose anymore.

Don't make a blanket statement like that. I still wear slips and panty hose when I'm wearing a skirt or dress.

I, personally, think it's gross when a woman is wearing a dress/skirt and has no panty hose on. It doesn't look nice at all and it looks very unprofessional in an office setting.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:47 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,605,701 times
If a skirt or dress is very see-through, I wear a half-slip, but, not if I can get by without it.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:05 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Don't make a blanket statement like that. I still wear slips and panty hose when I'm wearing a skirt or dress.

I, personally, think it's gross when a woman is wearing a dress/skirt and has no panty hose on. It doesn't look nice at all and it looks very unprofessional in an office setting.
Wearing panty hose at the typical Bay Area office would make people wonder if you are switching jobs to work at an uber conservative law firm. Far too formal for the average office.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:47 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,258,861 times
I wear a slip if the dress or skirt needs it. Basically if it is too sheer, or if it is a fabric that will cling. A slip keeps the skirt from clinging or hanging weird.

I don't wear pantyhose but I also reserve bare legs for summery dresses. I tend to wear dresses with boots in cooler weather, eliminating the need for hose but still keeping my legs covered.

I sell a lot of vintage nylon slips on eBay that are gorgeous enough that they look like they should be worn as dresses!

Old 07-22-2013, 08:51 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
I never wear slips, because I don't own any dresses or skirts that require them, and try not to buy ones that do. I will wear hosiery if it helps polish a black tie event look, but not outside of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or