Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 11:12 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,929,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
IMO, being a short guy is a lot like being a fat gal. It won't keep you from dating, but it does limit your options.

They only difference is that for the most part, women aren't considered shallow for publicly disclosing that they consider short guys un-dateable
I think that's a fair statement.

I like above average height gals, 5'6 - 5'10 range. Last few girlfriends I've had were 5'8 or so. So with heels, I'm about an inch taller when I wear my boots. It doesn't bug me at all but my friends ask, "dude, shes almost as tall as you." And...? She has sexy legs!

The girl I'm currently dating is only 5'1 and I'm not use to dating shoter gals anymore. It reminds me of my HS GF so maybe its more mental than anything. Not to mention this gal and my HS GF act somewhat similar too.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:20 AM

121 posts, read 141,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I have a couple of friends who are a bit on the short side, about 5'6. They are kinda insecure cause of their height.

Myself, I'm a modest 5'11 and grateful for every inch. I'm 5 inches taller than my dad and 10 taller than my mom. I definitely got lucky to be this tall.

With online dating, I see ALOT of women post something like:

"Need to be 6ft+, got to wear my high heels!"

I'm sure most women don't want to date a man shorter than them. However, how about if hes only 2-3 inches taller?
I'm a petite woman, so men who are 5'10 in height are great. But really 6'4 is perfecto.

When I see short woman (like me) with tall men, I get a little jealous (J/K). I just happen to like height on a guy.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:28 AM

6,809 posts, read 6,894,588 times
I'm 5'4" and my husband is 6'2". But I have dated men that are only a few inches taller than me and we seemed to fit much better in the kissing and hugging department than when there is such a big difference in height.

I agree with a previous poster....a great personality can make any height desirable. There are plenty of tall jerks out there, so being tall isn't everything.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:33 AM

45,269 posts, read 26,773,195 times
I always look height as a degree of difficulty.

I'm 6'-4", wife is 5'-11". No complaints. Love her mucho.

When I was dating, the shorter the woman got, the degree of difficulty went up. In other words, we would have to have more in common on an intellectual level, interest level, and so on - to make up for the height disparity.

For example, there's this 5'-2" 20-something year old I know, that if I had met her in my single days would be a possibility because she is a committed Christian, loves football, good attitude, etc.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:18 PM

24,230 posts, read 16,917,394 times
I think it looks kinda weird when a man is so much taller than his lady and vice versa. I once knew a couple she was like 5'3" and he was like 6'4" They looked weird but they were happy. It is funny to see red carpet celebrity photos of the girls who date basketball players.
I'm 5'11" and once dated a woman that was like 6'1" and it was a bit strange but she sure made me stand up straight.
I don't think height should be a deal breaker but I can see why woman want their guys to be taller. I think it is something to do with feeling secure.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:14 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,857,980 times
Height has never mattered to me and my boyfriend is shorter.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:35 PM

855 posts, read 1,378,881 times
Wowweeee! Oh joy for another height thread!! Hahaha!!!

OK here goes again. This is what I have experienced on this subject as well as the truths I have known from the feedback of other short men.

A man's height IS a deal-breaker to the ladies who MAKE his height a deal-breaker. There are a lot of heightist women in this world, especially in western culture. If any woman shorter or taller than me places more value on a pair of heels while disqualifying me as a man for being too short for her, she's not worth my time and never will be. Totally fine by me, not my loss. There are some modern women who have shed their Neanderthalic/Cro-Magnonic tendencies and the associated thought process that goes with the hunter/gatherer mentality. I like those women the most because they look at me without passing judgement on me for how tall I stand.

Ultimately what I have discovered with aging is that a short guys height becomes significantly less of a deal breaker when a woman has a lot less men to choose from. Baggage and diminished looks won't gain her any favour with the taller guys so she'll be forced to look to the shorter guys if she wants to avoid being alone. Some of these women are beyond audacious, suggesting that a short man's only purposeful relationship with the opposite sex is to be the "ready doormat" and accept that as his best option to find happiness.

I respect, applaud and appreciate the ladies who step outside of height norms, ignore ancient height traditions and don't strip me of my manhood just because I'm a shade below 5'6.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:50 PM

22,253 posts, read 47,182,535 times
Hooray for you! Love that confidence.

But, seriously, I don't want to be married to a guy who I tower over. OR who would not want me to wear heels because I would tower even further. Plus, I don't like when a guy only comes up to my boobs - bad for things like slow-dancing!
I am not heightist (is that even a word?), but I know what I prefer!

Old 07-19-2013, 06:11 PM

803 posts, read 1,660,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
IMO, being a short guy is a lot like being a fat gal. It won't keep you from dating, but it does limit your options.

They only difference is that for the most part, women aren't considered shallow for publicly disclosing that they consider short guys un-dateable

No, women are still considered shallow to some extent. It is also very socially acceptable to say such things. The obsession with height boils down to bragging rights and inflated sense of worth/entitlement more than anything.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:39 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,929,130 times
Really don't understand why shallow is such a bad thing. I'm vain and shallow, I'm happy about it. It makes me get my ass out of bed at 5am to hit the gym before work. It makes me brush my teeth more often. It makes me care about my apperance so I don't become someone I would loathe in a photo.

I expect the same in a women. I expect a gal to work hard to keep her looks and health in check. Maybe people don't need to be vain and shallow to get that motivation but I do and I don't think I would have enough motivation if I wasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty