U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,893,497 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I'm all about comfort but all of my clothes are clean, hole free, stain free, and pressed. You can be comfortable and still not look like a homeless person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 12:18 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,057,910 times
OP, I've read the first three pages here and still don't get your point. Do YOU even know your point?

Wear what YOU want to wear and IF and WHEN someone says something to you about it -- THEN you can respond as YOU see fit. If YOU feel you should dress better, DO it. But WHY do you feel you should? Why do you feel the need to conform, if you don't want it, and it's not your personal nature to do that? Clearly you went to dinner at a friend's house dressed as you did, and she invited you back -- so it must not have been a problem for her.

I'm so tired of people who dress down -- yes even in stained or holey clothes -- being made to feel they need to dress better for others. Dress the way YOU want. A shirt, blouse or pants can have a stain the won't come out -- and still be CLEAN and fresh. It just has a stain. For some people that's enough of a blemish to toss that item, for others it's not.

Also dressing as you do (as I do often) doesn't mean we don't know WHEN a higher level of dress IS DEFINITELY appropriate. I'm sure you wouldn't go to a job interview, wedding or funeral, or professional appointment dressed like that.

I dress better when I HAVE TO, that's it. And the truth is...that dressing is getting more and more casual. There are very few places and events where one HAS TO ABSOLUTELY dress better or there'd be some repercussion. Short of that -- dress as YOU like.

And if others don't like it -- as long as they're not your boss -- and don't sign your paycheck -- I wouldn't give their opinion too much thought.

I have a friend and co-worker who is always on me about how down I dress -- wrinkled clothes, baggy fit, etc. I ignore her. She dresses better and is a pretentious bee-otch (co-workers opinion of her, so it's not my assessment alone) ...I dress down and co-workers would much prefer my company and working with me.....I know which I'd rather be....ME.

Quote:
Like it or not, your appearance says much about you and what you think of yourself.
No.The only thing it says about you is that you are dressed like that.

Unless people are friends or family they know nothing about you and perhaps if they had more personal awareness they would understand and know THEY know nothing about you other than you are dressed like that. They don't know whether you were doing a project at home in a mansion and had to run to the store, they don't know if you're a Howard Hughes type (dress down billionaire), or are homeless. (Some of the homeless also stink and look dirty and disheveled which is a stereotype in itself, because some homeless continue to dress so you'd never know they're homeless.) Comments about someone "looking" homeless are uninformed so I wouldn't give them much credence.

So, do people make judgements based on a person's looks -- sure they do. But if those people don't have the power to affect your life.....why do you care, and should you care about their opinions?

Last edited by rdflk; 08-23-2013 at 12:44 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 07:56 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,357,772 times
That's me. I honestly don't give a damn what ppl think.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,600,670 times
My workout clothes have some holes on them; I call them 'air conditioning'. I dress like a bum when I workout.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:06 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,150,747 times
I wear clothes like that. If you want to do that and still look cool, make it look punk, like wear a punk bracelet and necklace with it lol. Sew some cool patches on and look at some DIY fashion blogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty