Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:29 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I really like the look of fresh-pressed clothing, but I hardly ever wear any.I actually had to look for the iron last summer when I wanted to wear a specific top. I haven't ironed since then. I only have a few pieces of clothes that need to be ironed or dry cleaned. There are many nice fabrics that don't require either and that works for me.
^This...exactly^

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 11:37 AM

837 posts, read 960,726 times
I also wear looser, flowing fabrics because I can't stand ironing...but for the basic cotton pieces that get a little wrinkly in the closet I use a steamer.

You can buy any iron these days and they usually have a steam function which works great for me, but I also bought one of those industrial/at-home steamers that come with a hanger rod and work for more heavy duty pieces like dresses and wool coats.

I highly recommend it. You just hang your piece and steam the wrinkles out.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:54 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Do you ever abstain from wearing or buying items because you don't want to iron.
Absolutely, if it needs to be ironed, I won't buy/acquire it in first place (have never owned an iron).

Had bad experience of getting burned once as a kid, and didn't go near an iron again.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:13 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
I almost NEVER iron. Once a year. I don't buy clothes that need to be ironed. Sometimes I will iron a shirt for my husband, though.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:52 AM

454 posts, read 793,621 times
I enjoy ironing. Don't have a lot of garments that need it, just the occasional blouse, and kitchen & bedroom curtains. Ironing isn't really a fun thing, but oh my i prefer it to dusting furniture (a futile task: dust returneth!)

Old 07-22-2013, 06:05 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,063 times
I live a very casual life and seldom need to be spiffed up like a fashion model or a professional. I avoid ironing almost totally by drying all clothes for about 5-6 minutes in the dryer on High (this removes wrinkles), removing them immediately and shaking them out (also immediately) and hanging on hangers to finish drying. (I installed a bar over my washer/dryer area solely for this purpose.) Cotton/synthetic knits (or woven) shirts dry virtually wrinkle-free. Cotton knits do quite well but have slight wrinkling. I take my jeans by the cuffs, put the four seams together, shake them well and hang on a hanger like slacks. Jeans won't need ironing when you do this. Same with cropped pants, especially if they are cotton/synthetic blends. Pure cotton pants still have some wrinkling but if you smooth them out, they are "OK" (if you aren't too fussy). You have to move quickly with this method and get everything on hangars as quickly as possible.

Just about the only time I iron anything is when I go on vacation and then I iron everything and fold very carefully to minimize wrinkling while in a suitcase. Then I unpack them at my destination, skake them and hang on hangars.

I don't like my clothes dried in the dryer because everything shrinks. Plus I save energy costs.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:13 AM

917 posts, read 2,005,034 times
I HATE ironing. Is using a steamer easier?

I'm tempted to send some clothes to the cleaners for them to iron them but I'm cheap. Maybe I will do like someone else said and watch some tv while I iron.

I'm tempted to iron all of my clothes for the rest of the week so I wont have to do it everyday.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
I HATE ironing. Is using a steamer easier?
As mentioned above, for me it definitely is. And most irons have a steam setting that is sometimes overlooked if you don't want to go out and specifically buy a hand steamer.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:39 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmorangie View Post
As mentioned above, for me it definitely is. And most irons have a steam setting that is sometimes overlooked if you don't want to go out and specifically buy a hand steamer.
Worse comes to worse, you can hang the wrinkly thing on the back of the bathroom door while you take a hot shower.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Worse comes to worse, you can hang the wrinkly thing on the back of the bathroom door while you take a hot shower.
Or if you live in a humid city like I do, put your shirt on and go stand in the backyard for 5 minutes. I bet that'll do the trick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty