U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 AM

3,877 posts, read 4,576,385 times

Advertisements

I've found as I've gotten older that the really dark colors age my hands. I wear medium reds/dark pinks now and stay away from the deep purples and dark reds. I've tried blue and blue-ish colors on my hands and toes and find that I'm okay with teal tootsies but I don't like the blues on my hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 AM

40,969 posts, read 32,696,264 times
I am fifty one.

I keep my fingernails neutral (either french mani or pale beiges, pinks, etc) and I get a little crazy with my toes. Right now I have a very deep hot pink on them with a little sparkly stone in the middle of a little white flower on each big toe. I've worn blue before and I like some of the blue tones. Green looks awful with my skin. I love oranges, hot pinks, and light blues in the summertime but stick with darker, more classic colors in the fall and winter. I generally go light and bright in the spring.

I also always wear a little toe ring. I am pretty vain about my feet, but hey, I have cute feet! Plus, I live in the south where it's hot for months on end so I wear mostly open toed shoes during those months.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:20 AM

18,434 posts, read 28,532,606 times
I like most any color except black or colors in the brown family.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:43 AM

4,084 posts, read 4,052,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I've found as I've gotten older that the really dark colors age my hands. I wear medium reds/dark pinks now and stay away from the deep purples and dark reds. I've tried blue and blue-ish colors on my hands and toes and find that I'm okay with teal tootsies but I don't like the blues on my hands.
I'm the same way. And it's disappointing, because some of the blues I've bought are gorgeous colors---they just don't look right to me on my fingernails. Toes are ok though.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:50 PM

17,579 posts, read 21,763,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
After a pedi, what color do you choose for your toes?

I had a pale aqua applied, and I had a bit of a hard time getting used to it, but now I like it a lot.

I saw a women recently quite well and expensively groomed, about 10 years younger than I, who had very bright blue polish on her toes. I thought it looked. I kind of like the blues now.

My "go to color" is Essie's Fiji. It's a very pale, opaque pink. It goes with everything and it seems to always make my skin look good. By that I mean a little warmer and golden, which is quite a trick.

I have used a dusty blue and I loved it! In fact, I did not have a pedi in two weeks and I'm going tomorrow and I think I'm going to use it again!

In winter, especially between Thanksgiving and New Year, I am more likely to use a deep red.

In Spring, I like a Poppy color, but I've also used a creamy lavender which I think looks nice.

When it comes to pedi colors, I have seen some 20 and 30 somethings with ill cared for feet that would look terrible in any color - them they make it worse by adding a faux jewel or a painted flower with a toe ring on some really thick and overly long toe nails.
No matter what age, I think that looks tacky. I have no problem with a simple toe ring, but don't decorate what needs rehabilitation. But that goes for any age!

Our feet age the way the rest of us do, and I some people take care of theirs better than others.

But all it all, I think genetics plays the biggest roll in how we age.

Unusual polish for women of a certain age? If you like it, go for it!

Tomorrow I'm having mine painted blue!

Last edited by sheena12; 07-21-2013 at 06:04 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 05:58 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,265,030 times
I am too pink to wear pale pinks though I love them. They just sort of blend in with my skin. Same with pink clothing and neutral beiges and such. I have to go with a deeper/brighter shade and for my toes I like red, hot pink, purple. Sometimes blue (paler blue or aqua). Certain colors make me think of damaged nails, as if something heavy was dropped on it and there's bruising so I avoid those shades.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:02 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,444,629 times
I really like pinks, corals, and taupe or nude shades and those that have that opalescent quality. Silver and wedding white also look good on me. I have never tried the greens or blues, but I think they look kind of nice. I notice a lot of yellow polish now and I really don't like that look.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:08 PM

18,869 posts, read 12,490,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I usually like my toes to match my fingers, and I usually stick with traditional colors like nudes, pinks, corals and reds, but I have been experimenting this season with some new colors on my toenails including a blue that I like so much I wear it on my fingers on casual Friday. It's an amazing duochrome metallic greenish blue from Chanel's spring 2013 collection called "Azure". It's really pretty, especially peeking out of sandals. The duochrome means that the shade shifts when lit from different angles. Sometimes it is more greenish and sometimes more blue, even a hint of a purplish tone when the light hits it just right. They also have a similar one in a deeper, truer blue called "Bel-Argus" but I am pale so I went for the lighter shade. It was one of those splurges where I didn't expect to get a lot of wear out of the color but I have actually worn it pretty frequently. I have to keep telling myself not to go back for the darker one. How many crazy expensive blue nail polishes does one woman need? LOL.
Maybe nail polish is like black slacks or jeans? Meaning, of course, several bottles of course.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:56 PM

9,086 posts, read 1,186,692 times
I try to pick different colors. Usually like the sparkly stuff. Last time I had a sky blue with lost of shiny silver sparkles and loved it!

Old 07-21-2013, 08:13 PM

607 posts, read 717,183 times
Summer it is fushia pink or deep coral... occasionally deep purple

Winter is for RED and burgandy. Only OPI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty