U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:30 PM

3,183 posts, read 2,815,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Ugh, not you again

Anyway, maybe my standards just aren't as high as the OP but I certainly wouldn't consider the vast majority of the population (65%) to be "undesirables". Nowhere near it. Here's how I would put it:

20% undesirable
50% average
20% above average
10% beautiful

It may be possible to shift one category (e.g. go from undesirable to average, or average to above average) but more than that is highly unlikely. There's only so much make-up and weight loss can do.
Things might be different in the Netherlands (which is part of the blogger's point; that America is unusually bad), but here about 1/3 of the population is at a normal weight, 1/3 overweight, 1/3 obese. If we take the simplifying assumption that about the same number of people are still attractive despite being overweight due to unusually good other features as normal-weight people are unattractive due to to unusually bad other features, then you have the 65% he's talking about right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 03:11 PM

4,878 posts, read 4,569,672 times
Some of the most attractive people I met were really ugly once I got to know them.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:26 PM

133 posts, read 179,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Some of the most attractive people I met were really ugly once I got to know them.
ya but most attractive people I meet have good social skills and are decent people

then again, I don't jealous of someone that looks good

Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,222,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Things might be different in the Netherlands (which is part of the blogger's point; that America is unusually bad), but here about 1/3 of the population is at a normal weight, 1/3 overweight, 1/3 obese. If we take the simplifying assumption that about the same number of people are still attractive despite being overweight due to unusually good other features as normal-weight people are unattractive due to to unusually bad other features, then you have the 65% he's talking about right there.
I'm not talking specifically about The Netherlands, I'm talking about people in general. I don't think being (slightly) overweight automatically makes a person unattractive, nor do minor imperfections like pimples or wrinkles or an unflattering haircut. If you really think the vast majority of the population is ugly then your standards are just way too high, in my opinion. We are so used to seeing photo-shopped images of celebrities that we've forgotten what real people look like. It's unnatural to be physically perfect.

By definition, it makes no sense to say that only 25% of the population are "average" or "neutral" in appearance. That would mean that the "average person" is actually a rather small minority compared to the huge number of "undesirables" (65%). The guy in the OP who came up with this statistic claims that the "majority of the people in this category [undesirables] are people that are obese, do not care to maintain their hygiene, and donít care one bit about their appearance." Come on, do you really believe that such people constitute the vast majority of the general population?

Old 07-26-2013, 10:01 PM

4,878 posts, read 4,569,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptedWords View Post
ya but most attractive people I meet have good social skills and are decent people

then again, I don't jealous of someone that looks good
Wasn't jealous either of their vanity, lack of social interaction and their self inflated egos.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:06 PM

just 1 week of him blogging and he has 50 followers

My friend has been blogging for a year and he has only 45

WTF

Old 08-01-2013, 12:27 PM

2,858 posts, read 6,206,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I'm not talking specifically about The Netherlands, I'm talking about people in general. I don't think being (slightly) overweight automatically makes a person unattractive, nor do minor imperfections like pimples or wrinkles or an unflattering haircut. If you really think the vast majority of the population is ugly then your standards are just way too high, in my opinion. We are so used to seeing photo-shopped images of celebrities that we've forgotten what real people look like. It's unnatural to be physically perfect.

By definition, it makes no sense to say that only 25% of the population are "average" or "neutral" in appearance. That would mean that the "average person" is actually a rather small minority compared to the huge number of "undesirables" (65%). The guy in the OP who came up with this statistic claims that the "majority of the people in this category [undesirables] are people that are obese, do not care to maintain their hygiene, and donít care one bit about their appearance." Come on, do you really believe that such people constitute the vast majority of the general population?

I don't think its possible to be attractive and slightly overweight.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:40 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,313,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
It seems the blogger's tone is that most people, at least in the U.S., think they're more attractive than they are.
Well, it's always good to think highly of yourself, yet still realize where improvements can be made (and do them).

Old 08-01-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Well, it's always good to think highly of yourself, yet still realize where improvements can be made (and do them).
good point

Old 08-01-2013, 06:08 PM

that guy's blog seems to have really grown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty