U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:47 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,738,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMdotCOM2011 View Post
I think they are totally inappropriate for the "office" professional. They look sloppy and unkempt and unhygienic.
Agree!

And, it's said that flip flops do not give proper support and those who consistently wear them will end up with foot/leg problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:00 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,366,795 times
Yeah well come and work down here where it's 100 in the shade, and then we'll see if everyone still thinks they're wildly inappropriate, once their feet have turned into balls of fire.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:01 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,750,175 times
The only office this would be appropriate is maybe a boat rental place of some beach-related thing, that is actually on the beach or pool or water.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:49 AM

12,654 posts, read 12,078,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
And, it's said that flip flops do not give proper support and those who consistently wear them will end up with foot/leg problems.
This argument is weak given how poor fitting and supportive most women's shoes are.

I am wondering who all these people with foot and ankle problems are from wearing flip flops. I see many grossly obese people with foot problems, as well as those who never walk further than from their car to the store, have not come across a person with foot problem due to wearing flip flops. I live in Miami and know plenty of people who have wore them pretty much their entire life.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:51 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,706,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Yeah well come and work down here where it's 100 in the shade, and then we'll see if everyone still thinks they're wildly inappropriate, once their feet have turned into balls of fire.
It's that hot in your office? I wear flats to work all summer because I personally think that visible toes aren't office appropriate, and I've never suffered unbearably hot feet for it. Sitting at a desk in an air conditioned room in a professional environment isn't all that strenuous.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I live in Miami and many tourists still wear clothes in the summer like they are in north Canada or something; complaining the whole time about how hot and humid it is. I just think "how about quit wearing thick blue jeans, a polo shirt with an undershirt, and sport shoes, and change into something for appropriate for the weather?"

Some people, once set in their ways, seem to be overly offended by anything counter to their way of doing things.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:54 PM

9,343 posts, read 8,738,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
This argument is weak given how poor fitting and supportive most women's shoes are. I am wondering who all these people with foot and ankle problems are from wearing flip flops. I see many grossly obese people with foot problems, as well as those who never walk further than from their car to the store, have not come across a person with foot problem due to wearing flip flops. I live in Miami and know plenty of people who have wore them pretty much their entire life.
Here is just three of the multitude of articles on the internet:

Are flip-flops bad for your feet? - Natural Health

How Your Flip Flops Are Killing Your Feet

Flip-Flops Comfy but Beware of Foot Pain

Old 09-11-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
You can search for articles showing every shoe is bad for your feet.

How We're Wrecking Our Feet With Every Step We Take -- New York Magazine

There are people who run their whole life and could not even tell you if they are pronated or not, and not even know the meaning of such a term.

Like I stated, your argument is weak that flip flops are bad for your feet considered all of the office correct shoes that are even worse for your feet, like any heel for example.

I would like to know the statistics of people with bad feet, what would be considered bad feet, and if flip flops (or whatever) was the cause of such bad feet.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's that hot in your office? I wear flats to work all summer because I personally think that visible toes aren't office appropriate, and I've never suffered unbearably hot feet for it. Sitting at a desk in an air conditioned room in a professional environment isn't all that strenuous.
I've quit now, but yes.

We were upstairs in an old building, had a very high ceiling and lots of windows.

I had a fan next to my desk but would sit and sweat all day.

Absolutely disgusting, there are no laws against it so the bosses said "tough".

Dear God, please don't let me work in an Office ever again. Regards, Cinders.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:59 PM

Personally I'd rather see pretty, well groomed feet than the scuffed bent up and decades old "dress shoes" my male counterparts insisted on wearing.

You can only imagine what they're hiding.....ugh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty