Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:09 AM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times

Advertisements

Unprofessional period, allowed or not. We have a lady that wears daily them to our office. When she's sitting down at her desk she looks fine. When she walks across the room, flops doing their annoying slap-slap-slap, she looks like she had a lapse and forgot to put her shoes on that morning. As someone else said, might as well wear your bedroom slippers to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 06:05 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Really, this is an OSHA issue, and possible Workers Comp issue...safety, injury, all that..

Flip flops are a hazard. More risk of slip, fall, I suggest all foot wear should be steel toe boots.

Now, that would be interesting memo..."black steel toe boots are now required uniform attire for all positions, non compliance will be written up, three write ups, immediate termination.".

I too would think this as well.

But it is the bosses that should say no, if they don't want people to wear them.
ours apparantely doesn't care, so the fat girl wears them, and we like her, but she wears them almost all year long.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:45 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Unprofessional period, allowed or not. As someone else said, might as well wear your bedroom slippers to work.
That might be preferable.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:53 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
That might be preferable.
Unfortunately though, we'd all be hearing the shuffling noise (remember when it was a stupid fad (that some still do - to wear pajamas and slippers in public?

Old 07-26-2013, 11:57 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Should have been a law against that.... I still see it here in Glasgow and its repulsive and lazy looking when I see young mums wearing jammy bottoms walking kids to school.. I just dont get it... or do they dig out their best ones to show off at the school gate..

Old 07-26-2013, 12:23 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
The owner's company, the owner's rules; what is professional is 100% subjective. Flip flops may be unprofessional to some, completely professional for the situation to others.

Also, regarding the sound; not wearing something correctly does not take merit away from it, there are plenty of guys who cannot seem to purchase a correct sized suit, thus look like they are wearing a garbage bag, and look in my opinion, unprofessional.

I do not wear flip flops at all, only sandals, and would never wear to the office as they are not allowed (except females get away with open toe shoes, sleeveless shirts, above the knee skirts, and numerous other things), I would not even if allowed, but that is my opinion of myself maintaining professionalism. I also think blue jeans are unprofessional and would never wear them to work, even on our casual fridays (office environment).

Old 07-26-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Should have been a law against that....
Why is it the government's business, past a safety issue, in what an owner decides an employee wears to work?

Old 07-26-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Really, this is an OSHA issue, and possible Workers Comp issue...safety, injury, all that..
I hope this is sarcasm.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:47 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I hope this is sarcasm.
Hardly. Where I work, it is required to wear shoes with enclosed toes. Bare, exposed toes, could be easily injured in the environment where I work.

And even in an office, this woman could injure her bare toes by someone stepping on them, her office chair rolling on them, accidents happen. And, no preventative measure is in place by management, enforcing an appropriate work attire. Thus, leaving themselves wide open to a workers comp claim if the woman has an injury to her toes at work.

This is a business, and if they care about their cash, the management should request the employees to be safety conscious, wearing shoes that are enclosed is hardly an inappropriate request, for any business. I wear Keen sandals all the time in the summer, they have enclosed toes, and perfectly acceptable. Better at work than flip flops.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:47 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Well, I wore flip-flops to the office the other day and was told that I cannot wear them. I used to wear them when I worked across the hall in another department and nobody cared. And while I do work the customer service counter, no one sees my feet.

Funny thing is, a lot of sandles are hardly different from flip-flops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty