U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:26 AM

23,903 posts, read 31,130,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
A short sleeve button up really isn't appropriate for a wedding (or anywhere else in life unless you are a high school math teacher). Will there be some idiot there wearing a short sleeve button up or a polo, probably? Do you want to be that idiot? Probably not.
This. Exactly this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 11:34 AM

3,592 posts, read 4,512,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
The wedding is at 3:30 in a place that will be warm all day and night. I'm planning on wearing slacks but how about a short sleeve button up shirt with no tie. To me it seems short sleeves looks better than long sleeves when going without a tie. And no I won't be doing short sleeve with a tie, I'm not going to look like a member of geek squad.
1. Short sleeves on men in a semi-formal setting look like "geek squad" to me anyway.
2. Go classic wear a nice long sleeve dress shirt that coordinates with the slacks;
Example, Gray slacks, paler gray dress shirt in a nice cut and fabric. Be choosy. Carry a tie with you,
in case you're out of place not wearing one to that event.
3. If you're single, dude, there's good pickin's for single men at wedding receptions,
so you might want to think about dressing slightly better than you're describing here,
so that you might impress.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:15 PM

8,992 posts, read 14,192,166 times
I'd suck it up and wear a tie. Were talking a couple hours here to celebrate a special occasion for someone who is your friend. Not a life sentance of having a noose around your neck. Besides, if you find it appropriate to not have the tie on after your there, it is easy to take it off and nobody is going to think bad of you.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:28 PM

7,658 posts, read 7,459,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Again, it depends on the part of the country you are in. What is considered proper or acceptable in Manhattan is not necessarily the same in Atlanta or Dallas ot Denver or Portland. Or in a small town in South Dakota. Context matters.
I'm a travelling consultant - I go to offices all over the country (and some international stuff). Every time a customer has said "business casual", that has always meant khakis/slacks and button-downs/golf shirts, regardless of the region.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:53 PM

8,936 posts, read 15,851,020 times
I would avoid a tux unless it was stated that was what is needed .... leave those to the groom & wedding party

Given what you mentioned I'd go with my standard wedding dress .... nice pants, dress shoes, long sleeved button down & tie and maybe lose the tie at the reception

I'm actually travelling up for my brother in laws wedding ....... my wife is saying that others are wearing suits .... I hate jackets, aside from being uncomfortable I can't stand the sport coat look ..... I'll wear a suit on occasion but really do not like having a jacket on ......... bringing one to the wedding seems pointless as I'll wear the thing for all of 30 minutes, but will probably end up doing it anyhow .... without that request there is no way I'd have a jacket on though, especially at that temp

I just went to a wedding that was very casual .... the groom and wedding party wore khaki shorts with polos, that set the tone for the rest of us

I also have a personal bias against short sleeved button downs in a formal sense - I think they are a complete non starter ........ wearing a more stylish one with a nice pair of shorts or jeans is a different story - just not business casual .... for me that is simply losing the jacket and tie and wearing a lower grade of slacks and dress shirt

Old 07-25-2013, 01:37 PM

21,137 posts, read 22,107,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I'm a travelling consultant - I go to offices all over the country (and some international stuff). Every time a customer has said "business casual", that has always meant khakis/slacks and button-downs/golf shirts, regardless of the region.
Sorry I wasn't more clear...I was referring to wearing of linen and seersucker rather than "business casual"...I agree that would be nice if one owns that kind of clothing but if not I see nothing inappropriate about wearing business casual attire to an afternoon wedding taking place outdoors and you have been told the attire is "casual". I am not a fan of short sleeved button up shirts but a nicer polo or golf shirt and khakis with a good quality belt and clean, polished loafers is a nice look, in many places.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:15 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
Pressed trousers with a crisp crease.
Dress socks.
Loafers or other shoes that cover the feet and aren't designed for sports use (no sneakers of any kind, no sandals of any kind).
A belt.
If it's an indoor reception, then a long-sleeved shirt. If it's an outdoor reception, you can probably get away with short sleeves as long as the shirt is well-made, propertly fitted, coordinates perfectly with the trousers and socks, and buttoned up to the next-to-top button the entire time you're there.
AN UNDERSHIRT. Unless you are a black man, going with a black shirt, wear an undershirt underneath your "presentation" shirt. No one wants to see your man-nips when you sweat on the dance floor.

No tie necessary but you might want to bring one just in case everyone else is wearing one. The same goes for if you choose to wear short sleeves. Bring a long sleeve dress shirt just in case.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:20 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,646,884 times
This sounds like an occasion for so-called “smart casual.”

Smart Casual Look ... Pour Les Hommes Modern

To me, smart casual means you can wear just about anything (including jeans and a t-shirt) if you pair them with really good dress shoes and a blazer.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:59 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,428,209 times
Since invite specifically says "dressy casual" then no tie unless you want to be one of the hipsters and rock a skinny knit tie sans blazer/coat (a lot of times over plaid or gingham shirting). If it's sweltering outside, wear an undershirt & pick up a long-sleeve linen button-up. Short sleeves are way too informal for a wedding. And make sure you've got a pair of leather loafers and a matching leather belt.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:22 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,212,257 times
I'm not opposed to short-sleeved button-downs like some others here are, especially if they work well with your slacks. I wear 'em sometimes and get compliments. BUT, short-sleeves are not appropriate for a wedding, even if the dress code is "dressy casual". Unless the wedding is outdoors in a hot climate.

The general guideline for weddings is to wear a neutral-color or dark-colored (but not black) suit, a classic-colored long-sleeved button-down dress shirt, and a non-flamboyant tie to the wedding, unless the invitation specifies some other dress code. Wear good dress shoes (el cheapos from Wal-Mart ain't gonna cut it, but no need to break the bank either) and ensure they are shined. Take off the suit for the reception.

"Dressy casual" = no suit, no tie. Long-sleeved dress shirt with the top button undone, combine with a blazer unless it's outdoors in a hot climate. May not be necessary to stick to a classic color shirt, but do not wear a "loud" color or ridiculous patterns. Probably best to stick to good dress shoes. Lose the blazer for the reception.

This isn't hard. You must be young, OP. It's fine if you don't like to dress formal; tons of people feel the same way as you. But sometimes you need to suck it up and set your pride aside for a bit...it is very important to know how to dress up properly for special occasions such as weddings, funerals, formal business meetings with executives and partners, and dates at a nice restaurant or upscale establishment. Failure to do so is disrespectful, mocking and embarrassing to others (the bride/groom, your friends, your date, your boss/company, etc.), and they may get a bad impression of you with may have unfortunate consequences for you in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty