U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 07:25 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
I'm not opposed to short-sleeved button-downs like some others here are, especially if they work well with your slacks. I wear 'em sometimes and get compliments. BUT, short-sleeves are not appropriate for a wedding, even if the dress code is "dressy casual". Unless the wedding is outdoors in a hot climate.

The general guideline for weddings is to wear a neutral-color or dark-colored (but not black) suit, a classic-colored long-sleeved button-down dress shirt, and a non-flamboyant tie to the wedding, unless the invitation specifies some other dress code. Wear good dress shoes (el cheapos from Wal-Mart ain't gonna cut it, but no need to break the bank either) and ensure they are shined. Take off the suit for the reception. I think if you are planning on ditching the suit at the reception, your shoes or sleeve length become a non-issue.

"Dressy casual" = no suit, no tie. Long-sleeved dress shirt with the top button undone, combine with a blazer unless it's outdoors in a hot climate. May not be necessary to stick to a classic color shirt, but do not wear a "loud" color or ridiculous patterns. Probably best to stick to good dress shoes. Lose the blazer for the reception.

This isn't hard. You must be young, OP. It's fine if you don't like to dress formal; tons of people feel the same way as you. But sometimes you need to suck it up and set your pride aside for a bit...it is very important to know how to dress up properly for special occasions such as weddings, funerals, formal business meetings with executives and partners, and dates at a nice restaurant or upscale establishment. Failure to do so is disrespectful, mocking and embarrassing to others (the bride/groom, your friends, your date, your boss/company, etc.), and they may get a bad impression of you with may have unfortunate consequences for you in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
Yes, I'm pretty sure casual means business casual and I consider a polo's and short sleeve button up shirts business casual but I think I might opt for the long sleeves. Many of you suggest wearing a coat, did I mention it's going to be outdoors at 3:30 and probably 95 degrees, I don't think wearing a coat makes sense considering it'll be way too hot.

Reading through the thread is a wonderful thing. As is keeping clothed even during the most raucous of receptions.

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-25-2013 at 07:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 08:04 PM

6,515 posts, read 8,597,986 times
'Casual' doesn't mean tank top, shorts and flip flops.
Long sleeve shirt- doesn't matter the temp. or where you are, no open collar, wear a tie and no rolled up sleeves.
No tie with a short sleeve shirt.
If you're wearing a jacket, wear a tie.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:19 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,154,440 times
Quote:
I'm going to my friends wedding and I hate dressing formal. I'm not going to wear a tux and prefer not to wear a tie either? Can I still look appropriate without a tie? The invitation says dress\casual is expected. Thoughts?
If you have any respect for your friend, you'll wear a suit and tie... unless of course you were raised by baboons. Seriously, what is with people these days?

Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 PM

3,968 posts, read 4,396,818 times
Wear what you want. I promise you that your friend will never notice due to being so busy or wear a vest. It takes the attention off of your lack of a tie. Ties are stupid but even I have to wear them to make money.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:01 PM

441 posts, read 1,263,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Where do you work that polos and short sleeves are business casual?
Where isn't it considered business casual??? And for the record I'm in Northern CA and thank god for that! It seems everywhere else in the country people are so uptight about formal wear. Most people don't dress that formally in silicon valley because most people don't care.

Anyways I'm going with long sleeve shirt but my only good pair of slacks is black. Know I just need to find the right color shirt.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:14 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Quote:

Anyways I'm going with long sleeve shirt but my only good pair of slacks is black. Know I just need to find the right color shirt.
Not the color of the bridesmaid dresses!

Old 07-26-2013, 03:09 PM

2,722 posts, read 3,688,764 times
OP, My wife's niece had her wedding in Grass Valley in a "Barn" sort of thing and the bride and groom were in Formal type of wear. Looked hotter than anything from the pics but they liked it and they got some good pics afterwards.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:33 PM

441 posts, read 1,263,427 times
I went to the wedding and almost nobody wore a tie, in fact just about every guy wore short sleeve button up up's and polo's and half a dozen guys were wearing shorts. Yup, I was overdressed.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:43 PM

4,236 posts, read 3,028,074 times
Quote:
I went to the wedding and almost nobody wore a tie, in fact just about every guy wore short sleeve button up up's and polo's and half a dozen guys were wearing shorts. Yup, I was overdressed.
Polo shirts and shorts at a wedding!

Like they're going to the supermarket or the laundromat...

Old 07-30-2013, 08:02 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,403,720 times
Quote:
But at least you weren't the a$$ wearing shorts at a wedding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty