U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 06:46 PM

2,546 posts, read 5,927,818 times

Advertisements

Sure. We all have our flaws.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 06:48 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,310,826 times
Yes, I'd date a guy with a minor deformity - especially if he had a good sense of humor, self-confidence, and I felt comfortable around him.
IMHO, we all have "deformities", some are just invisible.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:09 AM

39,356 posts, read 14,429,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
So my cousin was born with glaucoma in both eyes. He has his life together, for all intents and purposes. He is currently in medical school. The problem is that, even though he works out and has a better abdomen than me, he has strabismus in one eye due to multiple surgeries. He already had surgery, but it had minimal impact. He says that girls automatically write him off due to his eye. He says that he has never been on a date but twice. I have a question for women, would you date a man with a minor deformity? He pretty much is on the road to success and takes care of himself.
Such a deformity wouldn't matter to me. I can't even think of a major physical deformity that would keep me from dating someone.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:17 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
I think it's odd that anything somebody might not like about a way a person looks is being labeled "a deformity."

Old 07-30-2013, 03:33 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,784,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I think it's odd that anything somebody might not like about a way a person looks is being labeled "a deformity."
Well, it is unfortunately. My scars, my messed up bones, my weird looking knees (which is actually called Erlenmeyer flask deformity, so that's a kind of obvious one )etc etc. are definitely not normal and not seen in many people.

So yeah, I consider my physical issues deformities and there are a lot of people who simply won't consider me as a viable partner solely because of them.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:34 PM

303 posts, read 486,153 times
Future hubby has some kind of clot-type thingy on the right side of his chest, so it looks like he has a mini-boob. I have no problems with it whatsoever, but he's super self-conscious about it (and won't go topless at the pool even though he's otherwise very fit).

I find that personality is what matters most, and he's got that in spades.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:38 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
No. Just because somebody doesn't like the way you look, that doesn't equate to "You are deformed."

Old 07-30-2013, 04:14 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,784,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
No. Just because somebody doesn't like the way you look, that doesn't equate to "You are deformed."
But...I am deformed.

And to me it's not an insult, just like people with my disorder joking refer to each other as mutants. I think it's healthier for me to embrace my deformed mutant status than try to hide it or work against it.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:16 AM

1,955 posts, read 3,626,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
Easterner, I think you're misunderstanding. It's not a matter of "picking" -- it's a matter of getting any romantic attention at all. Beggars can't be choosers, unfortunately.
No, I understand. It may not be the case for the person mentioned in the OP. But a lot of people complain about not getting second dates, or entering the relationship phase because people write them off, or don't want to date someone with a "deformity". So either

1) He is not getting women to approach him (which happens rarely even for women)
2) He is going on dates and the women don't want to pursue a relationship any farther. Perhaps he needs to choose women to date who are not so fixated on physical appearance.

Often people keep going after a certain type of person, based on specific characteristic (usually physical), and not paying attention to other potential mates out there because they don't meet their physical ideal. At the end of the day, they are disappointed because a relationship does not materialize when the person they ask out turns out to be shallow, rude, treats them poorly, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty