U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:48 PM

322 posts, read 466,685 times

Advertisements

So my cousin was born with glaucoma in both eyes. He has his life together, for all intents and purposes. He is currently in medical school. The problem is that, even though he works out and has a better abdomen than me, he has strabismus in one eye due to multiple surgeries. He already had surgery, but it had minimal impact. He says that girls automatically write him off due to his eye. He says that he has never been on a date but twice. I have a question for women, would you date a man with a minor deformity? He pretty much is on the road to success and takes care of himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 10:59 PM

10,870 posts, read 18,968,919 times
My husband has a lazy eye. It's not a big deal to me, I could care less. He also has an 8" scar down the center of his abdomen from surgery when he was an infant. Again, doesn't matter to me, I saw it long before we got married.

If your cousin feels like his eye is really noticeable, he should get a pair of glasses, even if they're just plain glass. It will make it less obvious to people looking at him. Anyhow, if he's a med student, then there will be plenty of women who find him attractive pretty soon. I've never heard of a doctor so weird-looking that he couldn't find a wife, have you?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,926,889 times
Well, they always dated me, so I don't guess I would refuse to date them.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:10 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,937,537 times
When I was dating I dated men I was attracted to because they are who they are. Not one aspect of him specifically but the entire man.
So yes if I was attracted to him I would date him.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:52 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,836,068 times
Strabismus is not a deformity.
And what does the fact that he has a better abdomen than you have to do with his dating-ability?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 AM

249 posts, read 339,687 times
Pitt Chick, I agree; "deformity" is probably not the right word; "visible disability" might be better.

WRolle, I am in just about the same position as your cousin. I am blind in one eye and that eye has a tendency to move to one side. My other eye has a limited visual field but (for whatever reason) doesn't move around a lot.

It's not just the position of your eye; it's also the position of your head when talking to people. Humans have a natural urge to put the iother person in the center of our field of vision, so if you have a limited field of vision, your face will appear to not be looking directly at them.

And while I had an easy enough time making female friends when I was young, I had a very difficult time attracting a partner. In fact, when I met "the one", she noticed me specifically because she has the same eye problem!

I'm sure it's a bit off-putting to "regular" people, but please try to understand that it's not easy for us visually-impaired folks. My eye has been called a lot of things ("creepy", "weird"); we would never talk this way about people with missing or damaged limbs. Why haven't we as a society extended this courtesy to other handicaps?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:21 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,345 times
Maybe he needs to do a better job of picking the women he dates?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,642,983 times
I pay attention to the woman's personality. Her looks dissapear in the dark.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 PM

31,259 posts, read 57,446,708 times
Shouldn't this be in the relationships forum?

Old 07-25-2013, 12:32 PM

249 posts, read 339,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Maybe he needs to do a better job of picking the women he dates?
Easterner, I think you're misunderstanding. It's not a matter of "picking" -- it's a matter of getting any romantic attention at all. Beggars can't be choosers, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty