U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2013, 04:25 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 14,724,368 times
Reputation: 10227

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It absolutely isn't the answer. I've seen short tiny girls lamenting that nothing fits and they're size 2. Not every one is 5 ft 7. I wear petite pants and at 5 ft 5, there's no way they should fit -- and they do... but a vast majority of clothing isn't made in petites.

In my family we have large busts to the point if you buy the right size knit top, it won't go to your waist, you will bare your midriff so you have to up a size and if need be alter the sleeve hem. I hate doing this. (3/4 length sleeves are WONDERFUL) And forget wearing a button up shirt -- if it's fits my bust line, the sleeves are way too long, the shoulders are hanging and a vast number of other fit issues are visible.
Same here...I am a size 6-8 from the waist down, but anywhere from a 10-14 from the waist up. Not at all overweight but I have wide shoulders and big boobs. When buying casual clothes and jeans, mens' sizes fit me better but for dresses and separates I often need to have them altered so they fit correctly.

I can't imagine any of this changing if I gained (or lost) weight, it's a proportion thing, not a weight thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2013, 04:36 PM
 
11,432 posts, read 19,443,622 times
Reputation: 18135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am 5'4 and petite pants are way too short for me. Plenty of regular pants are only ankle length on me.
For me -- my waist is barely an inch above my hips, so the smaller rise and length of petites are perfect. Put me in average sized pants and I have "Little old man" pants -- where the waistline ends at my bra band -- no where NEAR my waist.

In all honesty -- what makes me feel horrible is that women always seem to think it's THEM and not the clothing. And the lose weight and clothes will fit attitude falls into a blame the victim mindset. Women are all shapes and sizes. I've seen women wrestlers who are all muscle and they are size 14s.

That's why I think shows like What Not To Wear are SO important. It's so important to get the message that "it's not you, it's the clothing" out there.

What can we expect from clothing made from a size 8 fit model, who fits some sort of standard the designer deems appropriate? In all honestly -- that clothing is really only going to fit HER.

After the clothing is designed, it's then sized up and down -- and then mass produced in production sewing places with often disastrous results .... well -- I can sort of understand why when I go to buy a bra, I can measure than bands of 5 different size 42 bra bands and get 5 different measurements. And NONE of them is 42, they are all 38 inch range.

I won't go there again.

Anyhow -- I think that's why knits are so popular. There's so much ease and fit in knits and the comfort is great in them.

I also think that's why sewing is making a comeback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,876 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Reputation: 25988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

That's why I think shows like What Not To Wear are SO important. It's so important to get the message that "it's not you, it's the clothing" out there.
So true! This really important.

And don't get me started in people who buy items in the wrong size because they don't want to be "that" size. I had a friend not buy a super cute bra because it was a D, and you know "D" is HUGE!




On an autocorrecting iDevice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 05:49 PM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,426,168 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Ok I have a pet peeve. This happens on this forum and all over the place.

Someone, typically a woman, will seek advice or complain that she has trouble fitting a certain garment due to her body shape.

There is always a vocal minority that says the solution is to just lose weight. Then the fit problems will go away.

This is flawed for multiple reasons.
1. Some people's fit issues are due to proportional "problems." They have larger hips, thighs, backs, busts, arms, bellies or whatever else than the typical fit model. If they get smaller, the proportions will likely remain the same in most cases.
2. This logic essentially says, you do not deserve well-fitting clothing until you look a certain way (read this as conventionally attractive)
3. This makes the "goal" of weight loss completely removed from health and 100% appearance focused. This not only encourages people to resort to unhealthy ways to "look good," and assumes that people who "look good" are actually in good health which may or not be the case.

Really it is just silly. If clothing isn't fitting, it is the cut of the clothing not the cut of the person. The best solution is always to find something that is cut for someone with your proportions. If you do want to reshape yourself, go for it. But make sure your expectations are realistic and you are approaching it for the right reasons.


PS I know in my own situation, losing weight exacerbates the fit problems I have.


I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Well in all fairness I do see a lot of complaints coming from those who could lose a few or change body fat. They have these vanity issues so I don't see what the big deal is with some suggesting to lose if one can and others suggesting the proper cuts.

To me its silly to deny a weight problem just as it is to deny certain cuts only work on certain shapes.

People can lose weight for whatever reason they want to. You still have to be healthy about it even if it is for vanity. Unhealthy looks like crap skinny or fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,794,118 times
Reputation: 16226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Well in all fairness I do see a lot of complaints coming from those who could lose a few or change body fat. They have these vanity issues so I don't see what the big deal is with some suggesting to lose if one can and others suggesting the proper cuts.

To me its silly to deny a weight problem just as it is to deny certain cuts only work on certain shapes.

People can lose weight for whatever reason they want to. You still have to be healthy about it even if it is for vanity. Unhealthy looks like crap skinny or fat.
Yes, but what will they do in the meantime? I feel that I need to lose another 30 lbs or so and I'm working on it, but I'm not going to walk around in a burlap sack or muu muu until I'm at a socially acceptable weight. Telling people that likely already know they need to lose weight that they need to lose weight isn't helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 06:41 PM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,426,168 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yes, but what will they do in the meantime? I feel that I need to lose another 30 lbs or so and I'm working on it, but I'm not going to walk around in a burlap sack or muu muu until I'm at a socially acceptable weight. Telling people that likely already know they need to lose weight that they need to lose weight isn't helping.

I just don't see the point of wasting money on clothing when it won't fit in a month.
Personally I just said whatever to it all. At least I didn't obsess. Threw on on shapewear and called it the day. LOL
Why waste money on clothing that won't fit in the end.
Its like the reverse of fitting into you favorite thin dress. Just as annoying, just as expensive but no plans to return to fit into it. You can only alter about about 2'' before the whole garment needs ripped apart and redone.

Some people are in denial. More so with the skinny fat thing than the room to lose pounds thing.
It is really strange how much body fat percentage changes everything.

If people state they are working on it and give the full info from the get go, then they can receive better responses. If you ask a basic question you get basic responses. The poster can always come back and say they are working on it and look for other suggestions.

To me its all just a list of brainstorming solutions and the poster picks the one that works for them.

I think people are a little over sensitive to the weight loss suggestion too. Its just a possible solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,876 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Reputation: 25988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Well in all fairness I do see a lot of complaints coming from those who could lose a few or change body fat. They have these vanity issues so I don't see what the big deal is with some suggesting to lose if one can and others suggesting the proper cuts.

To me its silly to deny a weight problem just as it is to deny certain cuts only work on certain shapes.

People can lose weight for whatever reason they want to. You still have to be healthy about it even if it is for vanity. Unhealthy looks like crap skinny or fat.
Far too many people, particularly women, fall into the "life starts when you are skinny trap."

Life is happening no matter what, better to embrace what you have then sit and wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,794,118 times
Reputation: 16226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I just don't see the point of wasting money on clothing when it won't fit in a month.
Personally I just said whatever to it all. At least I didn't obsess. Threw on on shapewear and called it the day. LOL
Why waste money on clothing that won't fit in the end.
Its like the reverse of fitting into you favorite thin dress. Just as annoying, just as expensive but no plans to return to fit into it. You can only alter about about 2'' before the whole garment needs ripped apart and redone.

Some people are in denial. More so with the skinny fat thing than the room to lose pounds thing.
It is really strange how much body fat percentage changes everything.

If people state they are working on it and give the full info from the get go, then they can receive better responses. If you ask a basic question you get basic responses. The poster can always come back and say they are working on it and look for other suggestions.

To me its all just a list of brainstorming solutions and the poster picks the one that works for them.

I think people are a little over sensitive to the weight loss suggestion too. Its just a possible solution.
Not all of us lose weight in the same way either...I've lost around 25 lbs in the last few weeks and I've BARELY gone down a size. I'm talking, one size down is still a little too snug to wear. Regardless, my boobs don't go away when I lose weight so finding clothing that fits my chest and then paying to get it tailored as I lose weight is probably my best bet. I'd rather pay a couple of bucks to get a well fitting garment tailored when I lose weight than buy a whole new wardrobe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 08:09 PM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,426,168 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Far too many people, particularly women, fall into the "life starts when you are skinny trap."

Life is happening no matter what, better to embrace what you have then sit and wait.

Well that trap is just silly as well. Therapy time for those people. Not an insult by saying that either.
You can embrace other things than vanity too. That would probably be healthier for those that have the mindset of the ST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,876 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Reputation: 25988
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Not all of us lose weight in the same way either...I've lost around 25 lbs in the last few weeks and I've BARELY gone down a size. I'm talking, one size down is still a little too snug to wear. Regardless, my boobs don't go away when I lose weight so finding clothing that fits my chest and then paying to get it tailored as I lose weight is probably my best bet. I'd rather pay a couple of bucks to get a well fitting garment tailored when I lose weight than buy a whole new wardrobe.
I lose weight, my band (bra) gets smaller, and the cup size gets bigger....... So not exactly solving any fit problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top