U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:53 AM

11,499 posts, read 19,604,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Well that trap is just silly as well. Therapy time for those people. Not an insult by saying that either.
You can embrace other things than vanity too. That would probably be healthier for those that have the mindset of the ST.

As true as that is -- it's not just a few women. It's A LOT of women. We're told we aren't good enough until we lose those last few pounds. We're told that losing that weight means our lives will be perfect. C'mon -- if you're married to an alcoholic gambler, losing that 5 pounds won't change him into a Prince Charming. Nor will it give you the strength you need to leave him.

Losing weight isn't magic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 02:03 AM

35,121 posts, read 38,248,079 times
I found the best way to get clothing that fits without using a tailor is to learn how to sew and buy a dress form that is adjustable. I have several shirts that are my favorites but a wee too big in some parts and not quite big enough in other parts, comfortable but not as comfortable as they could be. My solution is to use them as a pattern and adjust where needed for a good fit.

It is the same with the pants, I love stretch jeans but I want colors and a good fit so I am going to make them myself.

I know a lot of gals don't have the time to sew their own clothing and others just don't want to learn or they know how but just don't want to. This is what is right for me and I have enjoyed learning how to sew properly. I'm taking up quilting next.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:29 AM

11,499 posts, read 19,604,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I found the best way to get clothing that fits without using a tailor is to learn how to sew and buy a dress form that is adjustable. I have several shirts that are my favorites but a wee too big in some parts and not quite big enough in other parts, comfortable but not as comfortable as they could be. My solution is to use them as a pattern and adjust where needed for a good fit.

It is the same with the pants, I love stretch jeans but I want colors and a good fit so I am going to make them myself.

I know a lot of gals don't have the time to sew their own clothing and others just don't want to learn or they know how but just don't want to. This is what is right for me and I have enjoyed learning how to sew properly. I'm taking up quilting next.
Hmmmm..... just wait with the quilting. There is nothing more addictive. I've been doing that for over 10 years now....

I grew up with a mother who sewed and sewed well -- as in -- my sister went to her prom in an Yves St Laurent white shantung gown.

I love to watch sewing shows on PBS and a couple of weeks ago Sew It All had Brini Maxwell on -- and her character's creator was a couture sewist. Some of the things that Brini was doing was getting a little "Jeez *I* wouldn't do it that way" sort of attitude from the host, but Brini was showing us couture hand finishes, which I learned at my mother's knee. Sort of felt good to see it again. A lot of sewing has become a little slapdash, that's good enough...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty