U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2013, 02:22 PM
 
10 posts, read 16,501 times
Reputation: 27

Advertisements

Part of the reason I posted this thread was because I had recently posted a profile to an online dating site and I'm wasn't getting hardly any responses to e-mails I had sent. Granted, that's a whole different topic in and of itself as to why that might be the case, but, I know pictures/looks are important and that's kinda what prompted this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I think you look great. The only change that I would make would be to get rid of the t-shirts.
You're right, someone else mentioned that to me in a reputation comment as well. Most of these were taken recently in the summer while it was hot as heck. But yeah, probably time to dress up a bit if I am shooting to present my best self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
It's amazing how hard we are on ourselves. Just looking at the pictures, I thought you were attractive and had a decent body. I didn't even notice the hairline until you said anything. It's a non-issue. I didn't see any gray, and I highly doubt that would be an issue either. I think you look fine with or without the extra 20 pounds. I don't see any need to change anything, and think you should do whatever you think would make you healthiest and happiest, physically.
Thank you! Yes, we're our own worse critic, definitely. That's why I posted, just to see if stuff that sticks out in my mind is apparent to others or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
First off, very ballsy posting a thread like this. Kudos for that.

As a fellow dude, you're doing fine. You are in better shape than the vast majority and you aren't an ugly dude. Regardless of dress style or whatever, girls like guys who look good without a shirt on.

Don't grow facial hair, most women I know like a clean shaven face. Definitely don't shave your head and grow a beard...that'll add a good 10 years on your face.
Haha.. Yeah I don't think I could rock the shaved head look too well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
You posted, I'll answer.
Don't change a thing. You appear on the outside to be attractive.
I hope the inside matches.
Good luck on the dating scene.
Thank you for the kind words! I know interior is far more important than exterior, I do my best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2013, 03:54 PM
 
3,558 posts, read 4,142,267 times
Reputation: 3743
I wouldn't die your hair. Too fake. Just go with the greys. I'm the same with girls. Hate dyed hair and fake nails.

Dressing up a bit is always good but only in the right settings.

What types of emails are you sending these girls? Maybe an example would be good. I used to do good on dating sites and could help a bit. Feel free to pm me if you want. Biggest thing is. 1. Never comment on their looks. 2. Always make mention of something on their profile so they know you took the time to read it and are generally interested in them for more than just looks. 3. Always ask some type of question. That way if they aren't sure how to respond they can reply to the question. Usually a good idea for the first few messages. 4. If you have a sense of humor, poke fun at them or yourself a little. I.e. a girl says "people always think I'm hispanic but I'm actually asian, and I think dinner is a really bad first date" you could say "I see that you're hispanic! That's awesome, I like central american women, and I'm also glad that you really like dinner as first dates!" Or if a girl says she's not into black guys and youre white you could tell her that "I hope you can overcome not being attracted black guys as you can tell I'm very dark skinned" they dont work for everyone but it's a good way to find the girls that can take a joke with a sense of humor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 12:22 AM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,050 posts, read 21,168,230 times
Reputation: 22525
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I think you looked better when you had a little more weight! ( the one with you squatting)
Ditto for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 08:11 AM
 
Location: right here
4,119 posts, read 4,596,028 times
Reputation: 4833
I saw this and couldn't resist....why do you care what we as posters think of your looks? What do you think?

Plus you can be as hot as ever (this goes for women too) and be a complete a**hole-

There is a saying: You have to get out of bed sometime....think about it. Make sure the inside is as nice as the outside.

Good luck and you look fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 11:34 AM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
2,638 posts, read 2,117,164 times
Reputation: 1679
The clothes in the second picture look kind of sleazy. Darker jeans and a more sophisticated shirt, please. I think a darker red shirt would be better than the bright red, but I wouldn't call that bad. The bigger problem for you in online dating probably is your height.

For gray hair, try magnesium oil (less irritating if mixed with aloe). There's a little evidence it helps fight the graying process. I've had gray hairs for years, but the progression is very slow. That could be genetics, but magnesium oil is the only thing I do to fight it. Okay, that and good nutrition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 11:55 AM
 
Location: North Jackson
1,867 posts, read 2,975,873 times
Reputation: 2379
I don't think anyone mentioned the hairline, but it was the first and only problem I saw. Consider a different hair style that doesn't make it so obvious.

I saw no other issues. You're a regular guy, some women will like you, others won't. You won't appeal to everyone, so don't beat yourself up about that.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 12:55 PM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,429,096 times
Reputation: 5326
For 33...

i would back off the hair gel a bit. Its just too much product going on up there. Use something with a matte finish rather than glossy. Glossy looks too jersey shore or wanna be player in his 20s. Stop spiking strait up.
Maybe something like this:
http://www.efunrage.com/wp-content/u...les-2013-1.jpg
Notice the matte texture and its not spiked strait up.

DO NOT DYE IT. You have light hair and its a problem to match to make it look real. Better to look real than like you are stuck in midlife crisis land early.

Clothes - start dressing like a 30 something instead of a 20 something.
Buy jeans that fit, get rid of graphic ts, avoid trendy rinses,cuts in jeans,
I think you could find a more flattering glasses frame too. Something that helps accent the shape of your face. That pair in the pics just isn't flattering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 01:49 PM
 
3,592 posts, read 4,515,429 times
Reputation: 4730
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoolKat80 View Post
I recently have found myself back in the dating pool at age 33. I am wondering if I am maximizing my potential of what God's given me to work with or if there are things I should be doing differently?

Here are my pictures: Photo Album - Imgur (Top two and bottom two are the most recent. Middle two are a year or two old, pre weight loss).

I've already lost 20 pounds and am supposedly sitting around 13% bodyfat. I feel decently fit at this point.

Main thoughts are:
1) I have a high hair line. I don't think it's majorly receding, it's been like (or close to it) my whole life. The way I style my hair spiking up in front seems to exaggerate this. What do you think?

2) I am greying pretty rapidly. It's a genetic thing, one side of my family has nearly fully grey hair by 40. It's still somewhat hidden when I put gel in it. I can always color it, not sure if it's really an issue.

3) Anything else?

Thanks in advance!
Goatee and mustache would look cute on you. And buy yourself some aquamarine colored shirts to play up those beautiful eyes. There's lots you can do about a receding hairline, even though yours is barely there, but get going with that if you want to address it. Hairline looks pretty good to me. You already know your options on the color..there's Just For Men where you can blend the gray into your natural hair color, too.

Got it goin' on dude. I think you're handsome. You won't be single long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 07:07 PM
 
3,558 posts, read 4,142,267 times
Reputation: 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
For 33...

i would back off the hair gel a bit. Its just too much product going on up there. Use something with a matte finish rather than glossy. Glossy looks too jersey shore or wanna be player in his 20s. Stop spiking strait up.
Maybe something like this:
http://www.efunrage.com/wp-content/u...les-2013-1.jpg
Notice the matte texture and its not spiked strait up.

DO NOT DYE IT. You have light hair and its a problem to match to make it look real. Better to look real than like you are stuck in midlife crisis land early.

Clothes - start dressing like a 30 something instead of a 20 something.
Buy jeans that fit, get rid of graphic ts, avoid trendy rinses,cuts in jeans,
I think you could find a more flattering glasses frame too. Something that helps accent the shape of your face. That pair in the pics just isn't flattering.
Try paul mitchells dry wax with a little hair spray. Gives you all the texture and then some without the wet look.

I have a terrible hairline too. A lot like yours amd has been that way my whole life. Not getting worse, just not that great. Just gotta live with it and deal with the cards your dealt. Zero point in dwelling on things you cannot change.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 07:22 PM
 
10 posts, read 16,501 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I saw this and couldn't resist....why do you care what we as posters think of your looks? What do you think?

Good luck and you look fine.
If some suggested to me to get a sleeve tattoo, I wouldn't do it because it doesn't match my personality and style.

However, sometimes a second set of eyes allows you to see things you cannot. I'm not asking for an overhaul, just suggestions towards tweaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
The clothes in the second picture look kind of sleazy. Darker jeans and a more sophisticated shirt, please. I think a darker red shirt would be better than the bright red, but I wouldn't call that bad. The bigger problem for you in online dating probably is your height.

For gray hair, try magnesium oil (less irritating if mixed with aloe). There's a little evidence it helps fight the graying process. I've had gray hairs for years, but the progression is very slow. That could be genetics, but magnesium oil is the only thing I do to fight it. Okay, that and good nutrition.
Well since you're the second person who brought up that shirt, I guess I can't ignore it. I didn't consider that shirt to fall into the affliction/ed hardy/d-bag t-shirt realm, but it's good to know some feel that way.

At 5'10" (not stretching it, that's legit), I didn't think I'd have issues, but yeah I think online the height could be an issue.

I do think I probably need to "grow up" slightly in my dress. I honestly have no idea where 30 somethings shop.

I'll look at magnesium oil. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I don't think anyone mentioned the hairline, but it was the first and only problem I saw. Consider a different hair style that doesn't make it so obvious.

I saw no other issues. You're a regular guy, some women will like you, others won't. You won't appeal to everyone, so don't beat yourself up about that.
Yeah I know I have a high hairline. Was just curious how apparent it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
For 33...

i would back off the hair gel a bit. Its just too much product going on up there. Use something with a matte finish rather than glossy. Glossy looks too jersey shore or wanna be player in his 20s. Stop spiking strait up.
Maybe something like this:
http://www.efunrage.com/wp-content/u...les-2013-1.jpg
Notice the matte texture and its not spiked strait up.

Clothes - start dressing like a 30 something instead of a 20 something.
Buy jeans that fit, get rid of graphic ts, avoid trendy rinses,cuts in jeans,
I think you could find a more flattering glasses frame too. Something that helps accent the shape of your face. That pair in the pics just isn't flattering.
Agreed. Thanks for the picture, this is a super helpful post. I think that hair style could work on me.

Agreed on dressing as well.

I'm not wearing glasses anymore, contacts now and LASIK in a month or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Goatee and mustache would look cute on you. And buy yourself some aquamarine colored shirts to play up those beautiful eyes. There's lots you can do about a receding hairline, even though yours is barely there, but get going with that if you want to address it. Hairline looks pretty good to me. You already know your options on the color..there's Just For Men where you can blend the gray into your natural hair color, too.

Got it goin' on dude. I think you're handsome. You won't be single long!
Thanks so much! I've tried a couple times to do a goatee/stach, but my facial hair grows in all patchy. I appreciate the suggestion though, might try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Try paul mitchells dry wax with a little hair spray. Gives you all the texture and then some without the wet look.

I have a terrible hairline too. A lot like yours amd has been that way my whole life. Not getting worse, just not that great. Just gotta live with it and deal with the cards your dealt. Zero point in dwelling on things you cannot change.
True on the hairline! Not the end of the world, I'm just glad I still have hair! Thanks for the advice on the dry wax, I will look into that.

Lots of ideas in my head now. Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top