Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:07 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I never thought of bathrobes as fashionable... they are functional and have nothing to do with laziness.
This^

I wear the bathrobe to help absorb moisture from the rest of me (after a preliminary drying off with towel),
and put my hair up in the towel, to let it dry out a little, before changing into whatever clothing.

I only wear the bathrobe for a few mins. a day-but it's esp. nice, comfortable, to have in cold winter months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 12:16 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,551 times
They're extremely functional...and necessary!

They're more modest (and secure) than a towel wrapped around like a strapless dress. (I can't tell you how many times I've done that with a towel and it's slipped and fallen off when I went to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee or something.). No way I'd risk doing the towel thing when I have houseguests -- my brother or my nephew really doesn't need to see that!

They're warmer in winter than a towel.

They're cosy when you're sick and have the flu.

I use a terry cloth one in the evenings and in the winter, as a swim suit coverup on my way to/from the hot tub. It's perfect for this.

Also, towels are just too small for some people, even the larger bath sheet size.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:11 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,935 times
I HATE HATE HATE bathrobes. I think its a generational thing. I got like 4 robes for x-mas a kid. Never understood wtf is the point of them.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:35 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I've often wondered what the real need for bathrobes were...I mean isn't a towel enough to cover your modesty if you need to leave the bathroom? Is it just to look a bit more fashionable? Seems sorta lazy too, I mean I think of bathrobes as for people who are too lazy to put on proper clothes but want to walk around the clothes nude or with undies underneath.

In my home they are. There are plenty of times between being fully dressed and naked. There are times in winter that after showering in the evening, I do not want to put on street clothes or wear what I do when I sleep, around the house.

It's a modesty issue not a fashion issue.

My kids were raised to put them on when leaving their bedrooms if not fully dressed. Or slip on a pair of jeans. They are in their teens now and it's best.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:36 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,154 times
Watch me exit the shower and tell me if it's necessary!
Of course a bath robe is necessary...a really long one!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:37 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,663 times
If you eat breakfast in your pajamas at my house, you will need to wear a robe. I think that just pj's is tacky and like wearing underwear to the table. Cover up.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:44 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Don't own one. I have a couple of nightgowns, but I don't wear them either. I have house clothing -- comfy knits to wear around the house. So when I get up in AM I get dressed in yesterdays' clothes. Do my morning stuff, change for work, come home from work, do work around my house, then shower, get into clean knits, make dinner, watch tv, get out of clothes and go to bed.

Since my work is hard physical janitorial, there's no use in showering before work -- I'm gonna get grimy while there. I come home, do my housework -- and get grimy at a home.... and then get clean.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:51 PM

8,269 posts, read 8,644,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I find them completely useless. I dry off and immediately put on whatever it is i'm wearing to bed. If after a workout, I simply put on whatever it is I'll be wearing the rest of the day.
Everybody doesn't wear something to bed.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:03 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I guess you have never lived in the frozen north where you need a nice cozy bathrobe in order to get out of bed in the morning, even though you are wearing a flannel nightgown. I recommend LL Bean or Lands End polar fleece.
Here in the south, it is sometimes necessary to sleep naked, but one still needs to cover up with something in the morning, lest the neighbors gossip about you picking up the morning paper naked.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:08 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Don't own one. I have a couple of nightgowns, but I don't wear them either. I have house clothing -- comfy knits to wear around the house. So when I get up in AM I get dressed in yesterdays' clothes. Do my morning stuff, change for work, come home from work, do work around my house, then shower, get into clean knits, make dinner, watch tv, get out of clothes and go to bed.

Since my work is hard physical janitorial, there's no use in showering before work -- I'm gonna get grimy while there. I come home, do my housework -- and get grimy at a home.... and then get clean.
Same here, I'm a painting contractor and shower when I get home on work days.`

I also have "comfy knits" but do own two bathrobes as well. Mostly for winter, nothing to do with modesty or fashion. Get out of shower, wrap hair in towel, slather on moisturizer, put on terrycloth robe, putz around for a few until I've dried off, put on some regular clothes.

A very cozy thing in winter. Never occurred to me it might be a generational thing; I'm 55.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty