U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:25 PM

151 posts, read 165,134 times

Advertisements

Like I said in a previous thread:

"The difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care that you don't have tattoos."

You don't have tattoos? Good for you.
You do have tattoos? Good for you.

As long as my tattooed existence isn't personally affecting you than why do you care so much?

Leave it alone. People are going to do what they want regardless of what anyone else thinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 01:40 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,394,615 times
The people who judge others for getting a tattoo that might have been a decision made when younger are the same people that give a pass to politicians who seduce subordinates, shame their families and disgrace their office because somehow it doesn't have anything to do with their job.

Hypocrites all. One more thing, although I don't have one, most tattoos look better than the faces of those who judge others for having them. A tattoo can be explained if need be but ugly? Well, ugly can't be washed away or covered up can it? No matter how you get your hair done, the fancy clothes you might wear, ugly is ugly even on the most handsome or pretty face.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:15 PM

834 posts, read 888,348 times
My wife is getting her three tattoos removed. Because our teenage daughter doesn't approve them on her.

Lesson learned: Tattooed folks can raise their kids properly. But then have to deal with it as well.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:45 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,809,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
My wife is getting her three tattoos removed. Because our teenage daughter doesn't approve them on her.

Lesson learned: Tattooed folks can raise their kids properly. But then have to deal with it as well.

Your wife is getting her skin lasered because your daughter doesn't 'approve'?

My parents would never let their kids rule over them like that.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:20 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,333,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post

Perhaps you are confused on the whole parent child relationship thing.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:37 PM

781 posts, read 796,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I really despise the term "tramp stamp" and find it rather misogynistic.

I have a tattoo on my lower back, which I got in 1999. My reasons were:

- great piece of skin, little distortion, protected from the sun
- not going to sag with time
- extremely unlikely to be marred with a surgical incision
- easily concealed and I can choose who to expose it to
- it is aesthetically a pleasing location
It isn't misogynistic at all to be honest. Perhaps not in all cases, but most women who get these are in fact, tramps and suffer from low self esteem. I've never seen one on a man, but I would presume that they would have similar issues if they had.

I wouldn't consider a woman who had one to be a quality, emotionally healthy woman, much like someone wouldn't consider someone with bizarre tats or piercings to be a competent professional. Neither are 100% accurate perceptions, and perhaps even a bit unfair, but where there's smoke there's fire.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:42 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,373,057 times
Mod cut: Orphaned.

Tattoos are a personal decision and should be respected, end of.

HOWEVER some of us oldies are very concerned about the sheer numbers of youngies getting tattooed.

Some will be like Jet Jockey, who I'm sure looks awesome, but the vast majority are young, stupid, and subject to peer pressure, lack of foresight, and the whims of fashion.

Tattoos as a "fashion statement" are everywhere now and us older types loathe them especially on pretty young ladies who have skin like silk.

Tattoos were just beginning to become fashionable when I was a teenager, back in the 80s. This generation didn't invent them, or invent their place in fashion.

Nowdays I'm totally thrilled I resisted the urge way back in the day and now at nearly 50 am the proud owner of a completely smooth, scarless, unadulterated body.

I'm the rarity, most women my age (and class ) have had the tatts done 30 years ago and are embarrassed as hell by them now - also, they don't look so good anymore. Your cute little daisy has turned into a droopy old sunflower.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-07-2013 at 08:30 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 04:42 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,809,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Orphaned.

Tattoos are a personal decision and should be respected, end of.

HOWEVER some of us oldies are very concerned about the sheer numbers of youngies getting tattooed.

Some will be like Jet Jockey, who I'm sure looks awesome, but the vast majority are young, stupid, and subject to peer pressure, lack of foresight, and the whims of fashion.

Tattoos as a "fashion statement" are everywhere now and us older types loathe them especially on pretty young ladies who have skin like silk.

Tattoos were just beginning to become fashionable when I was a teenager, back in the 80s. This generation didn't invent them, or invent their place in fashion.

Nowdays I'm totally thrilled I resisted the urge way back in the day and now at nearly 50 am the proud owner of a completely smooth, scarless, unadulterated body.

I'm the rarity, most women my age (and class ) have had the tatts done 30 years ago and are embarrassed as hell by them now - also, they don't look so good anymore. Your cute little daisy has turned into a droopy old sunflower.
I agree about making sure kids know what they're getting into when getting tattooed. Any decent shop owner and tattoo artist also cares and will do whatever they can to make sure everyone involved is happy. I don't know a single person who is into tattooing as artwork that actively encourages people to run out at age 18 to get a tattoo...most (and that includes myself) tell them to wait a bit and work with an artist to make sure that's what they want. I don't want people to regret their tattoos, I want them to love them forever, and take care of them so they don't become blobs or 'droopy old sunflowers'.

The reasons the women your age have droopy, blob-like tattoos is probably because they didn't take care of their skin (NO TANNING. EVER. PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION. I wear a ton of sunscreen and carry a parasol during the summer, I also exfoliate and moisturize my tattoos regularly) or they went to 'scratchers' or tattoo artists that used poor techniques and even poorer quality inks. I always advise people to spend time looking at portfolios and touring tattoo parlors and ANY quality artist will have a minimum of a month wait. If you walk into a parlor and can get an appointment that same day, run away! My artist has a minimum 3 month wait right now because he's in such demand and that's the type of artist you want. Also, cost....tattoos aren't cheap. A cheap tattoo won't be good, and a good tattoo won't be cheap. It's on your skin FOR LIFE so be willing to spend some cash!

I'm pretty proud of my body, scars, stretch marks tattoos and all I've been through a lot...probably a lot more than people twice my age or older and I have the marks to prove it. I've earned my marks and I don't need random people (this is in general, not directed at you )telling me I should be ashamed of myself.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-07-2013 at 08:31 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 05:35 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,957,909 times
They're not for me, but to each his/her own. I make no moral or behavioral judgments on others who have tattoos & none of us knows another's motivation for getting one. My da' had one on his bicep from the military when a teen, common during the Korean War & I'd imagine other wars. It was some sort of ship with an anchor... I think the ship he trained on in either the Irish Naval Service or USCG. All 3 of his brothers, who were in the service at that time also had 1 bicep tattoo. Rite of passage for some & too much spirit-imbibing for others. Probably both in their cases. All 4 of my brothers were in the USAF, but none have tattoos.

In other cases, I'm guessing by one 25-yr old niece who is virtually covered in tattoos (from her feet to her chin), piercings, plugs & various other fads I forget now, that much of it is due to wanting to fit in with peers (tattooed peers, obviously), mimicking magazine/celeb fashion & desiring to be noticed by being different. I dare not tell her that she can be different without neon dreadlocks, earplugs, belly rings, some giant nose piercing (like a bleedin' spike/arrow through one nostril & out the other), goth makeup/dress, a silly tongue piercing that is so huge she speaks with an even huger lisp, a giant, Gothic 'Imperfect' tattoo from one side of her neck to the other & much more, which make it difficult for her to get a job (I suspect that might be the plan on her part, quite actually), but it's her life to live... at her mum's expense. Still, none of my business, I guess. She'd vehemently deny it now, but I find it hard to believe she won't regret all the tats later in life... the rest can be taken out, thrown away, cut off, closed up or washed off.

But, I personally don't like them on anyone, mainly for their permanency. Also, if one doesn't stay in shape... well, I've seen melting, fading tats on old, crinkly, crepey or blubbery skin & it's just not pleasant looking to me on men or women. I wonder if many would decide on a particular haircut if they had to keep it forever? Many of us would be stuck with big, teased, sprayed (Aqua Netted to death), streaked, shoulder-length, 80s hair... & that's just the lads. Yikes! Or, a 60s shag. Or, a mullet. Or, these...

Fun for awhile, if that's what one wishes... but forever?

Styles come in & out of fashion & personally, I like the option to change. Oscar Wilde said it best, 'Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we must change it every 6-mos.' Tattoos aren't easily changeable, regardless of why someone has one.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:44 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,333,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post

Styles come in & out of fashion & personally, I like the option to change. Oscar Wilde said it best, 'Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we must change it every 6-mos.' Tattoos aren't easily changeable, regardless of why someone has one.
Not everyone gets one as a "fashion" choice. If you get something that is meaningful to you it will never go out of "style".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty