U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:48 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,015,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Not everyone gets one as a "fashion" choice. If you get something that is meaningful to you it will never go out of "style".
Unless you're 1 second before death, one cannot possibly predict that. Anyone with half an ounce of wisdom from life knows that the only constant in life is change itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 05:52 PM

9,330 posts, read 11,168,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
It was a trend in 2005. Now they're all regretting it 8 years later.

Bingo we have a winner! For guys it was the truly badazz tribal arm tattoo that identifies exactly what again?

If you really want to pi$$ someone off with a tribal arm tattoo, point out they must have been a big fan of the Pam Anderson movie "Barbed Wire"

Once the name "tramp stamp" became popular that tattoo location was instantly "OUT"

Old 08-06-2013, 05:55 PM

9,330 posts, read 11,168,097 times
Best deterrent for tattoos: Go to a theme park or even better a water park and sit for an hour......you will be stunned by the amount of bad art, bad ink and sloppy bodies they are added to!

Old 08-06-2013, 06:05 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,289,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
It isn't misogynistic at all to be honest. Perhaps not in all cases, but most women who get these are in fact, tramps and suffer from low self esteem. I've never seen one on a man, but I would presume that they would have similar issues if they had.

I wouldn't consider a woman who had one to be a quality, emotionally healthy woman, much like someone wouldn't consider someone with bizarre tats or piercings to be a competent professional. Neither are 100% accurate perceptions, and perhaps even a bit unfair, but where there's smoke there's fire.
I have no tattoos, don't want any, and would never date a man who thinks a term like "tramp stamp" is perfectly okay.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:06 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,333,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Unless you're 1 second before death, one cannot possibly predict that. Anyone with half an ounce of wisdom from life knows that the only constant in life is change itself.
You can't predict what? What is meaningful to you?

Old 08-06-2013, 06:08 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,015,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Best deterrent for tattoos: Go to a theme park or even better a water park and sit for an hour......you will be stunned by the amount of bad art, bad ink and sloppy bodies they are added to!
Lol. Indeed. Most who have spent any time in Rockaway Beach, Ocean City Maryland, the Jersey Shore, Pensacola Beach, or Huntington Beach would concur.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:37 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,419,773 times
It's just a very disrespectful term. Anybody making judgment calls on the sexual habits of strangers based on absolutely nothing, and flinging around accusations of prostitution, etc. is, in my opinion, a person whose level of class and breeding is in question. Quite a bit moreso than responsible, contributing member of society with some ink in her lower back, actually.

But, you know, it's really classy how some of you toss around the **** label.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:49 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,812,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Not everyone gets one as a "fashion" choice. If you get something that is meaningful to you it will never go out of "style".
Exactly. I received my first tattoo 12ish years ago and I still love it. I've obviously received more work since then and don't regret any of it. In fact, the vast majority of people I know who are tattooed don't regret theirs either...maybe it's because they thought it out, went to a professional and had it done correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I actually agree with you there. There are a lot of people who get terrible work done because they don't go about getting tattoos the correct way.

Just because some idiot has a sloppy, poorly done, faded tattoo doesn't mean they're all like that though. There are some absolutely INCREDIBLE artists out there doing amazing work. Try going to a tattoo convention sometime and seeing people who are serious about their work, and put some real time and effort into it. It's a stark difference from the Joe Shmos you'll see at a theme park.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 PM

10,589 posts, read 10,328,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilist View Post
Mr. Bach's statement is quite true, although it won't be accepted by some. Regardless of the point that I agree with the human body being created perfectly, and altering it artificially is foolish.

Visible tattoos are definitely seen as lower class by many of us who are the boss, the man. For 26 years I was an airline pilot, and never saw visible tattoos on my colleagues. I know a few had them, but they had to keep them covered up. Visible tattoos were commonly seen on rampers, mechanics, cleaners, etc., but not on pilots. (Hint: lower/higher class career)

Since I took leave from flying large jets around, I've been in business. Both as an executive with a large corporation, and now as CEO of two companies I started. You won't see tattoos on any of our people except at the lower labor levels. Those of us at a certain level and above just probably aren't going to let you in the club if you're flaunting ink that we see.

You may be brilliant, a hard worker, and all that, but guess what; there are plenty of others who haven't inked up their bodies who are just as qualified.

Obviously that isn't true across the board in all business, but it is in the circles I operate in.

Life's all about the choices we make. We make our own opportunity and "luck", just as we make our own disadvantages at times. Choose wisely...
It really is common sense. Even as a child you could figure this stuff out...Remember the goon and I am sure everyone saw one of these people as a kid. The guy with the word love on one set of knuckles and the world hate on the other hand...What did you think of such a person when you were a kid? That he was cool? That it was someone to look up too? NO- even as kid you would wonder "why would he do that?"

I have seen beautiful tattoo work. There is the kid at the wine store who has full sleeves on both arms...Very nice- but the other day I had a good look..They were horror scenes that looked like they were out of some Goth comic book. Thousands of dollars spent on very colorful tatts.....BUT when I view this guy - I don't see him as a person first - I see him as a tattoo first and a person second.

Getting back to the post I am responding too. The man is correct- I have seen a few very powerful people in my life who boarder on running nations and were tycoons in business....I did not see one single tattoo....Hate to break it to you kids but it is low class.

Also my parents who had to do a lot of dodging and the taking on of different identities to survive WW2....My mother said - never get a tattoo - it can be used to identify you when you need to not be identified.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 PM

7,696 posts, read 12,858,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post

Hate to break it to you kids but it is low class.

I have to admit that I think that too !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty