U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 38,328,551 times
Reputation: 16099

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
For me, personally, I can't think of a tattoo that I could have chosen at age 20 that I would still think was meaningful or interesting 15 years later. That's why I don't have a tattoo.
Makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2013, 11:16 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 38,328,551 times
Reputation: 16099
Question for those that say having a tattoo is low class or any other negative impression. What would happen if you found out someone you greatly respected had a tattoo? Would that instantly make you change your opinion of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2013, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,474 posts, read 22,724,584 times
Reputation: 45171
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Question for those that say having a tattoo is low class or any other negative impression. What would happen if you found out someone you greatly respected had a tattoo? Would that instantly make you change your opinion of them?
I'd be more put off if I found out they smoked than if they had a tattoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2013, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Middle America
35,821 posts, read 39,399,524 times
Reputation: 48621
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
For me, personally, I can't think of a tattoo that I could have chosen at age 20 that I would still think was meaningful or interesting 15 years later. That's why I don't have a tattoo.
I chose mine around age twenty, contemplated them for a while (decided if I was still into the idea five years later, I'd go ahead and get them), and then got one at age 26 and the other at age 29. Ten years after getting the first one, I still love them both, they are both still personally meaningful, and am still glad I have them. Just me. It's not something I took lightly, either in design or positioning. I'm imagining in another decade, I'll be just as cool with judgment as I have been this past one.

I did want to make sure my choices weren't something my taste would grow away from, which was why the five-year delay (nine years, for the second, more complicated one) to think it over. I did choose symbols that have to do with my ethnicity, vs. just something that I thought was trendy. When I was twenty, I was also into the celestial design theme that was trendy at the time...all about the sun, moon, stars. I never considered going that design route, because I rightly guessed that my tastes would change, and sure enough, my sun/moon/stats afghan, shower curtain, dishes, earrings, wall art, etc. all got packed away/redistributed/etc. I'm pretty satisfied with my decision to go with designs representative of my family's background...that's something that will always be with me, versus some logo of potentially fleeting interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2013, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,371 posts, read 17,500,232 times
Reputation: 18346
We live in a world where one single action tends to define someone in the eyes of others. So-and-so has a tattoo of _____ or likes to wear _____, or listens to _____ type of music, and on it goes. It's a shame so many people will judge you for a single form of expression or a personal preference which is harmless to everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2013, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 4,957,085 times
Reputation: 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Not everyone gets one as a "fashion" choice. If you get something that is meaningful to you it will never go out of "style".
I agree & indicated that above. Consider, however, most people change as they age in varying ways & meaningfulness differs from decade to decade. Do you know what style you'll be wearing, beyond tattoos, when you're 30, 50, 70?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2013, 05:06 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 38,328,551 times
Reputation: 16099
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I agree & indicated that above. Consider, however, most people change as they age in varying ways & meaningfulness differs from decade to decade. Do you know what style you'll be wearing, beyond tattoos, when you're 30, 50, 70?
Again it isn't about "style" for some. For example, lets say you get a tribute tattoo for a dead relative. Or if you have been a pilot for 20 years and get something related to that. Or you were in the military.

Although I'm certainly not knocking anyone if they do get one for "fashion" or "Style" or any other reason. Could they regret it? Sure. Doesn't bother me in any way. For example I know someone who got a tattoo of a piece of art they have admired for many years. Is there a chance they would some day not like it any more? I guess. But doesn't seem likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2013, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Oviedo
452 posts, read 542,641 times
Reputation: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Though there is no way to prove it, I'd bet you are wrong about that.

Most girls raised to be ladies are not going to wind up with tats anywhere, much less large visible tramp stamps. Just as women can dress like a **** to attract a certain type of attention, so too do women get permanent tats for the same reason. Try looking at strippers and porn stars these days and all you will see are tats, pierced tongues etc. I imagine street walkers also have them, but I wouldn't know.

These certainly are not Amish, Mormon or other religious or properly raised women.
I was raised to be a lady, but I have tats. I was raised strict southern Baptist. As a matter of fact, I'm the one that's always under fire for my stance on the role men and women should play. I was properly raised, but I found that my ministry called me to swim with sharks. My tats open doors.

My tats are lovely and well placed, suited to who I am and go all the way from one shoulder to the other and down to my shoulder blades.

No tramp stamp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2013, 06:20 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,434 posts, read 28,541,856 times
Reputation: 19578
It really bothers me that someone would think they are better than someone else for any reason, let alone because someone has tattoos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2013, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,806,379 times
Reputation: 16226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
It really bothers me that someone would think they are better than someone else for any reason, let alone because someone has tattoos.
Agreed. But, I guess that's all some people have...the misguided notion that they're 'better' than an anonymous person on the internet. Pretty sad, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top