U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2013, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
Reputation: 48613

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I agree & indicated that above. Consider, however, most people change as they age in varying ways & meaningfulness differs from decade to decade. Do you know what style you'll be wearing, beyond tattoos, when you're 30, 50, 70?
A good argument for choosing according to something other than style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2013, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 4,954,445 times
Reputation: 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Again it isn't about "style" for some. For example, lets say you get a tribute tattoo for a dead relative. Or if you have been a pilot for 20 years and get something related to that. Or you were in the military.

Although I'm certainly not knocking anyone if they do get one for "fashion" or "Style" or any other reason. Could they regret it? Sure. Doesn't bother me in any way. For example I know someone who got a tattoo of a piece of art they have admired for many years. Is there a chance they would some day not like it any more? I guess. But doesn't seem likely.
All good points, Manderly. I agree with you & I think our definition of the word fashion or style differs. If a pilot gets a plane tattoo, to me that is a style... his/her style or his/her profession's style (like my relatives' military ship tattoos), but still style. Perhaps I'm not using the proper word? If someone gets a rose tattoo because celebs or their friends have it, I'd still call that style, but I see your point... I suppose it could be labeled more a fashion trend.

Addressing other posts... no one needs to be put down for their fashion choices, including tattoos, piercings, etc & I'm a bit surprised by the judgments some make of others based on them. At the same time, being honest, we all know that others judge how we look from the second we leave our homes. Form-fitting or baggy clothing, colored hair, style of shoes or even car bring up preconceived notions from others... rightly or wrong... still, we all know it will happen each & every day. Brightly colored orange or blue hair isn't my thing & I'd certainly notice it, but I'd prefer not to assume I know anything about a person who chose to have it.

100-yrs ago I worked in a hair salon, which had a tanning bed. Since employees could tan for free, everyone was bronzy. Everyday the equally bronzy owner would tell me she needed to top off her tan & I didn't pay much attention as a non-tanner, because it just didn't interest me. Nothing against it if someone chooses it for themselves, just not my thing. Apparently, I wasn't catching the hint that she was indicating I should tan & one day she blurted out, 'Dear lord, I have to tan now! My skin is so white it's disgusting!' As someone who is pale white, I very straightforwardly told her that I didn't appreciate such unkind words, if they were directed at me it was unprofessional & she shouldn't have hired me or at least have made it clear she wanted only tan-fans as employees. She said, 'White skin is sickly skin.' I quit at the end of the day. I still don't tan & my white skin isn't disgusting... it's quite clear & nice, actually. But, that's my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2013, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 4,954,445 times
Reputation: 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
A good argument for choosing according to something other than style.
Good point, TR. I've met a few people covered in tats. None of them regretted the choice to begin tattooing, although each one said they have one they regretted, probably as it was a spur of the moment choice... a girlfriend's name, initials of an unrequited love, etc. Remember when Johnny Depp had 'Winona Forever' tattooed on his arm, then after their split had it whittled down to 'Wino Forever'?

But, I guess it brings up the question, aren't all tats a fashion statement? It is a style, if that's the right word & as with any style (hair, makeup, eyeglasses, clothing preferences), don't we want others to notice? Because even those who say they don't care what others think of how they dress... well, they're being seen & judged based on appearance, too. Especially considering tats in places one can't easily see, like the back or the butt... are people looking at them in the mirror when they say they got them for themselves, or is it so others can see them, even if in the latter 2 locations, it's just those of one's choosing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2013, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,798,792 times
Reputation: 16226
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Good point, TR. I've met a few people covered in tats. None of them regretted the choice to begin tattooing, although each one said they have one they regretted, probably as it was a spur of the moment choice... a girlfriend's name, initials of an unrequited love, etc. Remember when Johnny Depp had 'Winona Forever' tattooed on his arm, then after their split had it whittled down to 'Wino Forever'?

But, I guess it brings up the question, aren't all tats a fashion statement? It is a style, if that's the right word & as with any style (hair, makeup, eyeglasses, clothing preferences), don't we want others to notice? Because even those who say they don't care what others think of how they dress... well, they're being seen & judged based on appearance, too. Especially considering tats in places one can't easily see, like the back or the butt... are people looking at them in the mirror when they say they got them for themselves, or is it so others can see them, even if in the latter 2 locations, it's just those of one's choosing?
This is an excellent question. I suppose I could liken it to buying a beautiful painting that you love and hanging it in your bedroom. You may not show it to everyone and most of the people you come in contact with won't know it's there, but it makes you happy and makes your space better because it's there. For the record, I have a framed poster of 'Lilith' by John Collier in my room that makes me really happy for some reason. I don't wear 'racy' clothing so most people don't even know I have my upper back tattooed, and unless it's really hot I usually wear long sleeves so my sleeve doesn't show either. At my current job, I was here nearly 6 months before anyone even knew I had a tattoo

Some people get them to look 'tough', some get them to fit in, some get them because they wanted one, some get them because of peer pressure and some get them because they like the art of tattooing. I'm sure there are as many reasons as there are tattoos, really.

My tattoos honestly make me happy, and I don't necessarily expect others to understand that. I didn't get them for others enjoyment or voyeurism, I got them because I wanted them and other peoples opinions really didn't matter to me. As a bonus, they help cover up IV marks and scars from the medication I have to take due to a genetic condition I have. I do, however, think that a person who is fairly heavily tattooed does have to have a certain personality because of all the Judgey McJudgersons that are out there, and you have to have a thick skin and the ability to stand up for yourself.

All in all, it's just flesh really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2013, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 4,954,445 times
Reputation: 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Some people get them to look 'tough', some get them to fit in, some get them because they wanted one, some get them because of peer pressure and some get them because they like the art of tattooing. I'm sure there are as many reasons as there are tattoos, really.
Agreed, Jet, good points. And, the same can be said for anything everyone else sees... hairstyle/color, jewelry, manners, eating habits when in restaurants. We're always seen & we're always judged, like it or not.

Quote:
My tattoos honestly make me happy, and I don't necessarily expect others to understand that. I didn't get them for others enjoyment or voyeurism, I got them because I wanted them and other peoples opinions really didn't matter to me.
I think even if one has them to be seen, that's okay, too, if one can handle the double looks or odd comments sometimes sent one's way. Matthew Lesco knows others are checking him out... or should I say, questioning him... yuk, yuk, yuk... Right, I'll see myself out now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,798,792 times
Reputation: 16226
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Agreed, Jet, good points. And, the same can be said for anything everyone else sees... hairstyle/color, jewelry, manners, eating habits when in restaurants. We're always seen & we're always judged, like it or not.



I think even if one has them to be seen, that's okay, too, if one can handle the double looks or odd comments sometimes sent one's way. Matthew Lesco knows others are checking him out... or should I say, questioning him... yuk, yuk, yuk... Right, I'll see myself out now.


What you put out there appearance-wise will always be judged and I completely understand that. I've learned over the years that judging by a persons appearance isn't necessarily a good thing though. I think that point really hit me when I started in private aviation and realized that A LOT of very wealthy, very influential and very intelligent people tended to dress and act like bums. Some of our biggest investors would show up to meetings wearing sweatpants and hoodies and the owner of the company I worked for was often seen walking around in flip flops, cargo shorts and a tank top. Most people would probably write him off as some slacker surfer dude but in reality he was a very respected pilot and businessman.

So, I've really tried to train myself not to judge a book by it's cover and to really get to know people even if they look 'undesirable' on the outside. I've met some absolutely incredible people that way so I don't plan to stop anytime soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2013, 08:38 PM
 
Location: NW Indiana
39,366 posts, read 14,438,747 times
Reputation: 99478
It has been requested that this thread be reopened. Done. However, PLEASE stay on topic and PLEASE respect one another. Everyone is entitled to express their own opinion, and users should respect each other regardless of their opinions.

Now post away, stay on topic, and watch your language! Thanks.

.
__________________
My posts as a Moderator will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS And check this out: FAQ
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
___________________________
~ Life's a gift. Don't waste it. ~

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-10-2013 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2013, 03:26 PM
 
Location: England
781 posts, read 796,313 times
Reputation: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Oh, fiction can be fun.

Powerful people with Tattoos, hmmm, just a few foreign leaders, former presidents, what was that about not running nations?


Franklin D Roosevelt

Theordore Roosevelt (Family crest across his chest)

Winston Churchhill

George Schultz - US Secretary of Labor

Thomas Edison

Congresswoman Mary Bono Mack

Rep. Duncan Hunter, has tattoos on his arms to commemorate his three deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Senator Barry Goldwater

John Fedderman - Former Mayor in Pennsylvania

Antonio Villaraigosa - Former Mayor of LA

King Alexander of Yugoslavia

John F Kennedy Jr

King Frederick IX of Denmark

King George V

George Orwell
Not a single one of those people have or had a tramp stamp. Not all tattoos are created equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2013, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,877 posts, read 28,163,256 times
Reputation: 25993
OMG, my 18 year old self would have gotten something like this!
http://doblelol.com/thumbs/smiley-fa...4080317449.jpg

And my 12, 18, and 35 year old self hates pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2013, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Moreno Valley, Ca
1,763 posts, read 1,170,978 times
Reputation: 3796
I just love how some people are posting that tattoos are low class, trampy, mistakes...blah blah blah.

IMO, judging people like that is what is low class. Step off of your pedestal and walk around on the ground for a while. You may like what you see and experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top