U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2013, 11:45 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,279 posts, read 3,732,040 times
Reputation: 4001

Advertisements

I really despise the term "tramp stamp" and find it rather misogynistic.

I have a tattoo on my lower back, which I got in 1999. My reasons were:

- great piece of skin, little distortion, protected from the sun
- not going to sag with time
- extremely unlikely to be marred with a surgical incision
- easily concealed and I can choose who to expose it to
- it is aesthetically a pleasing location

Last edited by Wry_Martini; 07-31-2013 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2013, 12:10 AM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,798,792 times
Reputation: 16226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Though there is no way to prove it, I'd bet you are wrong about that.

Most girls raised to be ladies are not going to wind up with tats anywhere, much less large visible tramp stamps. Just as women can dress like a **** to attract a certain type of attention, so too do women get permanent tats for the same reason. Try looking at strippers and porn stars these days and all you will see are tats, pierced tongues etc. I imagine street walkers also have them, but I wouldn't know.

These certainly are not Amish, Mormon or other religious or properly raised women.
I can all but guarantee I know more tattooed women than you do.
I also know that the VAST majority of them are wives, mothers, businesswomen etc. and not strippers and porn stars or 'street walkers'.

And I disagree completely with religious women being properly raised...there's a reason all the guys in my high school used to go after the girls from the private Christian school...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2013, 06:30 AM
 
3,595 posts, read 3,576,650 times
Reputation: 4957
Suffering from 'tattoo regret' - CNN.com

Change Your Mind About That Tattoo? You're in Good Company | Tattoo Regret Common | Tattoo Laser Removal Technology | LiveScience

"Mom mom, why do you have a tramp stamp?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2013, 06:40 AM
 
Location: New Zealand and Australia
7,458 posts, read 11,128,692 times
Reputation: 7783
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post

"Mom mom, why do you have a tramp stamp?"
"Listen my sweetie, you may not have been born If I didn't have it. But thats a story for you when you get older. Much older".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2013, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Greater LA area
15,745 posts, read 11,757,357 times
Reputation: 30597
I like tattoos and have some. But tramp stamps - no way.

Do people still get them? I hope not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2013, 08:56 AM
 
Location: NoVa
18,434 posts, read 28,532,606 times
Reputation: 19578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Though there is no way to prove it, I'd bet you are wrong about that.

Most girls raised to be ladies are not going to wind up with tats anywhere, much less large visible tramp stamps. Just as women can dress like a **** to attract a certain type of attention, so too do women get permanent tats for the same reason. Try looking at strippers and porn stars these days and all you will see are tats, pierced tongues etc. I imagine street walkers also have them, but I wouldn't know.

These certainly are not Amish, Mormon or other religious or properly raised women.
Oh goodness. I thought I was just going to stay out of this thread. How could I think that?

I was raised to be a lady, and I am a lady. I am a Christian. I used to teach Sunday School class. I go to church every week.

I am respectful and respectable. I am not Amish or Mormon. (What's so great about Mormon, because you have more than one wife?)

My parents raised me properly and I took care of the both of them until their passing. I raised my children to be respectful.

No I do not have a lower back tattoos, but it is definitely a good placement for a tattoo. If there were not such a stigma, I would have one there. Instead, I have one on my ankle, upper back, and arm and shoulder.

I do not have tattoos to get any certain type of attention. I am in a wonderful relationship with a great man. He has no tattoos, btw, is very kind, caring, and friendly.

He has a wonderful family and I love them just as much as they love me! To me, his parents are like my own.

Maybe you need to stop being so judgmental and lay off looking at all the porn and strippers for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2013, 10:56 AM
 
862 posts, read 1,107,885 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
The tattoo the OP describes is absolutely degrading and disgusting - where did you meet a woman like that?
I have seen more than just one lady with overtly sexual tattoos in the gluteus medius/gluteus maximus/latissimus dorsi region of her body. Parties, gigs, clubs, pubs, outdoor festivals.

The women sporting these tattooes come out in droves sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2013, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,469 posts, read 22,713,045 times
Reputation: 45153
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
It was a trend in 2005. Now they're all regretting it 8 years later.
Not unlike all the former frat bros with their tribal armband tattoos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2013, 11:40 AM
 
748 posts, read 1,357,177 times
Reputation: 844
I don't have any tattoos, don't find them much attractive. Lately however I have been considering a small one of maybe a inch in size somewhere I can cover up of the SC palm tree and moon that's on the state flag. However i know I won't go though with it, too scared of needles and pain. lol but if i ever get brave enough that's the tattoo i'd get. As for where i'd get it, either my back or shoulder, since it's the places most easily covered up. As for why i'd want to get a tattoo...well I only want that one and simply because I eat, sleep live and breathe SC. I love that place, it's more home to me then where I grew up. Even got married in SC! Since my life revolves around that state, the state symbol tattoo seems fitting. Mine obviously has nothing to do with sex, it's just having a deep love of a place and wanting a tiny tattoo of it. I think people choose the back because like me, they think it's easy to cover up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2013, 11:54 AM
 
12,663 posts, read 12,085,149 times
Reputation: 17301
OMG! Someone has tattoos!

Can throw this subject in with:

- high heels
- yoga pants
- short skirts
- hoodies
- flip flops and sandals
- piercings
- implants

Did I miss anything (I am sure I did)?

Ok, I get it, how many more threads are going to be needed?; people have a self perceived notion of how a human should be, and one or more of the items above causes a serious personal discomfort in these people. These people then resort to name calling, degrading anecdotes, and anything else to justify their opinion.

I understand having a discussion, and the discussion involving opinions, but many times it just gets ridiculous in my opinion some of the things people state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top