U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2013, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,812,859 times
Reputation: 16226

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
JJ! I usually respect you and your posts. Now please look at my comment in context. If you're bipedal I suppose you could be accused of being a conformist; a 6'1", red-headed, green-eyed woman who flies, not so much.

My point was, where she lives she might just be a non-conformist when it comes to tattoos. Good for her. Hell, I'm a '60s combat veteran, never-used-drugs, former state narcotics agent married to an original '60s hippie. Hardly the stuff of conformity on either of our parts. We all have certain similarities but we also have our individualities. It's what makes our species fun.
Nope. You're still a conformist.

Bummer. I guess you're not as original as you thought. I may have some odd traits, but I still don't consider myself original or even all that interesting. At least I have the gall to admit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2013, 08:17 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,669,759 times
Reputation: 20198
Mod cut: Orphaned.

My response to the OP:

I'm 52 years old. I got my first ink on my upper thigh when I was 19, because some kid on the beach pointed me out to his mom and said "hey mommy look at the lady with the scar on her leg." I had a bright red (sunburnt) scar running 10 centimeters up the length of my thigh, during the late summer following a really bad car accident in which I had to have a steel rod implanted into my femur to hold it together. I figured if people were going to stare at my leg, I should give them something pretty to look at. So I got an ink of a butterfly hovering over a flower on the upper portion of my leg, near my groin (but not on it - totally visible while wearing a bathing suit - totally covered if wearing a pair of shorts).

And then, a few years later, I got another one on my opposite ankle. The image of a bleeding, burning heart - my own design - symbolizing passion and compassion.

The only thing I regret, is that the one on my ankle wasn't done properly and it looks crackled. Even so - it's an interesting "texture" look, so the regret isn't wholehearted.

I like both of my inks, I don't use the word "tats" because it sounds like - the anti-pretentious - like some geek trying to sound cool by calling a tattoo a tat. I refer to them as inks, or tattoos - when I can remember to spell it right.

I never thought to get one on my back, because it would have had no significance to me there. But if I had gotten one on my back, it probably would've been a full-blooming morning glory vine up my spine. I think that'd be pretty awesome. The lower back inks don't really "do" anything for me - I'm not disgusted by them, and I'm not impressed by them. Some of them look pretty, just like some inks on all parts of peoples' bodies look pretty.

I do take offense to the term "tramp stamp" however. Even though I don't have a back ink, I feel that assigning a derogatory term for a woman, to a personal expression of art - to be insulting to all women - and to all men who appreciate inks on women.

In -most- cases - inking is an artform and in some cases, a very highly valued and valueable artform. Some inks can run tens of thousands of dollars. A back ink usually runs into the hundreds and on occasion into the thousands. It's not something done without a LOT of thought.

I don't like vulgar inks - they're vulgar, and I don't like vulgar things. But the reason I don't like them, is because of the vulgarity - not because it's a tattoo.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-07-2013 at 08:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,812,859 times
Reputation: 16226
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Orphaned.

My response to the OP:

I'm 52 years old. I got my first ink on my upper thigh when I was 19, because some kid on the beach pointed me out to his mom and said "hey mommy look at the lady with the scar on her leg." I had a bright red (sunburnt) scar running 10 centimeters up the length of my thigh, during the late summer following a really bad car accident in which I had to have a steel rod implanted into my femur to hold it together. I figured if people were going to stare at my leg, I should give them something pretty to look at. So I got an ink of a butterfly hovering over a flower on the upper portion of my leg, near my groin (but not on it - totally visible while wearing a bathing suit - totally covered if wearing a pair of shorts).

And then, a few years later, I got another one on my opposite ankle. The image of a bleeding, burning heart - my own design - symbolizing passion and compassion.

The only thing I regret, is that the one on my ankle wasn't done properly and it looks crackled. Even so - it's an interesting "texture" look, so the regret isn't wholehearted.

I like both of my inks, I don't use the word "tats" because it sounds like - the anti-pretentious - like some geek trying to sound cool by calling a tattoo a tat. I refer to them as inks, or tattoos - when I can remember to spell it right.

I never thought to get one on my back, because it would have had no significance to me there. But if I had gotten one on my back, it probably would've been a full-blooming morning glory vine up my spine. I think that'd be pretty awesome. The lower back inks don't really "do" anything for me - I'm not disgusted by them, and I'm not impressed by them. Some of them look pretty, just like some inks on all parts of peoples' bodies look pretty.

I do take offense to the term "tramp stamp" however. Even though I don't have a back ink, I feel that assigning a derogatory term for a woman, to a personal expression of art - to be insulting to all women - and to all men who appreciate inks on women.

In -most- cases - inking is an artform and in some cases, a very highly valued and valueable artform. Some inks can run tens of thousands of dollars. A back ink usually runs into the hundreds and on occasion into the thousands. It's not something done without a LOT of thought.

I don't like vulgar inks - they're vulgar, and I don't like vulgar things. But the reason I don't like them, is because of the vulgarity - not because it's a tattoo.
This is an excellent point.

I have a genetic disorder and have IV marks up and down my arms. One of the reasons I decided to get tattoos was to cover up all the marks because I had SEVERAL people ask me if I did drugs. So, I figured if I was going to be covering up my arms anyway, I may as well have some pretty artwork to look at when they were uncovered.

People were going to judge me either way. I can either be refused a job (which, btw, has never happened) for my tattoos or for the interviewer thinking I'm an ex heroin addict.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-07-2013 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,812,859 times
Reputation: 16226
Mod cut: Orphaned.

I just don't think anything is really unique, not even myself. I'm not the first person to get a tattoo, the people who don't have tattoos aren't being 'rebels' or 'unique' either. Everything you think you're unique for, someone else has done before you. That's just the way it is.

It just cracks me up when people say 'I don't have tattoos so I'm unique!' No, you're not.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-07-2013 at 08:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 PM
 
3,279 posts, read 3,764,956 times
Reputation: 6149
Personally, I hate tattoos on a woman. Not that they give a rip what I think, & maybe I'm being legalistic, but frankly, to me, they're called "tramp stamps" for a reason. Even if they are doing it in honor of their deceased family member, well you can't argue with their sentiment, yet I can't help but thinking they could always wear a necklace or a ring on their finger etc.

The female body, WITHOUT a tattoo, is a wonder of beauty. Leave it alone. Putting graffiti on a woman's body is like spray-painting the Grand Canyon.

LRH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 09:25 PM
 
1,203 posts, read 1,015,464 times
Reputation: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I just don't think anything is really unique, not even myself. I'm not the first person to get a tattoo, the people who don't have tattoos aren't being 'rebels' or 'unique' either. Everything you think you're unique for, someone else has done before you. That's just the way it is.

It just cracks me up when people say 'I don't have tattoos so I'm unique!' No, you're not.
This response says volumes. It suggests this person hasn't taken a good look around...

In case you haven't noticed, most people do not have tattoos. And for good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 10:22 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 5,374,603 times
Reputation: 11918
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I just don't think anything is really unique, not even myself. I'm not the first person to get a tattoo, the people who don't have tattoos aren't being 'rebels' or 'unique' either. Everything you think you're unique for, someone else has done before you. That's just the way it is.

It just cracks me up when people say 'I don't have tattoos so I'm unique!' No, you're not.
Excellent point.

Tattoos on females are so common where I live that they no longer so much as raise an eyebrow.

I believe that there are two different types of folks getting tattoos, in the new millennium.

Those who would have got them regardless because that's how they wish to express themselves, and those who get them because their frenemy/Katy Perry did.

It's the latter group I worry about and they make up about 95% of the (female) tattooed population where I live.

There should be some sort of stand down period for young people. It is a permanent decision after all and young people aren't real good at imagining the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 10:24 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
29,970 posts, read 34,577,096 times
Reputation: 35977
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't think the perceived "sexiness" has much to do with the tatt. The lower back is an erogenous zone that is usually hidden.
Best one I ever saw said "Thank you for coming".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 02:17 AM
 
Location: Hawaii/Alabama
1,597 posts, read 2,973,962 times
Reputation: 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This is an excellent point.

I have a genetic disorder and have IV marks up and down my arms. One of the reasons I decided to get tattoos was to cover up all the marks because I had SEVERAL people ask me if I did drugs. So, I figured if I was going to be covering up my arms anyway, I may as well have some pretty artwork to look at when they were uncovered.

People were going to judge me either way. I can either be refused a job (which, btw, has never happened) for my tattoos or for the interviewer thinking I'm an ex heroin addict.
I have Lupus which has marked my body; I have scars from multiple surgeries, IV scars and other marks of my body's betrayal .

So, I have a lovely butterfly (one of the symbols of Lupus) tattoo on my lower back. My husband chose the tattoo and is always covered (as I cannot walk and am in a wheelchair). No one but my husband sees it unless I am in the hospital.

My tattoo is a symbol of my survival and I am most definitely NOT a tramp. I have been married for 26 years; I am a mother and a grandmother; I am college educated; I am an Army Vet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 05:34 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 30,365,118 times
Reputation: 28970
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It just cracks me up when people say 'I don't have tattoos so I'm unique!' No, you're not.
Sorry I didn't provide even a chuckle by not saying that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top