U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 11:11 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,711,773 times

Advertisements

I will second Laura Geller's Balance and Brighten. I started using Bare Minerals and was happy for a few years. Either my skin changed or their product changed but I have been very pleased with LG 's powder foundation. It looks natural but covers what you want to hide. Her bronzers and blushes are also very natural looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 11:50 AM

39,405 posts, read 14,456,552 times
I use Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion first, and top it off with Clinique's Even Better liquid foundation. I started using Even Better about 2 years ago, when Clinique was temporarily out of the color of foundation I'd been using for the past 25+ years. Even Better truly is even better! I love the way it evens out the color on my face and conceals imperfections. I'm 59, by the way.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:20 PM

21 posts, read 24,201 times
I am 31 with normal skin and I like Prescriptives virtual skin liquid foundation, looks completely natural with their "magic" finishing powder. I have been wearing this brand since I was 18. Most of their customers seem to be much older women that swear by it, if that helps. Ladies in their upper 40s and all the way up. As someone who wears foundation a couple of times per week... I would wear it daily if I had the type of job that required that look.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:17 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,378,200 times
All of these lovely brands cost an arm and a leg down here.

Internet shopping is my friend though. I love pancake type makeups the best (lazy, don't like getting my fingers dirty) and at the moment I have Elizabeth Arden which is beautiful.

No one even knows what BB cream is down here yet. I did a survey asking my wealthy friend and her 19 year old makeup junkie daughter - they've never heard of it.

Would you use BB cream and foundation together? Who uses a primer, if so what sort?

Makeup is sooo complex these days. My mother had a lipstick, a powder, and a mascara.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:44 PM

17 posts, read 33,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
All of these lovely brands cost an arm and a leg down here.

Internet shopping is my friend though. I love pancake type makeups the best (lazy, don't like getting my fingers dirty) and at the moment I have Elizabeth Arden which is beautiful.

No one even knows what BB cream is down here yet. I did a survey asking my wealthy friend and her 19 year old makeup junkie daughter - they've never heard of it.

Would you use BB cream and foundation together? Who uses a primer, if so what sort?

Makeup is sooo complex these days. My mother had a lipstick, a powder, and a mascara.
I love internet shopping, too, and I find a lot of good deals on beauty products on Amazon.com, which is where I purchased my first BB cream. The brand I went with is Holika Holika, and it is a Korean brand that is inexpensive yet is very nice quality. I'm told that BB creams originated in Korea and then appeared on the U.S. market much later, and that BB creams in the U.S are quite inferior to Korean ones. I don't know about all of that, but many beauty experts seem to agree. Anywho, I like the Holika BB cream and find that it really does have some lasting skin benefits in addition to covering like a light foundation. I never personally use the BB with a foundation as I find that together they are too much for my skin. I know people that do, and their faces always appear poreless and blemish-free, yet it is quite obvious to me they have a much heavier layer of coverage. Now, a primer with the BB might be a good idea if you need it to last throughout a long day or if you live in a warmer, humid climate since BB creams seem to have less staying power and often get slippery, which has been my experience this summer.

Now, speaking of foundation, I just discovered Avon's Ideal Flawless Invisible Coverage Liquid Foundation, and I think it is my all time favorite! The texture is silky smooth, there is the tiniest amount of light reflectors, it doesn't make my oily skin even oilier, and it holds up for a long day. To top it off, it runs for only $11 regular and they put it on sale for $8 at times!I think that's a great buy for such a lovely product that does exactly what I need. You might want to try it, and you can order online without even needing a rep.

On to primer: I have never used it, but I JUST picked up a primer that has come highly recommended by several friends as well as countless internet reviews. It is from Hard Candy, which is only sold at Wal-Mart, and it was under $10. I know it doesn't help that I can't tell you more than that as yet, but it might give you a starting point for which brands to start researching.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:53 PM

27,649 posts, read 17,711,469 times
I have Skin79 which is a Korean brand BB cream and I LOVE it..... only thing is it is too light and doesn't come in different shades, so I bought a darker one from Sephora and mix it. Stuff is awesome even in high humidity.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-02-2013, 12:09 AM

18,720 posts, read 4,713,547 times
I am 66 and have mature yet oily skin....I have been using Revlon's Colorstay foundation (normal/oily)
in Buff for quite a while, it's full coverage which is what I want.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:33 PM

13,135 posts, read 17,686,977 times
Why do you ladies feel the need to wear makeup all the time or everyday for that matter . I too had to give up makeup a couple of years ago because of allergies to all makeup no matter the brand . I can tell you right now my skin has never looked better until I stopped using makeup . all makeup does is clog your pores and cause acne even in your 40's . I m glad the makeup industry does not depend on me because they would go broke LOL ... I just wonder why all of you continue to wear makeup .yep my mother had a lipstick and a powder and a mascara and that was that .She had to quit using it too because she developed skin allergies and I guess I inherited the allergy ...LOL .

Old 10-16-2013, 06:22 PM

5 posts, read 5,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
For the longest time I have been using the Bare mineral powder makeup over a mineral base. I don't even use that so much. I am thinking of going back to a liquid makeup or something else. But I have no idea where to start. I want something light with minimal coverage. I have older skin.

What are you all using and what do you like?
Hi,
I'm an "older" woman too and I have been using Youngblood Mineral cosmetics for years and I love it.
I use a mineral creamy foundation and then put the powder on top and it does a great job.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:29 PM

2,967 posts, read 3,964,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I want something light with minimal coverage. I have older skin.
I use Organic Wear by Physicians Formula, found in drug stores or Wal-Mart. It is extremely light weight, moisturizing and does not look or feel too heavy/fake. I think they actually call it a "tinted moisturizer." I will never go back to using anything else, and have been using this about 5 years now.

If my skin is dry in the winter, I use a super small amount of organic coconut oil first as a base to make it even more moisturizing.

My only problem is finding it when I need to buy more. Most stores keep a small inventory of it and they are often out of the shade I need.

Quote:
Lightweight tinted moisturizer hydrates skin and evens out skin tone with sheer and natural coverage.
Infused with Organic Fruit Water to help nourish and restore skin’s moisture balance.
SPF 15 naturally protects skin from environmental damage for a healthy-looking complexion.
A 100% natural origin tinted moisturizer, formulated with 80% certified organic ingredients, including jojoba seed oil, sunflower seed oil, avocado oil, and shea butter to moisturize the skin.
Available in 4 shades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty