U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:45 AM

25,907 posts, read 35,027,121 times

Advertisements

Lighting is very important. One of my best pictures is under a white party tent; my skin, which is fair and ruddy, looked great. The bathroom at my office has the most goadawful glaring light over the mirror, and I look sick and exhausted. You can see every pore in my face.

The colors you wear are really important too. Wear a color that looks good on you, not white or black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 02:54 PM

8,861 posts, read 8,992,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The image you see in the mirror is not your true image. It's a reflective, or reversed image. For example, if you raise your right hand, the mirror image raises its left. This is the image we are accustomed to, but it is not what we look like to others., Others see us the way we look in photographs and videos.
However, faces aren't perfectly symmetrical. We're used to seeing the reversed image, and when we see a photo, it often looks "off". The slight imperfections we're used to seeing one way are now reversed and we're not used to it.
Think about it.
The mirror absorbs some photons, but reflects a great deal of light. Other than its image being reversed, it shows what is present, lest there would not exist the Newtonian telescope -- what value would there be in studying false images of the cosmos?

Furthermore, the reversed image which calls attention to crooked noses, etc. does not account for a person's eyes looking dead -- it's a contrast issue, a clarity issue, etc., as I know having done more research into the matter and having looked at previous photos of myself taken with 35mm lens and actual film rather than a pea-sized objective lens and cheap electronic CCD plate.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Lighting is very important. One of my best pictures is under a white party tent; my skin, which is fair and ruddy, looked great. The bathroom at my office has the most goadawful glaring light over the mirror, and I look sick and exhausted. You can see every pore in my face.

The colors you wear are really important too. Wear a color that looks good on you, not white or black.
Indeed; however, all these pics were done with light from the front, and little to no light from directly above or the sides.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:01 PM

Here's a good example of what I'm referring to. Ron Livingston, like me, has dark eyes and a light complexion. Now observe, in this first image, the intensity of the eyes:

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/R..._A_x0Ep9dx.jpg

Looks like a pic taken by a pro, using a 50mm lens with a pro quality camera. Now then observe this "snappy" pic possibly taken with a camera phone by an amateur:

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/pho...-1328-2000.jpg

See the difference? In both pics, the subject is illuminated from the front with a flash, and is displaying similar facial expressions. However, in the first photo he looks like a movie star, in the second he looks like he's sick and about to pass out, and rather than looking ready to play the star of a film, looks more suitable to be playing the film's alcoholic or junkie.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:18 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,628,957 times
I learned longtime ago my best post is looking slightly to the side and smiling. The cameraman will say, "look at the camera." But, I continue looking to the side. Imo, it makes an amazing difference.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:05 AM

72,932 posts, read 64,373,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I think the problem is that these cameras with tiny apertures are awful, which is why many people still use cameras with 35mm lenses. I took more pics today, this time in the bathroom, and pic after pic did not look like my reflection in the mirror -- my eyes in the pics looked lifeless for some reason, so either I'm some sort of supernatural being who reflects an image that is not my own (not likely), or quite simply, the camera is a piece of junk.
Good lighting is key! Photos taken with a flash will make you look washed out. If you can take a photo where there's good overhead light that lights up your face and eliminates shadows, it should work better. That's one reason why photos taken at a professional's studio always look better. People don't even recognize me as the same person with some of my photos, lol! But for women it's easier, we can use makeup.

I think your comparison with the movie star photos doesn't show much difference. He looks like a star in the first photo because it's a close-up, and his face is framed in a dramatic way. You might spring for a professional photographer, and ask questions, try to learn some of the tricks of the trade.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:20 AM

7,928 posts, read 7,279,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good lighting is key! Photos taken with a flash will make you look washed out. If you can take a photo where there's good overhead light that lights up your face and eliminates shadows, it should work better. That's one reason why photos taken at a professional's studio always look better. People don't even recognize me as the same person with some of my photos, lol! But for women it's easier, we can use makeup.

I think your comparison with the movie star photos doesn't show much difference. He looks like a star in the first photo because it's a close-up, and his face is framed in a dramatic way. You might spring for a professional photographer, and ask questions, try to learn some of the tricks of the trade.
I don't know, Ruth, I've never liked my professionally done photos, maybe it was because I never said cheese back when I sat for a professional photog.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:26 AM

10,589 posts, read 10,334,263 times
Have someone with an artistic flare take shots of you. Out of ten you will get one great one...also be a model - act....pose and go for it.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 AM

10,589 posts, read 10,334,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The image you see in the mirror is not your true image. It's a reflective, or reversed image. For example, if you raise your right hand, the mirror image raises its left. This is the image we are accustomed to, but it is not what we look like to others., Others see us the way we look in photographs and videos.
However, faces aren't perfectly symmetrical. We're used to seeing the reversed image, and when we see a photo, it often looks "off". The slight imperfections we're used to seeing one way are now reversed and we're not used to it.
Think about it.
Very astute. The human image can flex with mood and thought- There are some people with a hundred faces. If you are this type - You have to choose which one you wish to capture. Also natural light is best - defused through clouds or as they say in the movie business "The golden hour" - at an hour before the sun sets...light is everything....so is mood.

You are correct about the mirror - it is not who we are or what we look like...It's no so much about reversal of image but also the fact that it is you _thinking you are looking at you ...and in this thinking there is distortion and delusion...Some days I look in the mirror and think - You look very handsome today ...other days if it is first thing in the morning - and am half a sleep and have not composed my self - I look frightful.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
You are correct about the mirror - it is not who we are or what we look like...It's no so much about reversal of image but also the fact that it is you _thinking you are looking at you ...and in this thinking there is distortion and delusion...Some days I look in the mirror and think - You look very handsome today ...other days if it is first thing in the morning - and am half a sleep and have not composed my self - I look frightful.
What you're referring to seems to be more subjective. What I was referring to is more objective, as I was comparing one image source to another, with the subject being constant. Even if I was to hold the camera's screen to the mirror, so I was seeing a reflection of the image and therefore an image reversed to what I'd see looking directly into the mirror, the differences were glaring (no pun intended).

BTW, here's a very interesting article:

The camera DOES lie: Proof that a lens can be the difference between pretty and pretty ugly | Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or