U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:06 AM

8,829 posts, read 8,959,075 times

Advertisements

I took pics of myself today with a camera I borrowed from somebody and it apparently isn't a bad model; however, I look absolutely dreadful in the pictures, as I've seen in the past with other cameras in recent years. I even brought a mirror into the room to see how I looked in it, and I thought I looked just fine, but for some reason, i looked awful in the pics...as though I was about to keel over and pass out. I tried taking pics in a different area altogether -- pic after pic looked terrible, though I looked okay in the mirror. Tried yet a third place, same result: I looked sick and tired in the pics, but okay in the mirror.

I did a little Internet research and found there are others who have the same problem:

I always look bad in photos, why!? | Is It Normal? | http://isitnormal.com

Why do I look very ugly in Photos but OKish in the Mirror? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

why do I look pretty in mirrors (some) but ugly in photos - The Cathe Nation

However, I can't find a solution other than the boiler-plate "make sure you practice your smile" and so forth.

BTW, I'm a male, so it's not something I care to fix with make-up.

Does anybody have a useful solution for this, other than see a pro photographer? BTW, I didn't have this problem back when we were all using 35mm film...could it be something to do with CCD technology that makes some people look sick and tired in pics? It's just so very bizarre...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 08:08 AM

250 posts, read 421,643 times
For men, try working on the posture of your head, neck and upper body.

This acts to even out asymmetry (in the long term) and tone the muscles of facial expression in a certain way.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:42 AM

3,007 posts, read 4,869,171 times
There is the common, stick your neck out, and look up; like you're dignified. This gets rid of any double chin. And of course practice the opposite pose if you're used to looking in the mirror.

I'd also suggest acting, making a myriad of faces and lastly relax.

I've practiced a "photo smile" that's much different from my regular smile and laugh.

But aside from this here's another tip:

When I take pics of people with this "condition" I usually take candids.

Be active, and act like you're talking to someone, appear natural; like you're not having your picture taken.

I'd set the camera on a timer and just have it take picks every few seconds; look pensive, look concerned, tell yourself a joke, act (like you would in the mirror). Sure a lot of pics are going to be wonky and horrible, but you might be surprised.

Also it will get you to learn your camera better and yourself better too.

---

EDIT: you also said sick and tired, which could be some weird exposure and white balance settings; which in the wrong light can make you a bit too yellow or green, and can highlight things like dark circles under the eyes.

Last edited by harhar; 08-06-2013 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Adding info

Old 08-06-2013, 01:29 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,265,062 times
I'm not sure what the answer is for that, I nearly fell out of my chair laughing when I got the comment that I was photogenic, tagged on one of my photos. Ya really don't want to see the pics I choose not to post. I look downright awful in 3 out every five pictures taken of me. Only a mother could manage to crack a smile when looking at some of my pictures. It's best if I'm actually posed, example, I always, am saying cheese in my best snaps, otherwise, it looks like I'm all nose and cheeks.

I like the timer pic taking too, I get to sort through a bunch before settling on the ones I like. See what happens if you say cheese in your pics, may be something to that as to why some photographers used to ask subjects to say it. It often works better for me, just don't over do the

Old 08-06-2013, 01:32 PM

21,464 posts, read 22,692,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
See what happens if you say cheese in your pics, may be something to that as to why some photographers used to ask subjects to say it. It often works better for me, just don't over do the
My friend's husband never smiles in pictures. In pictures of the two of them, she's beaming and it looks like he's just baring his teeth. And his eyes aren't smiling, as Miss Tyra would say. I always wonder if he doesn't see how weird he looks.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:39 PM

10,712 posts, read 19,040,812 times
I think, in my case, I have a case of delusion, LOL - I think I look great but then see a pic. - I know I don't relax for them either so the smile is always weird - Candid ones looks okay but posing? forget it. Not sure how you take a picture of yourself that is good (unless you're very photogenic....some folks look great all the time)

Old 08-07-2013, 01:45 AM

8,829 posts, read 8,959,075 times
I think the problem is that these cameras with tiny apertures are awful, which is why many people still use cameras with 35mm lenses. I took more pics today, this time in the bathroom, and pic after pic did not look like my reflection in the mirror -- my eyes in the pics looked lifeless for some reason, so either I'm some sort of supernatural being who reflects an image that is not my own (not likely), or quite simply, the camera is a piece of junk.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:42 AM

15,087 posts, read 11,517,515 times
The image you see in the mirror is not your true image. It's a reflective, or reversed image. For example, if you raise your right hand, the mirror image raises its left. This is the image we are accustomed to, but it is not what we look like to others., Others see us the way we look in photographs and videos.
However, faces aren't perfectly symmetrical. We're used to seeing the reversed image, and when we see a photo, it often looks "off". The slight imperfections we're used to seeing one way are now reversed and we're not used to it.
Think about it.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:28 AM

4,241 posts, read 5,747,056 times
Smile like you mean it. A real smile is always photogenic.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:30 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,480,858 times
IMO taking your own photo is always a bad idea, just look at all those lovely in the mirror iphone shots folks post on facebook, terrible! Unless you have taken the time to set the camera up on a tripod and adjust the lighting you won't get the results you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or