U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 03:12 PM

862 posts, read 1,107,663 times

Advertisements

I would wear this Boston model Birkenstock. It's a clog type shoe.

Amazon.com: Birkenstock Boston Clog: Shoes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 03:17 PM

2,459 posts, read 4,671,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Love Birks. I wish they weren't so expensive. I need the kind with a heel strap, too, so I don't go losing them.

Femininity and masculinity both, I should remind you, are a total package and not dependent upon nor negated by one piece of clothing or accessory.

Not a damn thing. What's wrong is when people say that you "shouldn't" wear this or that. Screw 'em.
Some of us choose not to roll out into public looking like slobs or special needs. I'm not the fashion police, but I put a little effort and finding a comfortable shoe that doesn't make you look like you drool on yourself is not that hard to find. I don't understand why it's too much to ask. The thing is, those things arne't that comfortable. I guess a good group of lazy are good to help offset those obsessed with looks and brand names. I'll just sit here in the middle.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:33 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times
An absolute great shoe. I have the sandals with the cork bottoms, the only sandals worth wearing and the Mary Jane clogs. My husband has a pair of the sandals. They were an investment in a quality item. Someone told me how great they were and she was hard to please, more so than me. I feel sorry for people who need their shoes to look "cute" and tend to see them as the individuals that are checking out others based on details that don't matter a single bite. I agree, who cares what others think? You have to be pretty shallow to be critical of someone's footwear like it is the end of the world if they aren't making the latest fashion statement with their shoes. Following the herd? No, I don't think so. Be an individual!

Old 08-07-2013, 05:09 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,334,400 times
I don't need my shoes to look cute. I simply need them to be comfortable and lasting. It happens that I can also incorporate those two attributes with some style.

Birkies scream out latter-day, wanna-be hippie and present-day wussie.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:49 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Some of us choose not to roll out into public looking like slobs or special needs. I'm not the fashion police, but I put a little effort and finding a comfortable shoe that doesn't make you look like you drool on yourself is not that hard to find. I don't understand why it's too much to ask. The thing is, those things arne't that comfortable. I guess a good group of lazy are good to help offset those obsessed with looks and brand names. I'll just sit here in the middle.
Bwah hahahahahahahaha!

Are you kidding me?

Old 08-07-2013, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Love Birks. I wish they weren't so expensive. I need the kind with a heel strap, too, so I don't go losing them.

Femininity and masculinity both, I should remind you, are a total package and not dependent upon nor negated by one piece of clothing or accessory.

Not a damn thing. What's wrong is when people say that you "shouldn't" wear this or that. Screw 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Everyone has their opinion of the shoe. Like any real good quality pair of shoes, you have to break them in and have patience doing it.

I have seen and known quite a few professionals in different fields wearing Birkenstocks almost exclusively. It's not uncommon for them to have a sandal for every environment. Street, work and home.

I certainly wouldn't stamp these and other folks regardless of their profession as lazy, drooling, slobs because they choose to wear Birks. I originally thought of them as purely for health related reasons and not as much for fashion. Not ugly, not pretty but definitely worth the money by rep. They are so good for your back if you give them time to mold to your feet. Lots of people always tell me the first thing it did was help their back.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I don't need my shoes to look cute. I simply need them to be comfortable and lasting. It happens that I can also incorporate those two attributes with some style.

Birkies scream out latter-day, wanna-be hippie and present-day wussie.
On guys, yes to a degree if it's part of a forced look that screams out tie-die t-shirt booth guy at a Dead concert. I don't wear anything open toed unless I'm at the beach, home or at the gym.

Many women in the summer time keep their feet well pedicured. The ones who wear Birks make them look that more appealing.

Nothing hippy or wussy about a sexy woman's fresh pedicure in whatever sandal. Even Birks!

Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 PM

682 posts, read 656,232 times
My mother (R.I.P) used to wear them with socks. That was about 25/30 years ago when I was still in school. She'd wear them to the grocery store, run errands, etc. I refused to go anywhere with her when she was in one of her Birkenstock and socks moods.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:05 PM

182 posts, read 612,145 times
jaynaydee, same with my mom. She's 74, lives in New England, has a pair in every color and wears 'em with socks in the cooler months and without in the summer.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,279,875 times
Life is way too short to wear ugly clothes and shoes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty