U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:09 PM

5,124 posts, read 3,636,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Life is way too short to wear ugly clothes and shoes!
I don't wear ugly clothes, and I think Birks are quite ugly so I only wear them around the house.

Believe me, if you had the horrible aching feet that I had before buying my first pair of Birks, you wouldn't worry about their appearance. All I'm saying is: don't judge them by their ugly looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 10:57 PM

72,664 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
The bottom of my feet ached for years until my sister in law told me to try a pair of Birks. I can't thank her enough. I used to wear slippers in the house, and tried custom made orthodics in expensive sport shoes... a total waste of money!!
I own two pairs of Birks, one for my house, one for in and around our travel trailer through the summer. I want to get another pair for our cottage too.

While they are certainly clunky and quite ugly, my feet haven't felt this good in years. I just don't wear them out of the house (or while camping).
There are a couple of styles that don't look like clunky, ugly Birks. If you can get them in the narrow size, and get them a size smaller than what's recommended, they can look like more normal sandals. The advantage to them is that they can provide better support. I have really high arches, so the last few years I've needed orthotics. However, with Birks, you can have the podiatrist custom-build the orthotic into the footbed, so you don't have to wear clunky shoes with a big orthotic inside. It's a good compromise. Just choose the style and sizing carefully, and it can work.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:02 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
Mom shoes. Forget it. Why not just add some wooly socks and call it a day?

If it is not sexy, I am not wearing it.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:29 AM

3,043 posts, read 6,298,929 times
To me these shoes look like they are for people who have problems with their feet. In terms of style I don't care for them. I remember having a pair in the 90s when I was in high school and thought this trend almost like Uggs which I don't care for would be done.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:03 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,681,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
To me these shoes look like they are for people who have problems with their feet. In terms of style I don't care for them. I remember having a pair in the 90s when I was in high school and thought this trend almost like Uggs which I don't care for would be done.
The thing about shoes is they need to be comfortable. Uggs and Birkenstocks will always be worn since they are. I have no sympathy who women especially who wear shoes which mess up their feet and hurt. Summer or not, my oldest pair of ugglile boots are my outside shoes and I wear them shopping since me feet don't hurt. And the sandals I have are earthsomething brand, supposed to be comfortable, but I can't walk too long in them. I just wish I could afford birkenstocks. The pair I used to have literally got worn out before I had to abandon them. I even did socks with them when it wasn't too cold.

There is nothing wrong with ignoring fashion and having comfortable feet.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:29 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,563,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Birkenstocks are fugly and I only wear cute or sexy sandals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
They are hideous.
My style is classic, pretty, feminine footwear.
Interested in examples.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 AM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
I don't wear socks with sandals; that seems rather pointless to me. But to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
There is nothing wrong with ignoring fashion and having comfortable feet.
Just to be a devil's advocate here ... because I agree with your post ... But how is wearing Birkenstocks (or any other piece of apparel) "ignoring fashion"?

There are some styles of Birks that seem quite fashionable and look pretty much like any other sandal out there.

Of course, there are some styles I don't like. The clogs would make my feet look like overgrown pollywogs. But if I liked them, and they fit well, I'd wear 'em anyway.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:30 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,563,632 times
fast forward to a few years

Tab a Doctor: The Worst Shoes for Your Feet

Old 08-08-2013, 08:48 AM

6,415 posts, read 10,035,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Some of us choose not to roll out into public looking like slobs or special needs. I'm not the fashion police, but I put a little effort and finding a comfortable shoe that doesn't make you look like you drool on yourself is not that hard to find. I don't understand why it's too much to ask. The thing is, those things arne't that comfortable. I guess a good group of lazy are good to help offset those obsessed with looks and brand names. I'll just sit here in the middle.
Wow. Judgmental much?

Old 08-08-2013, 10:53 AM

261 posts, read 274,066 times
I find them extremely ugly and really don't think I could ever wear them. I also refuse to wear high heels and shoes that are harmful to my feet for the sake of fashion. There are plenty of shoes and boots that are comfortable and yet look good and modern. I'm not a girly girl so I'm not really going for the sexy look, more of a classically modern look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty