U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM

31,223 posts, read 57,353,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaCat View Post
Who names a color after the Holocaust?
Look up the word in the dictionary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 11:02 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,621,396 times
My daughter wears Birkenstocks and no one has feet cuter than she does. They didn't come from me or anyone on my side, so, I must credit her dad's family

Old 08-09-2013, 11:06 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,735,699 times
These are cute and very comfy. They look nice with a good pedicure. Not as cute as what I used to wear before my foot problems, but hey, I'll take them.

Amazon.com: Alegria Women's Molly Sandal: Shoes

Old 08-09-2013, 11:29 AM

26,879 posts, read 28,182,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
My daughter wears Birkenstocks and no one has feet cuter than she does. They didn't come from me or anyone on my side, so, I must credit her dad's family
Sadly for me, my feet are only semi-cute. I have stubby toes. I do wear pointy shoes sometimes, but my big toe is about 1/2 inch bigger than the rest. I need to worry only about a wide enough shoe at the broadest point. The rest of my toes don't approach the top of the toe box.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:44 PM

261 posts, read 274,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Look up the word in the dictionary.
hol·o·caust

/ˈhäləˌkôst/
Noun
  • Destruction or slaughter on a mass scale, esp. caused by fire or nuclear war: "a nuclear holocaust".
  • The mass murder of Jews under the German Nazi regime during the period 1941–45.

I repeat, who names a color after this?

Old 08-09-2013, 01:13 PM

10,167 posts, read 18,145,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaCat View Post
hol·o·caust

/ˈhäləˌkôst/
Noun
  • Destruction or slaughter on a mass scale, esp. caused by fire or nuclear war: "a nuclear holocaust".
  • The mass murder of Jews under the German Nazi regime during the period 1941–45.

I repeat, who names a color after this?
Birkenstock is a German company...

Old 08-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 10 days ago)

14,426 posts, read 16,702,531 times
When I was a teen, I wore sandles and boots but mostly went barefoot. I could walk to the store in a sanfernando valley summer day and back barefoot. Shoes were usually uncomfortable. I have very long toes and shoes hitting my little to with a strap hurt then and worse now. I did boots if I could.

I've had to be very very selective on shoes. And I have a bonespur which is settled on the side of one foot. And a very high arch. I've gotten where I wear only boots. If I wear shoes, then its only as long as I must. I hadn't thought of Birkenstocks but that would be a reasonable shoe for me.

But beware getting older. I'm a year away from being an official 'senior citizen' and have noticed how my feet are far less tolerant of problems with shoes. Tight straps hurt too much. There needs to be sufficent padding or my feet hurt. They can't be too tight. I wear socks in the house because my feet are sensitive to things like uneven bits of wood floor. A long time ago I gave away all the heels. I never could balance on them so there were only a few. Heels have to be flat and no more than a couple of inches.

What I notice is my toes are much more sensitive to pressure and the joints will hurt easily. And I'll get numbness if there is not enough padding. Going around in socks seems to help but that isn't sufficent in the winter when they get cold and will get spasms. All in all, I'm very glad I did take care of my feet and didn't ever 'put up' with problems or let 'fashion' matter.

Even if some shoe has always been okay, if it starts not feeling so good, don't just grin and bear it. Your body is sending out an SOS and you need to listen.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,662,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglion View Post
Naots are similar but have a much narrower and less clunky appearance. Also, there is a division of Birkenstocks called Birki's that are also less clunky but have the same cork footbed and fabulously fun patterns, which make them a little more feminine.
I've been wearing Naots for several years. My first two pairs were very similar to Birkenstocks. The third pair is a 1.5" heel, more feminine looking, tapered at the arch. The third pair is very pretty, with a black suede top that has little diamond-shaped cutouts along the edges.

Though the last two are more attractive, I much much prefer the uglier ones. If I want to wear "girlie" shoes I'll wear normal high heels. If I want to just have something to slip my feet into so I can walk around in public without being barefoot, I'll wear the ugly-but-comfy shoes.

Most of the time though, I wear a pair of sneakers with socks.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:46 PM

862 posts, read 1,108,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
These two shoes make all Birkenstocks look beautiful IMO.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:53 PM

4,878 posts, read 4,570,856 times
Look familar? Interesting that hipsters are searching and looking to buy them today.

Earthshoes: Old Memories
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty