Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:50 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't wear socks with sandals; that seems rather pointless to me. But to each their own.

Just to be a devil's advocate here ... because I agree with your post ... But how is wearing Birkenstocks (or any other piece of apparel) "ignoring fashion"?

There are some styles of Birks that seem quite fashionable and look pretty much like any other sandal out there.

Of course, there are some styles I don't like. The clogs would make my feet look like overgrown pollywogs. But if I liked them, and they fit well, I'd wear 'em anyway.
I generally just go by what feels comfortable. And I can't wear heals so they have to be flats. If a shoe that's really cute is going to make you 'feel cool' but your feet hurt so much it kind of cancels out the equation. I broke my little toe a few years ago and anything with straps that hit it hurt so all those skinny strapped sandles are out.

I'm thinking more in terms of those who only wear the latest and no matter how much they hurt its worth in with ignoring fashion. I'll gladly wear 'ugly shoes' if my feet feel good. I figure if you feel comfortable then the image you project is you and if some think its a fashion foupa then its their problem. One should be them self and not try to be what is 'expected'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 01:54 PM

37 posts, read 61,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Life is way too short to wear ugly clothes and shoes!

I disagree, dear-- for me, life is too short to be uncomfortable.

You take your shortened tendons, bunions and tired feet over there please. I'll just keep walking

Old 08-08-2013, 03:04 PM

11 posts, read 32,294 times
Mostly i like to wear boots, But I also like to wear sandals with high heels.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Not that hard to find comfy footwear that looks decent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I put a little effort and finding a comfortable shoe that doesn't make you look like you drool on yourself is not that hard to find. I don't understand why it's too much to ask..
Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaCat View Post
There are plenty of shoes and boots that are comfortable and yet look good and modern.
I hope you all continue to be blessed with feet that are so "easy" to find shoes for. Perhaps a little less judgment might be in order. After all, in 20 years, it could be you who can't find shoes to fit over your bunions or hammertoes.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:37 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
[quote=EvilCookie;30854461]awful, unless you're hiking in Tibet or have severe orthotic problems.
Not that hard to find comfy footwear that looks decent.[/quote]

Perhaps for you. In the 50s, I wore high heeled/pointy toed shoes every day to work. I started wearing high heels when I was 14 (for dress); to work when I was in my late teens and beyond. I stopped wearing super high heels (except on stage if called for), about 11 years ago. I do not have bunions, corns, hammer-toes or calluses. Nothing misshapen about my feet. I keep my toenails clipped 'n clean and polished with a very pale pink. I'm not looking to appeal to anyone's sensibilities - male or female - except my own. And yes, I do have a pair of Birkie knock-offs. And yes, I do sometimes wear them - gasp! - outside!

I am here to say that it is that hard to find comfy footwear for my feet. YMMV I find myself wearing shoes that only ladies in their 70s would wear. WTH, I'm in my 70s so why not?

If you're lucky, one day you'll find yourself in your 70s and cute and sexy won't matter much if you're limping.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:19 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I hope you all continue to be blessed with feet that are so "easy" to find shoes for. Perhaps a little less judgment might be in order. After all, in 20 years, it could be you who can't find shoes to fit over your bunions or hammertoes.

Yep. I wore "fashionable" shoes through my 30s and by then my feet hurt so bad! Hammertoes, corns, bunions, all of it. My husband become tired of me complaining about them and asking him to rub them and suggested Birkenstocks. While I can't wear them everywhere and agree I am not a fashion plate, my feet thank me for it everyday! Lately I've had additional foot problems due to an injury and Birkies are one of the only comfortable shoes.

I try to keep my feet looking nice and toes painted, and I don't really care about the critical people anymore--I hope they can wear stylish shoes forever so they won't be miserable worried about what others are saying.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBabbleL View Post
I disagree, dear-- for me, life is too short to be uncomfortable.

You take your shortened tendons, bunions and tired feet over there please. I'll just keep walking
I take very good care of my feet and they are beautiful. No corns. No bunions. No issues with my tendons.

One does not need to wear ugly Birkenstocks to have nice feet. In the summer I wear a lot of cute flat sandals and in the winter I wear sandals, ballet flats, high heels and boots. To keep my feet looking great I buy a half size up for higher heel styles.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I take very good care of my feet and they are beautiful. No corns. No bunions. No issues with my tendons.

One does not need to wear ugly Birkenstocks to have nice feet. In the summer I wear a lot of cute flat sandals and in the winter I wear sandals, ballet flats, high heels and boots. To keep my feet looking great I buy a half size up for higher heel styles.
Good for you. And no, you don't have to wear Birks to have good feet. But you might have to wear them (or other less fashionable shoes) eventually as a result of wearing high heels or pointy toes over the course of many years. Or not. Some people are blessed with good feet. Count your lucky stars.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Amazon.com: Dansko Women's Sophie Sandal: Shoes

Much better looking than Birkenstocks....
Amazon.com: Adua - Anthracite Antique Leather: Shoes

Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
My mother (R.I.P) used to wear them with socks. That was about 25/30 years ago when I was still in school. She'd wear them to the grocery store, run errands, etc. I refused to go anywhere with her when she was in one of her Birkenstock and socks moods.
Women wearing Birkenstocks and socks are very sexy, not because the look itself is alluring but because women who wear Birkenstocks and socks are generally smart and uninhibited. And smart and uninhibited is VERY sexy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty