U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:11 PM

10,768 posts, read 25,662,423 times

Advertisements

I agree that you do not want to wear suits all the time, unless it is the norm, and you need various levels of suits, from formal to semi-casual, so that you can match to the occasion. For an initial client meeting, a suit would be fine, but subsequent meetings may not require that, especially if it is not the norm for your company. However, what you can do is upgrade the quality and cut of your shirt, substituting royal oxford cloth for oxford, for example, such that you are dressing in the acceptable norm for your role, yet you present a more fashionable and polished appearance to the world at large.

I tend to dress a bit more formally, but it's because I was born wearing a jacket and tie (LOL...close to it) and had to dress for dinner, including evening attire for special dinners, regularly. I have a large collection of ties in various fabrics, colors, and degrees of formality, and I once worked for a firm that had an owner/manager who lived in shorts and Topsiders, save for winter when he wore long pants and Topsiders or cowboy boots. He was a very straightforward personality and did not feel the need to impress, since he had a reputation and strong client base, yet he did not want a formal office. He had a rule whereby he would cut the tie off someone's neck, after giving them 30 seconds to remove it and keep it off, because he did not need to be impressed, and could not stand pretense. I wore ties everyday to the office, and when someone asked him at one of our parties why he didn't enforce his rule on me, he said that it was obvious that I wore my collection of ties to express my own taste, and as such, he interpreted that as a form of artistic expression, which he appreciated.

Dress for yourself, not to impress, and it's better to have higher quality tailored pieces that are within the expectations of your company's norm than it is to buy mid-range suits to wear all the time. Buy some good suits for initial client meetings, and keep a quality blazer on hand to wear over the rest of your wardrobe, but you don't need to adopt the power suit look, especially in IT.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 08:54 PM

273 posts, read 398,166 times
I'm in love with Linda Richards <grin>. Dress me, Linda!

Old 08-18-2013, 09:09 PM

273 posts, read 398,166 times
slowly building the wardrobe up. picked up a navy blue blazer and a few ties today. looking at a pair of shell cordovan captoe shoes now. thanks @bmwguydc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty