U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 09:47 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,611,706 times

Advertisements

At one time, many years ago, I thought wearing baseball caps backward was a high school fad. Wasn't long until I learned the fellows took it with them to college, whereupon a lifetime fashion was born. It is worn from birth to death, so, we may as well get used to it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 09:57 AM

5,016 posts, read 4,830,712 times
But if one doesn't dress like a 19 yr old, how is one to attract a 19 yr old!

That dude at the pub sounds hillarious. You know what else I find funny...mustaches. It's a very entertaining and amusing way to trim facial hair.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:48 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,500,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
But if one doesn't dress like a 19 yr old, how is one to attract a 19 yr old!

That dude at the pub sounds hillarious. You know what else I find funny...mustaches. It's a very entertaining and amusing way to trim facial hair.
I don't get mustaches. No man under the age of 50 should have one! Definitely and old man fad they picked up pre-1985.

I have no issue with backward baseball caps. I'm 45 and in great shape (no fat, work out and cardio regularly) so I wear mainly Diesel or Levis jeans and t-shirts.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:58 AM

72,676 posts, read 64,172,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I don't get mustaches. No man under the age of 50 should have one! Definitely and old man fad they picked up pre-1985.

I have no issue with backward baseball caps. I'm 45 and in great shape (no fat, work out and cardio regularly) so I wear mainly Diesel or Levis jeans and t-shirts.
Jeans and t-shirts are ok. What I object to in the over-40 set is "hipster" clothes normally worn by 20-somethings, and skateboard outfits. There was a guy in our local library who was clearly 50-ish, with grey hair, wearing skateboard clothes, and actually carrying his skateboard with him! Another 40-something guy in a black skateboard outfit shopping in the grocery store tried to pick up a woman in a business suit. It didn't work out, needless to say. What are these guys thinking??!

I'm so glad someone started a thread on this topic! Thanks to Dizzy!

Old 08-12-2013, 12:17 PM

11,686 posts, read 13,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Jeans and t-shirts are ok. What I object to in the over-40 set is "hipster" clothes normally worn by 20-somethings, and skateboard outfits. There was a guy in our local library who was clearly 50-ish, with grey hair, wearing skateboard clothes, and actually carrying his skateboard with him! Another 40-something guy in a black skateboard outfit shopping in the grocery store tried to pick up a woman in a business suit. It didn't work out, needless to say. What are these guys thinking??!

I'm so glad someone started a thread on this topic! Thanks to Dizzy!
<sigh> No wonder women still don't understand men! It's not a what thing, it's a where thing.

We men don't think in the same place that women do.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:26 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,812,845 times
I didn't know Ed Hardy shirts either! I had to google; I actually don't see many of them.
Jeans and t-shirts are great too; but no skinny jeans on dudes please, esp if you are over 30! I always thought those were hipster type of clothes too.
I never minded backwards hats, but I haven't seen anyone wear their hat like this in ages. I used to see it a lot back in the last 90's, early 00's.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:25 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,794,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

I will follow a man with a handlebar moustache around like a puppy. Combine that with slacks and suspenders and I'm sold...I guess I'm a hipster at heart

Old 08-12-2013, 03:10 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,434,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Now by this I dont mean a man keeping himself nice and fashionable, I mean the ones who want to be Peter Pan's forever... theres one down our pub , he s overweight but around fifty, and he cant wait for the sun to shine to get out his three quarter length gonky looking wide shorts.. his white socks with a bright brand sticker and matching white trainers.. that look as if their just out the box for the occassion.. he prances up and down the pub going to the loo about five time to make sure the females in the joint get a full view of his creation... Not to mention his cutaway t shirt. emblazzoned with some daft slogan about being IT or SEXY.... then as someone wafts in the door he feels a draught even in high temperatures... but just enough so that he can swirl his imitation cashmere gold jumper round his back tying it in a slack knot at the front..... my drink now goes everywhere and I have to leave Oh near forgot, his bright yellow baseball cap is lying on the bar.... pray someone drops a drink on it before he leaves..
I don't see any problem with old guys dressing young. The bigger problem I see is guys who dress out of date. Example: shorts with knee high white socks. I mean come on. The 1970s just called. They want their fashion back.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:34 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,921,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Give it a try; you'll probably find its MUCH more comfortable that way.

Or perhaps its just my giant fat head. The brim always presses against my forehead and its much more comfortable when worn backward.
The purpose of a baseball cap is to shade the eyes from the sun during sports activities. Wearing one backwards defeats that purpose. If you require a hat to keep your bald head from becoming sunburned there are more attractive and age-appropriate choices. And I would hope that no matter what kind of hat you wear, you remove it when you go indoors. Especially in places like restaurants. What you do in your own home is your own business, but when you go out in public people make assumptions about you based on your dress or lack thereof. Most women make the assumption that a grown man in a backwards ball cap is a Peter Pan type. We don't suppose for a minute that you are a rich musician or sports star unless you are wearing that hat in a Bentley.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:35 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
No one under the age of 70 wears those, at least around here.
I see them sometimes. Hard look to pull off if you are younger, but it can totally work.

Oh did I forget? When I see someone over 25 wearing this, I just try not to laugh:

http://tokyofashion.com/wp-content/u...s-Harajuku.jpg

This look is just way too popular. I see 30-40 year olds. Occasionally older people wearing this almost daily somewhere. Automatic rejection if you are hitting on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty