Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 04:58 AM

342 posts, read 590,952 times

Advertisements

I dont have a fur coat and i dont want one, the animals need the fur more then i do.
what do you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 05:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee22 View Post
I dont have a fur coat and i dont want one, the animals need the fur more then i do.
what do you say?
Owning a fur coat in Texas is absurd, it rarely gets cold enough to need that kind of warmth. And we have the technology to make clothing that is just as warm without having to slaughter animals for their fur.

I am not a vegetarian but I am also not a fan of fur coats.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:50 AM

522 posts, read 1,405,659 times
Eack, not a fur coat person either. Unless you live in a place that's extremely cold (I'm talking body parts freezing and falling off kinda cold) I really don't get wearing fur.

And ditto on what BigDGeek said.
I'm from Houston and there's actually a fur coat store just across the street from the Galleria mall. It's ridiculous. Who the hell wears a fur coat in Texas? It doesn't even get cold enough (rarely) to wear a wool coat.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:14 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
I'd like one: full length white sheared mink.

Does it even matter where I live since I'm not on the same page as you guys?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:33 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
I LOVE fur. I have several including a Givenchy full length blackglama mink my mother gave me. I also have several vintage exotic furs that are no longer legal (but were when they were made in the 30s/40s) that include: Leopard, Jaguar, Monkey, and Seal to name a few.

I want a white mink too. Trapeze style w/ bell cuffs.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:11 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I'm with the no fur group.

I'm not a vegetarian, but that doesn't mean I support the needless slaughter of animals. There is no utilitarian reason to wear a fur coat: the technology exists to make a coat as warm as a fur, or warmer, without killing the animal. Hence, the purpose of wearing a fur coat is to enjoy the luxury or look of the fur. I do not believe that is a consideration that justifies the suffering it imposes on the animals that are killed to make the coat.

Because there is no comparable subsitute for leather I do not believe the same arguments apply to the use of leather for shoes and belts, particularly because most of the hides that shoes and belts are made from come from animals that are raised and killed for their meat, so that avoiding leather shoes would not save the life of a single animal.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:10 AM

522 posts, read 1,405,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'm with the no fur group.

I'm not a vegetarian, but that doesn't mean I support the needless slaughter of animals. There is no utilitarian reason to wear a fur coat: the technology exists to make a coat as warm as a fur, or warmer, without killing the animal. Hence, the purpose of wearing a fur coat is to enjoy the luxury or look of the fur. I do not believe that is a consideration that justifies the suffering it imposes on the animals that are killed to make the coat.

Because there is no comparable subsitute for leather I do not believe the same arguments apply to the use of leather for shoes and belts, particularly because most of the hides that shoes and belts are made from come from animals that are raised and killed for their meat, so that avoiding leather shoes would not save the life of a single animal.

I agree with the leather thing. It's the only animal skin I'm willing to wear because the rest of it gets used too.

As for the fur thing again. Ethical reasons aside, I honestly think it's disgusting in general to walk around wrapped in animal carcass.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:13 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I'm not a fan of fur, either. The only women I see wearing fur are the poorer ones trying to look "classy". I live in a very wealthy area, and you just don't see the wealthy wearing fur.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:17 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I'm not a fan of fur, either. The only women I see wearing fur are the poorer ones trying to look "classy". I live in a very wealthy area, and you just don't see the wealthy wearing fur.
Maybe you're just not going to the same events.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:43 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Fur used to be one of the best ways to keep warm (still is, I suppose..), when one's options were limited to wool, cotton, or fur. With the development of polarfleece, nylon, faux fur, and other man-made materials that can make outerwear equally as warm/wind-proof as real fur, I don't see a big need to keep up with fur as a material for outerwear. I don't have issue with people that hunt for food and use the fur of those animals as material for clothing, but raising and killing animals JUST to kill them for fur is outdated and unneccesary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty