Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 08:03 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times

Advertisements

Good grief. I still use my first razor, the Lady Gillette, from when I was about 14. Um...now, so does DH...something about the "long handle" that I don't get. Anyway, I couldn't find the cheap DE blades at Wal-Mart, so I went into a drug store, where a pack of 10 was $6.99! The Atra generics (we have old handles for those, too) were up to $7.99 for one cartridge of 4 blades at Wal-Mart, when they'd previously been about $2.99 for 20 blades. What in the world?? I know blades for modern handles have been ridiculously expensive for some time, but these formerly el-cheapo blades seem to have increased in price, too, and way beyond what they're worth. What in the world?

As it turns out, I found the Wilkinson blades at a different Wal-Mart for $1.50/10, and picked up a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 11:28 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Yeah. It's a shame. We already covered this:
Why are men's razor blades so Expensive?

Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,054 times
Check out Amazon or Ebay for blades.

I use the Mach3 and those buggers are ridiculous!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:44 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Oil (plastic raw material) and steel are both increasing in price.

A lot of HBA products are increasing in price and decreasing in product quantity per unit.

Razors are also one of the most popular items to shoplift which can increase the price in stores to make up for it.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:14 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Not sure where you are, but if you have a good barber/shave shop in your town you'll have better luck than at wal-mart. I know my uncle gave up on DE shaving because of how expensive/difficult it was getting to find blades, now he simply can't go back because of some vision issues.

I typically buy in bulk - I like a good sharp blade so I'll pick up Feather, Polsilver, Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, etc.

I don't mind Wilkinsons Swords, but simply hate a lot of the drug store brands

Here is my last purchase - 50 feather blades - usually can find them shipped for around $20 which is a much better deal than buying five 10 packs at $7 a pack for low quality blades
Amazon.com: Feather Hi-Stainless Platimum Double Edge Razor Blades 50 Ct: Health & Personal Care

These are super sharp, but do a great job ... I typically get 3 shaves per blade and shave about 3x per week so the 50 pack is almost a year supply for me

The Polsilvers I can get more quality shaves per blade

Here are some other online retailers
Double Edge Safety Razor Blades | West Coast Shaving

Double Edge Razor Blades | Razor Blades and More Co.

Many others as well ... shop around

The old Lady Gillettes are very popular (the ones with the blue handle and star burst near the head) - even with men for giving a real quality shave .... you can find a ton of them on e-bay in good conditions typically going between $30-$50

Here is the razor I use ... long handle and heavy weight to it

Amazon.com: Parker 99R - Long Handle SUPER HEAVYWEIGHT Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor & 5 Shark Super Chrome Blades: Health & Personal Care

Old 08-11-2013, 01:59 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times
I use a Merker blade and 7 o' clock blades. Best purchase ever. I use..Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream and poraso pre shave.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:52 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
I refuse to spend such insane amounts of money on something that is so clearly a ripoff. I only buy disposables now.

But you might want to check these guys out. Reviews are good.
Review: My experience with Dollar Shave Club | Reviews | Geek.com

Old 08-11-2013, 08:11 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I agree that the price is ridiculous, and aside from the actual cost of the materials....supply and demand.

These companies know that people want their nice smooth legs and they are going to have to buy razors from someone, unless they are waxing.

They can charge anything they want for their product. As long as there are consumers willing to spend the money for their product, they will keep on doing it.

I complain every time I buy razors but I keep on doing it. That is what they are counting on. They know you are gonna buy it!

Old 08-12-2013, 06:55 AM

108 posts, read 285,553 times
HERE IS A GREAT ALTERNATIVE for both men & women THAT WILL Get You As CLOSE AS A BLADE.

It is extremely inexpensive compared to buying razors and replacement razor blades.

Here is what I suggest:
-you should purchase-

2 (two) PANASONIC ES-3831K single head Foil AA battery shavers
2 (two sets) VIVITAR VIV-BC-162 Rechargeable battery charger that comes with two rechargeable AA batteries
1 (one) ANDIS T-Outliner Trimmer

Men will find that they can get their face as Close As Possible With the Best Blade Razor by simply using this very inexpensive PANASONIC ES-3831k single foil head AA battery powered Shaver.
My hubby does use this exact model.
Panasonic did once make a es-sa40k rechargeable That WAS GREAT but it was discontinued in North America in around 2011. He used that model and its near exact but different model number earlier variant for nearly fifteen years.
I also adopted that model and purchased one for my legs & underarms. The great thing about that es-sa40k was it had an excellent rake style pop up trimmer that was easy to shape and clip down , and to rake accross and catch any missed stray hairs. THE es-sa40k is GONE, (it was typically in the $30 to $40 range WHEN IT WAS ON THE MARKET HERE IN USA from about '98 to 2011)
THE el cheapo $18 PANASONIC ES-3831K AA battery travel shaver IS EVERY BIT AS GOOD, except that its trimmer attachment is not very useful. The ES-3831K SHAVES EXTREMELY CLOSE and just like the discontinued es-sa40k IT CAN BE USED WET or DRY.

Buy two of them and then but two sets of rechargeable batts & chargers.
The ANDIS T-Outliner is needed mainly for your husband, because the T-Outliner WILL REMOVE THE stray hairs on his neck under the chin that grow sideways or fold down and aren't caught by the foil screen of the PANASONIC.
The T-outliner is quick to get those.
The T-outliner is also great for MOWING DOWN growth that is too long to shave with the Panasonic, as Foil Shavers will tug and pull on hair/stubble over 1/10 of an inch. It will hurt a little bit with the pulling, so you'll want your leg hair and pits to be trimmed down before using the FOIL SHAVER.
T-outliner is great for contouring and shaping in certain areas.
T-outliner is great for your husband to Clip Down His Head to go Mr Clean Bald with the Foil Shaver after.
The T-outliner can also be used to keep his haircut lines more sharp between salon visits, as it is fast and great to rid the gorilla growth on the neck at the hairline, etc.

PANASONIC ES-3831K (approx $20 and under at most stores everywhere & amazon)
Amazon.com: Panasonic ES3831K Single Blade Travel Shaver, Black: Health & Personal Care

Cheap remington electric razors store.: Panasonic ES3831K Single Blade Travel Shaver, Black

ANDIS T-Outliner (about $45 on amazon & $65 at Sallys)
Amazon.com: Andis Professional T-Outliner Personal Trimmer (04710): Health & Personal Care

Andis - Andis T-Outliner Trimmer

Vivitar Rechargeable battery charger and two rechargeable AA batts (about $6 on amazon )
Amazon.com: Vivitar Viv-Bc-162 Compact Travel Charger - Viv-Bc-162: Camera & Photo

My husband has tried all sorts of very expensive multiple headed electric razors but says that the single headed FOIL Panasonic shavers are the best he has ever used. Now, he is quick to point out that the Single Headed FOIL PANASONIC model(s) WON'T BE AS FAST AS MULTIPLE HEADS IN COVERING THE ENTIRE FACE, etc....
The single head will take longer as you need to move up and back and around concentrating on a one to one and a half inch section at a time before moving along, according to him. He says that the narrow contours of the single head design allow it to better SHAVE his heavy beard as he stretches his skin taut. You can also position and angle it better than multiple headed Shavers.
This not only applies to a man's face but to our underarms too. These cheap AA batt PANASONIC ES-3831K travel shavers are great. Get at least two and get rechargeable AA batts and chargers. That way you always have one ready to go. HAVE at least two because if one gets dropped or falls and the foil head gets damaged, then you won't have to resort to something else like a blade or other shaver to start your day.
DON'T BUY REPLACEMENT SCREENS & CUTTERS, just buy new shavers yearly or whenever.
Very Important: Be certain to brush out the cutters after each use for best results.
To shave dry, make certain to wash your face and body first so that your squeaky clean and your hairs will stand up.
To shave wet, a mostly Ivory bar soap lathering with a touch of Shampoo works best after the Shower has become warm to steamy. The slight thickness of the Ivory Bar Soap lather is more beneficial in gathering the hairs/stubble than Shaving Foam or simply using Shampoo in my opinion when using these Panasonic shavers.
They shave very very close. For me, there is no difference in shave from using a blade, other than no nicks/cuts/razor burn. Razor burn is minimal with the Panasonic, if you can even call it burn in the same sense as using a blade. You'll be surprised as it shaves baby smooth.
It is no faster than blade shaving, but way more fun as you need not seriously concentrate to avoid blading yourself.
Your husband will luv it too once his face adjusts to the Foil shaver. (switching from blade to foil shaver likely takes 2 to 3 weeks of skin/face adjustment according to what typically is printed in shaver owner manuals from all brands/types)

Going RECHARGEABLE shaver /electric Shaver method is far more cost effective than buying blades/razors.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I use the Gillette disposables at Costco, still about $30 for 52 of them, but I get about 5 shaves out of each one, and don't usually bother on the weekends, so they may last a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty