Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:58 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Funny thing is when we've vacationed, the last few times in the Dominican Republic more people had shorts that were above the new. A lot of Europeans vacation at the resort we were at and that must be the style over there, as well as Speedo's for swimwear. 90% of my shorts and swim trunks end just past the knee , like cargo short length. I've got maybe two pair of shorts that I will hike or work around the yard in that are just above the knee. To me mid thigh or shorter just look too feminine on a guy. I know that was the style back in the late 70's , early 80's but so was the mullet ... and I hope that isn't going to come back.
It only does because you're used to only seeing it on women. 'Feminine' by association. In the 80s no one would have thought they looked 'feminine.' It's like long hair. Nothing more innately feminine about long hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 03:04 PM

957 posts, read 1,132,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOlBuzzad View Post
Join the revolution, friend. The Dark Ages of Men's Fashion, which started about 1989 and have continued since then, are finally coming to an end, and with it, the repression of masculinity and of male sexuality.
I hope you're wrong
I cant' stand the 80s when men walk the street bare naked, in spandex, shortest shorts possible, singlets and stuff
that was ridicolous beyond any reasonable doubt

masculinty means in the first place to be smart, self-coinfident, phisically and mentally strong etc
not "sexy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Definitely, there needs to be more appreciation of the male form, not just the torso, but the whole body, from women AND men. Even a lot of women doesn't seem that interested in the male form, it almost seems that gay men are the biggest fans of the male form, look at some of their pride parades. But yeah, why are only women allowed to refer to other women as sexy etc and not be labelled gay for it? Stupid double standard.
are you sarcastic?I hope so
men don't refer to other men as being sexy, unless they're gay

Old 01-24-2014, 07:44 PM

784 posts, read 1,980,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
I hope you're wrong
I cant' stand the 80s when men walk the street bare naked, in spandex, shortest shorts possible, singlets and stuff
that was ridicolous beyond any reasonable doubt

masculinty means in the first place to be smart, self-coinfident, phisically and mentally strong etc
not "sexy"

are you sarcastic?I hope so
men don't refer to other men as being sexy, unless they're gay
I find it equally ridiculous that now shorts for men have to be at or below the knee and baggy enough to fit 2 or 3 legs in one leg hole or the wearer is considered gay. Men weren't judged harshly for their style of dress until the long and baggy style and the hip hop/young urban movement with its ideals of hypermasculinity that was largely a backlash to the gay rights movement of the 1980s. Since then, if a male does not meet the super macho image by the way he acts, talks, or dresses, he is labeled gay. Anyway, what I've seen in men's shorts lately is the mid-thigh look coming back among younger men, especially in and around major cities. I do not think we will ever again see the ultra short spandex look on men that you were referring to.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:57 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I find it equally ridiculous that now shorts for men have to be at or below the knee and baggy enough to fit 2 or 3 legs in one leg hole or the wearer is considered gay. Men weren't judged harshly for their style of dress until the long and baggy style and the hip hop/young urban movement with its ideals of hypermasculinity that was largely a backlash to the gay rights movement of the 1980s. Since then, if a male does not meet the super macho image by the way he acts, talks, or dresses, he is labeled gay. Anyway, what I've seen in men's shorts lately is the mid-thigh look coming back among younger men, especially in and around major cities. I do not think we will ever again see the ultra short spandex look on men that you were referring to.
I completely agree.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:04 AM

558 posts, read 1,120,139 times
Short shorts are for girls. Guys look wimpy in them. Me, I like the long Dickies Shorts that are almost pants. Cholo style.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:33 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
I do NOT like the long "cholo style" pants. But each to their own. However, I will go no longer than 9" inseam and prefer 6" inch. I don't care what others think. My orientation is none of their business.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:43 PM

784 posts, read 1,980,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I do NOT like the long "cholo style" pants. But each to their own. However, I will go no longer than 9" inseam and prefer 6" inch. I don't care what others think. My orientation is none of their business.
I prefer a 3 to 5 inch inseam myself and will go no longer than a 6 inch. The way my legs are, a 6 inch inseam ends just above my knees.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
This is a new thread on a previously discussed topic. Several years ago, I made a thread asking if shorter shorts were coming back for men, and some said yes while others said no. In 2013, I've noticed a considerable amout of men going around in above the knee and even mid-thigh length shorts. So it might appear that for the first time since the early 1990s, guys may not have to wear the long and baggy shorts much longer without violating a social taboo. Do you think this trend will continue? I personally hope so.
yes i think so it was nice fashion for mens, i am a fashion designer but may be this will not continue.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:18 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
I prefer shorts that end below the knee but shorts that end at the knee are acceptable. Anything above the knee is a no, and short shorts are a hell no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty