U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-14-2013, 06:31 AM

13,436 posts, read 8,311,666 times
Agree with the suggestions above. Also, try Lucky Brand. I have a Lucky bag that's been my regular carry for 3 years now. It still looks new. A lesser bag would already have folded by now.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:33 AM

16,108 posts, read 9,452,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Ok, I seem to have this special gift to break purse straps. I know it's because I practically carry my house in my purse. What brand produces strong and sturdy purses that will last? I'm tired of buying new purses all the time.

I sell handbags made out of Seatbelts (NOT Harvey), and they will last pretty much a lifetime.
I've had the same bags for about 10 years now in different colors and I change them every month and they all look and feel brand new.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 06:36 AM

10,754 posts, read 8,774,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Ok, I seem to have this special gift to break purse straps. I know it's because I practically carry my house in my purse. What brand produces strong and sturdy purses that will last? I'm tired of buying new purses all the time.

Invest a little more and you won't have this issue.

I swear by Coach bags. They are stylish, durable and not trendy. The newest one that I own is three years old. They all look good and stay in good shape with a minimum of care.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:37 AM

5,516 posts, read 5,737,146 times
Any bag that is real leather should hold up better over time than one that is synthetic leather.

Coach is the first that comes to mind, but I also have bags from Perlina, Donald J Pliner, and Brighton that have held up well over the years.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:33 AM

1,266 posts, read 985,851 times
LL Bean Signature (more exclusive line than regular LL Bean), check out their leather bags. Their nubuck is butter and amazing.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:02 AM

7,408 posts, read 5,039,773 times
Most good leather bags will last and make sure the straps are not narrow. You can find a decent bag for under $100--I like Tignanallo because they seem to have pockets in the places where I want pockets and they're decent looking. You don't really need a designer bag. (I'm a practical minded person.)

Old 08-14-2013, 12:10 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,029,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I swear by Coach bags. They all look good and stay in good shape with a minimum of care.
May I ask those of you with leather bags, how do you take care of them? Does anyone use those bottles of leather polish for a once/yr sprucing up? Or, just a wipe down if rain, snow or any moisture has gotten onto the bag?

Old 08-14-2013, 01:03 PM

16,136 posts, read 29,204,015 times
Just a wipe down. Once when one got some mold (unknown dampness in closet) I used leather cleaner.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-14-2013 at 02:37 PM..

Old 08-14-2013, 01:58 PM

7,654 posts, read 7,588,759 times
Have you ever considered a messenger bag ? I love em and they are so conveinent and they hold alot of stuff too .

Old 08-14-2013, 02:14 PM

16,771 posts, read 10,777,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
May I ask those of you with leather bags, how do you take care of them? Does anyone use those bottles of leather polish for a once/yr sprucing up? Or, just a wipe down if rain, snow or any moisture has gotten onto the bag?
I use leather conditioner once and a while. I forget all the time. It really depends on the conditions you are thinking of, and the leather.

A stiffer leather will hold up better under the elements than softer leather. Softer leather will stiffen with rain. Harder leather maybe rain resistant. You may even like the look of the softer leather after rain.

We don't have snow where I live. When it rains, I have an umbrella, but I don't worry about incidental water contact. I just wipe it down. Not very "nice" to my bags. I don't treat them with kid gloves.

They look fine!

I did get "saffiano leather" bags recently, and these are stiffer but scratch and moisture resistant. At this point one saffiano bag I have is about 2 years old and the other is around 6 months. The 2 year one is my rain/laptop bag. It is doing pretty well! There are a few tiny scuffs on the hardware and that is it so far. (Michael Kors bag).

I agree with the reco on thicker straps. Most of my leather bags have held up well. Except for the one with thin straps. That one died after about 2 - 3 years. I have other leather bags that are 10+ years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty