U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 02:00 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,093,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
1. Hawaiian Shirts

2. White socks (but short ones) with sneakers

1. Because they are awesome.

2. What else should he wear with sneakers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 06:12 PM

2,813 posts, read 4,315,108 times
I love Hawaiian shirts on men. As far as socks, I think the very short ones work fine with sneakers. Just no socks & sandals. Or man furs.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:20 AM

3,877 posts, read 4,576,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdocjolly View Post
Skinny jeans!!

Clearly, not all men wear them...but I don't understand why any man would. For women, it's to accentuate their hips, thighs, and legs....and also to look fashionably wonderful with knee high boots.

But men? Why?!?

I knew a guy who was 6'3", and wore skinny jeans on a regular basis. His gf thought he looked great wearing them. Huh????
I think they look good on a man who's in good shape, in a rock-and-roll sort of way. It doesn't work on a guy with a gut.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 AM

15,231 posts, read 23,764,219 times
I HATE WITH A PASSION hawaian shirts.

They are loud, obnoxious and way too busy for eyes.
My FIL wears one that when I see him in it, I completely cringe. Hideous, just hideous.
but then, he is a loud and obnoxious anyway, so I guess it fits.

ankle socks with sneakers

Old 08-19-2013, 02:06 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,129,964 times
Not all men can carry off wearing a Hawaiian shirt. On a less than confident person they just don't look good. Hard to explain, but it is sort of like wearing a Western style hat in the east. Some men can carry it off; others look goofy.

No socks....yikes.....it defines men of a 'certain age'. Ankle socks with golf shoes or sneakers--perfectly fine.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:34 AM

321 posts, read 501,603 times
i've always wondered why those ugly yellow Timberland boots are so popular with men over the age of 25. Yuck.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:04 AM

2,960 posts, read 4,692,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Not all men can carry off wearing a Hawaiian shirt. On a less than confident person they just don't look good. Hard to explain, but it is sort of like wearing a Western style hat in the east. Some men can carry it off; others look goofy.

No socks....yikes.....it defines men of a 'certain age'. Ankle socks with golf shoes or sneakers--perfectly fine.
I don't think it is so much confidence as different things work for different people. I'm very confident in the way I dress and I just do not wear Hawaiian shirts because 1) I don't like them and 2) they do not work with my overall style of dress at all. But there are things I wear that would look bad on other people or body-types. Just how it goes.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:16 PM

2,698 posts, read 9,527,131 times
I don't care for Hawaiian shirts since, as a Big & Tall gent (I'm both), it used to be for the longest time that Hawaiian shirts were all you could ever find for 'casual' wear. Got real sick of 'em.

As for the socks thing.....I'm confused. Are you proposing wearing NO socks with shoes? Ick, no thanks. That's just asking for a blister, or at least a sweaty and foul-smelling foot when they come off. But what do I know about sock fashion? I only started wearing shorter socks with shorts a few years back. Until then, I wore calf-length ones and pushed them down. Never saw anything wrong with it.

Chick magnet, I know.

Mike

Old 08-20-2013, 02:41 PM

61 posts, read 112,761 times
My dad is 51 and is obsessed with hawaiian shirts.. he wore one to his 2nd wedding.... I hate them, they're the cheesiest of the cheesiest and he wears denim shorts and HIGH white socks with either camo crocs or his slip on shoes. It's quite embarrassing.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:44 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,830,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
1. Hawaiian Shirts

2. White socks (but short ones) with sneakers

My husband will never wear #1 - he usually wears a polo shirt or a long sleeved shirt (rolled up sleeves) so that's fine.

But, he is guilty of #2 - the little white socks - ugh - trying to get him into a pair of loafers with no socks - but he complains he is a size 14 shoe and he's going for comfort.

In his 50's but could pass for younger. Not overweight.
My husband will wear about anything I purchase for him and as far as the socks go, he always wears white socks because his feet sweat a lot when he has colored socks on. Even if he wears black socks for a few hours, it is beyond blech when he takes those shoes off.......

Why would you change the way your husband wears his shoes and socks? Even guys in their 60's wear white socks and are not overweight (I'm not sure what this has to do with white socks or Hawaiian shirts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty