U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 03:00 PM

4,851 posts, read 8,319,922 times

Advertisements

1. Hawaiian Shirts

2. White socks (but short ones) with sneakers

My husband will never wear #1 - he usually wears a polo shirt or a long sleeved shirt (rolled up sleeves) so that's fine.

But, he is guilty of #2 - the little white socks - ugh - trying to get him into a pair of loafers with no socks - but he complains he is a size 14 shoe and he's going for comfort.

In his 50's but could pass for younger. Not overweight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 04:48 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Not all men wear those.
My husband doesn't (even with his size 15 shoes... don't see how shoe size is an excuse for type of sock worn).

Old 08-15-2013, 07:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,562,503 times
I only wear those little white socks with shorts, and it's much better than shorts with sneakers and high brown or argyle socks! No socks is not an option, nor are loafers.

I only wear Hawaiian shirts when in Hawaii, when not at work it's pocket Ts, unless going out when I might wear a polo shirt.

In general, like most guys, I don't care what I look like as much as what I'm comfortable in. That goes for my feet as well as my clothes. My wife has gotten used to it, after 39 years.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:55 PM

341 posts, read 385,854 times
earrings?

Old 08-15-2013, 07:59 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,258,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
1. Hawaiian Shirts

My husband will never wear #1 - he usually wears a polo shirt or a long sleeved shirt (rolled up sleeves) so that's fine.

But, he is guilty of #2 - the little white socks - ugh - trying to get him into a pair of loafers with no socks - but he complains he is a size 14 shoe and he's going for comfort.

#1. Because some guys look pretty bad with no shirt.
#2. Because your feet can get blistered and sweaty with no socks.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:00 PM

509 posts, read 622,419 times
Hawaiian shirts are awesome, I love the really colorful ones the best. I think they're fun. On guys. I don't wear them

Old 08-15-2013, 10:06 PM

72,664 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeksil View Post
Hawaiian shirts are awesome, I love the really colorful ones the best. I think they're fun. On guys. I don't wear them
Hawaiian shirts are great summer shirts! And the ones made out of the old-fashioned cotton fabric that's textured help beat the heat, too. They function like seersucker, they insulate you against the heat a bit. Hawaiian prints are great, but maybe I like them because I'm from a sun & surf region--California? I get vintage ones, usually; the colors and quality of the prints are usually more tasteful. Cheap design and fabrics look cheap or garish. Tommy Bahama has made some nice ones for women in the past, but few of them are cotton, most are silk, which is too hot in warm weather.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-15-2013 at 10:58 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 10:18 PM

38,751 posts, read 37,920,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
1. Hawaiian Shirts

I couldn't imagine a more gay look than a 50 yr old guy with loafers and no socks..... LOL....

Sorry to offend, and I'm in my 40's.....

Short white socks with sneakers is totally fine... if he were wearing short black socks with sneaks...... we'd have a problem....

Old 08-15-2013, 10:27 PM

3,581 posts, read 9,002,297 times
When you say "short white socks" are you talking about those anklet type socks or crew athletic socks?

I like the Hawaiian type shirts (Carribean or Tommy Bahama) as long as they are not too garish. A nice change of pace from the Guayaberra style I grew up seeing in the 70's. I only wear them with casual slacks though, with shorts I prefer T's.

I also prefer a gray crew sock with loafers or sneakers unless I am wearing jeans, then I prefer white. I think these look much better than the dress socks with my cargo shorts. I cannot stand to go sockless except in sandals or flip-flops. The bare feet stink up closed shoes very quickly and wear out the linings much too fast.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:32 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,518,037 times
I love Hawaiian shirts on men and I buy mine a few every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty