U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 06:17 PM

14,315 posts, read 12,577,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Absolutely stunning! and so classy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
THAT is a gorgeous dress! Wow!
I think so too.

A dress like that would accentuate her bosom and there would be no unflattering "2cd story muffin top".

Now, as much as I love that dress....it would not be the right dress for me.....because I don't have a nice enough bosom to carry it off.

Something along the lines of Princess Grace's wedding dress would be much more flattering on me.

So, that is what I would choose......a dress that makes me look good......isn't that the whole point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 06:42 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,658,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I think so too.

A dress like that would accentuate her bosom and there would be no unflattering "2cd story muffin top".

Now, as much as I love that dress....it would not be the right dress for me.....because I don't have a nice enough bosom to carry it off.

Something along the lines of Princess Grace's wedding dress would be much more flattering on me.

So, that is what I would choose......a dress that makes me look good......isn't that the whole point?
For a whole lot of folks, that's exactly the whole point. They want clothing that makes THEM look good. If you can pair up your body....with clothes which are not only in your color family, but fit your best style form, you've got a really winning combination.

Finding clothes that fit, can be a daunting and depressing task for someone who isn't built to the same specs as the clothes available on the rack in many stores.

I'm an "above average height and build--for a woman", and I can probably find one item out of a hundred, which actually fits me. Not all plus-size women have big boobs, some have big trunks. Not all plus sized women have soft, cushy, mid-sections, which require a much longer seam line from the waist to the crotch. For me, that means that most of the "off the rack" pants are too short in the legs and too long in the crotch. You see, I'm "nicely proportioned", but I'm an XXL version.

Dressing my upper body is no easier. If I buy to fit my shoulders, the armpits are hanging too low and in the wrong fabric, it appears as if I'm far larger through the midsection than I am. Why? Because my shoulders act as tent poles, that hold the garment away from my body and make me look like I'm wearing a tent. Because of those same broad shoulders and large trunk, finding a "taylored/contoured" style that fits, is like finding a needle in a haystack. The only solution? BELT it! LOL

To the OP, this is such an important day...one that I hope you'll be describing to your children and grandchildren some day. It's YOU whom you want to look beautiful. Let's face it, you're already beautiful....you are! Choose a dress that is going to accentuate your beauty, not detract from it.

Lovely lady, when trying on that dress, or anything for that matter, look in the mirror and ask yourself, "How does this dress make me look?" or "What do I look like in this dress?" The focus should always be on YOU....not the dress. An article of clothing can completely take the focus off of you. People JUDGE. Even people who love you with all of their hearts. It's just human nature. Keep the focus on YOU.....not on your clothing.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:13 PM

912 posts, read 1,190,184 times
Both dresses are beautiful, but that first one is a showstopper. That's my vote.

I got married at a weight that's about 30 lbs above my ideal weight, and I wore a strapless dress with pride. I loved the dress and loved how I felt in it. Now, granted, an extra 30 lbs is not the same as being 300+lbs, but I think the same idea applies. You have to wear what makes you feel beautiful.

Four years and much more toned arms later, I look at my pictures and I don't think "Ugh, look how fat my arms were" -- I think "Look at how happy we are here" and "I loved that dress so much."

If you feel beautiful in the first dress, wear it and wear it with a big smile. That's what people will remember.

Also, just as an aside -- I tried on a dress very similar to the second dress, and while the neckline was flattering, the off-shoulder straps looked awkward on my arms and weren't comfortable at all.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:58 AM

4,721 posts, read 4,288,335 times
Wear the one you love. A dress can't make you look big or small. We are the size we are, so we might as well embrace it and dress like we want.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:11 AM

811 posts, read 981,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No-brainer. Why would you want a dress that isn't flattering?

A word to the wise: A wedding photographer wrote into a newspaper advice column, once. He begged women not to get strapless gowns. He says it's inevitable that at some point during the reception, tossing the bouquet, dancing, whenever, "the girls" will pop out and make a surprise appearance. If you don't want to be flashing the audience and providing a free peep show, go with the other gown.
I won't mind if Duchamp Girl's boobs pop out when she hurls the bouquet.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:11 AM

324 posts, read 492,987 times
Buy the one you look best in.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:29 PM

811 posts, read 981,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
Buy the one you look best in.
I lived in Greenwood village for 15 months. Happy to see that name!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty