U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 02:11 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,465,276 times

Advertisements

I need a new (old) fragrance. I don't wear it often, but I'd like to wear something daily or almost daily, something that will not be too strong, and acceptable to wear to the office (I work in a cubicle).

I like floral and fresh scents. Two fragrances that I loved in the past were Yves Rosher Ming Shu fleur rare EDT and Tommy Hilfiger True Star (I think it was EDT, as well, but all I can find in stores and on-line now is EDP, so not sure). EDP would be too strong, for sure .

Another option I thought of was to use body spray - they are not too strong, but also don't last more than several hours. I really like to still have a little hint of scent by mid afternoon - it really lifts my mood if it is something I like.

I hate going to perfume stores or department stores and get sprayed with 5 different perfumes. It's no way to choose one. In my mind, you need to try one at a time and wear it for at least several hours, to let base notes come out.

I would go get one of my two favorite fragrances that I mentioned above, but Tommy True Star EDT is nowhere to be found, and Ming Shu is kinda expensive (edit to say - never mind, I found some reasonably priced on eBay, hopefully, they are legit). On top of that, it's been at least 7 years since I had Ming Shu, so who knows if it still works the same way with my body chemistry?

How do YOU choose perfume?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 02:56 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,573,153 times
Finding a new fragrance can be challenging--I've been looking for a couple of years! Here are my two methods:

1. When shopping in a mall for fragrances, I carry a few alcohol swipe pads in the foil packets (to remove scents I tried and don't like) and also a tiny bag of whole coffee beans to sniff between tester sprays to clear the fragrance from my nose--Nordstrom usually has beans in little glass containers on the perfume counter, too.

2. Easiest for me is to go to Perfume Samples, Colognes, and Fragrances | MyPerfumeSamples.com
They have hundreds of samples in the tiny vials. Have ordered about 30 so far and all seem to be genuine fragrances samples, not copy cats.

It would be good to make sure your cubicle mate is not allergic to fragrances.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:44 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
I have been wearing my fav since the mid 1960s (Chantilly) and the next fav since it came out (Obsession). My MIL gave me the first and I smelled the second in a store. I also like Boucheron's Jaipur. I rotate them as I can't smell it after a few days. If I smell something in a store, and like it, I try it to see if it works on me. I also smell all the ads that come in magazines. If I like one, I go to the store to try it - that's how I found Jaipur.

Obsession smells like baby powder on me.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:13 PM

79 posts, read 80,481 times
Default Please just say no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
I need a new (old) fragrance. I don't wear it often, but I'd like to wear something daily or almost daily, something that will not be too strong, and acceptable to wear to the office (I work in a cubicle).

I like floral and fresh scents. Two fragrances that I loved in the past were Yves Rosher Ming Shu fleur rare EDT and Tommy Hilfiger True Star (I think it was EDT, as well, but all I can find in stores and on-line now is EDP, so not sure). EDP would be too strong, for sure .

Another option I thought of was to use body spray - they are not too strong, but also don't last more than several hours. I really like to still have a little hint of scent by mid afternoon - it really lifts my mood if it is something I like.

I hate going to perfume stores or department stores and get sprayed with 5 different perfumes. It's no way to choose one. In my mind, you need to try one at a time and wear it for at least several hours, to let base notes come out.

I would go get one of my two favorite fragrances that I mentioned above, but Tommy True Star EDT is nowhere to be found, and Ming Shu is kinda expensive (edit to say - never mind, I found some reasonably priced on eBay, hopefully, they are legit). On top of that, it's been at least 7 years since I had Ming Shu, so who knows if it still works the same way with my body chemistry?

How do YOU choose perfume?
I don't wear perfume. Ever. Places are beginning to ban it due to chemical sensitivity in others. I would suggest you heed this. I use natural soap and detergent so that even those things are not noxious. If you MUST wear some scent, please go to a health store and get essential oil. Ylang-ylang is divine.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raina starling View Post
I don't wear perfume. Ever. Places are beginning to ban it due to chemical sensitivity in others. I would suggest you heed this. I use natural soap and detergent so that even those things are not noxious. If you MUST wear some scent, please go to a health store and get essential oil. Ylang-ylang is divine.
I use unscented everything - soap, detergent etc. I detest the smell of clothes washed in strong-scented detergent, or dried with strong fabric softener sheet. Those make me sick.
Sometimes I do crave a scent, however. I will check out the essential oil option, thanks!

Old 08-17-2013, 09:00 PM

4,236 posts, read 3,028,074 times
Get a sample of a perfume you like, and wear it for an entire day for a day or two to see how you like it. Check to see if it develops nicely on you or not, and whether it is overpowering or fades too fast.

If it works well for your chemistry, buy it. If not, keep on looking.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:13 PM

11,427 posts, read 19,438,504 times
The last time I fell in love with a fragrance, I bought a Vogue or something that has that big September issue, and opened the flap of the perfume ad and rubbed it on. Fell head over heels in love with Estee Lauder's Sensuous.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:43 PM

I ordered a 6 perfume sample set, I'm pretty excited about one of them after reading some reviews. Will see what happens!

Old 08-18-2013, 04:55 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Wearing anything scented is a touchy thing anymore. We have a friend we play bridge with every week. She is sensitive to all fragrances, even scented candles. None of us wear anything that would bother her when we play bridge, but some of our subs are not aware of this and our friend will develop a horrible headache. That being said, I do wear a little perfume. I wear so little, our granddaughter got me a bottle of White Diamonds for Christmas two years ago. It looks like it has barely been opened. More than deciding not to wear any, like many things, the secret is wearing it in moderation.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:43 AM

14,492 posts, read 11,474,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raina starling View Post
I too have had MCS since my teens in the 1960s and cant be near perfumed products.. more public places should be banning all this. with Multiple chemical illness, no moderation is ok with perfumes. of any kind, its complete avoidance.. as it causes so many terrible symptoms to sufferers..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty