U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 PM

6,779 posts, read 6,854,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I grew up in the 80's when really short shorts were the fashion (at least according to old family photos I've seen) so I have always been used to wearing shorts that didn't ever go past the knee. In recent years it's become quite a quest shopping for new shorts because it seems that most shorts made in the last 10 years are the longer style shorts that go below the knees. For some reason it bugs me when I wear longer shorts since the fabric rubs against my knees as I walk. I do a lot of hiking/walking and the shorter "cargo" type shorts have always worked well and feel much more comfortable for me. They aren't usually much shorter than an inch or so above the knee so it's not like I am wearing "Daisy Duke" type shorts. GF recently told me she thinks my shorts are too short and that guys shouldn't wear shorts above the knee. What do you think?
I find that ridiculous. My fiancee' is quite a fashionable guy, and he has plenty of shorts that are a little bit above the knee. I think they look fine, his knees are not offensive, lol. Bermuda shorts are supposed to be 1" above the knee, and this is a classic style. Shorts at or just below the knee look good too, but I don't like the super long ones, they can look too much like Capri pants, for me that's an odd look on a man.

Here's a quote from The Telegraph August 2013, it's British, but probably applies to the US as well:
Nick Keyte, the head of menswear buying at John Lewis, said: "We're making them cleaner and smarter so men can wear shorts and still look professional. Our most popular range is the chinos, which are one or two inches above the knee - not too revealing.
"We stopped selling shorts that reach down to the calf as it is no longer what our customers want."
As always trends change!

Last edited by detshen; 08-20-2013 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 07:02 PM

27,425 posts, read 17,619,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Your girlfriend is wrong.
You are right.

I'm with you. I prefer shorts at around a 5" inseam, but they're not easy to find.

I was telling my husband about the guy claiming I was trying to cover him up.... and then DH saw this and wants to know how you hide your guy tool with shorts with a 5" inseam, which is cracking me up.

He's on meds, you'll have to forgive him.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
Yeah it's ridiculous how guys aren't 'supposed' to wear short shorts but girls are showing their butt-cheeks and almost showing their privates. If your girlfriend has a problem with it that's her problem.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 PM

818 posts, read 1,480,309 times
There's a massive difference between short shorts and shorts that are just above the knee. I've never heard a complaint about an exposed knee but nobody wants to see a guy's inner thigh.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:23 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,278,164 times
Way above the knee could seem ridiculous, but slightly above the knee, I don't see the deal. Of course if your butt is hanging out, yes no man should wear those. But really you are over thinking it. I am only 26 now, and recently started wearing shorts after a 13 yr hiatus. Last time I wore shorts was at age 13 back in the year 2000.

My short is slighty above the knee, where as when I was kid I would wear shorts that would put girls to shame.

It is no big deal, and also anything that is long as a pair of pants is stupid.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Shorts too short?-19027_10200515249712862_1341243373_n-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Nema98; 08-20-2013 at 11:39 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 11:41 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,278,164 times

You want to see really short shorts on a boy, there you have it! I would never dare wear those now that I am in my 20s!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:31 AM

3,876 posts, read 4,571,964 times
I prefer a lower-thigh to just-above-the-knee length on men's shorts. If a man has toothpick legs, then near the knee is better; if a man is so obese that any shorts ride up from chub rub, then he should wear long pants. do not like those capri pants for men; the only men who can pull that off well are gorgeous Italians wearing linen ones at the beach at sunset -- and, frankly, they're going to look good in anything or nothing at all, so they don't really count for this discussion.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:05 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,467,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
They aren't usually much shorter than an inch or so above the knee so it's not like I am wearing "Daisy Duke" type shorts. GF recently told me she thinks my shorts are too short and that guys shouldn't wear shorts above the knee. What do you think?
I think an inch above the knee is not too short by any means. Personally, I think shorts that are too long look a little juvenile, as do shorts/pants that sag too far below the waist. It's one thing if you're a teenager and trying to achieve "cool", but for a grown man to look put together, IMHO his clothes should look reasonably fitted to his body. I think really short shorts on a man run the risk of showing off more than most want to see, but an inch above the knee isn't even what I'd consider slightly short. I think you're fine.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 AM

623 posts, read 796,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
You want to see really short shorts on a boy, there you have it! I would never dare wear those now that I am in my 20s!
Yes, there you have it. Parents now wouldn't dare put their little boy in shorts like that (supposing they could find any in the store) but for girls, it would be fine. As for what a grown man might choose to wear, he might as well think about going around with a melon on his head. It's really tragic.

But then, there are older men who grew up with reasonable length shorts, who just shake their heads over the whole business and wear what they choose, and if their kids object, they just say, "I'm too old for that stuff. You youngsters can be neurotic if you want." Hopeless old geezers, just one step away from the nursing home.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:09 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,516,023 times
I do not like those long shorts on a man, I much prefer the cargo type you are talking about, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty