U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:34 AM

2,651 posts, read 2,120,598 times

Advertisements

I don't know if there has ever been a lengthy period in any society where heterosexual men dressed to show off their legs. There were times hundreds of years ago when European men wore tights, but I think it was just people associated with royalty and I don't know how long that lasted or whether it was intended to emphasize the legs or because something better hadn't been invented yet.
Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tights#...cal_background
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 01:55 PM

14,331 posts, read 12,584,128 times
And then there is the main reason why someone wears shorts in the first place.

TO COOL OFF IN HOT WEATHER.

It's kind of silly to wear shorts that are so long that the air cannot even reach your legs to cool you off.

I can't even imagine wearing "shorts" below my knees when I am mowing the yard in 80+degree heat just to placate the fashonistas in the neighborhood.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:05 PM

Exposed skin in direct sunlight probably gets warmed up more than skin would if clothed. The fabric and how fitted the shorts are also determine how cooling they are. Which might not have anything to do with the reason for this thread.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:14 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,354,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I don't know if there has ever been a lengthy period in any society where heterosexual men dressed to show off their legs. There were times hundreds of years ago when European men wore tights, but I think it was just people associated with royalty and I don't know how long that lasted or whether it was intended to emphasize the legs or because something better hadn't been invented yet.
Edit: Tights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How about for most of human history? I know it wasn't explicitly to show off their legs, it was simply how things were. The recent trend for only women to do so is to do with the sexualisation of women RELATIVE to men.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:38 PM

8,592 posts, read 11,886,406 times
A hundred years ago men used to swim naked in mixed company.

Now women get all hot and bothered by seeing anything above a man's knee.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:32 PM

58 posts, read 129,412 times
I like my guy's shorts at the knee or just below...No to the short-shorts lol

Old 09-05-2013, 04:46 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,371,776 times
All you uptight dressers need to spend a summer where I live.

It gets hot enough to literally fry an egg on the pavement.

Folks get around virtually naked and no one gives a damn.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 PM

3,469 posts, read 6,939,893 times
The longer than knee trend in shorts for men has been going on since the early 90s....
What's amusing is now that the OP is being nudged to adopt it, the young hipster guys are sporting shorts above the knee again - haha!
Of course, even they don't pull it off that well. I've seen a few men at the beach in stylish swim trunks above the knee who had great bodies & they did not look bad. But most men don't pick up on nuances in fashion enough to do it right.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:09 PM

My automatic negative reaction is in part because he's middle-aged. I doubt it has ever been common, outside maybe the tropics and beach areas, for someone over 40 to regularly wear short shorts in public. That also applies to women.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:52 PM

8,578 posts, read 13,464,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
The longer than knee trend in shorts for men has been going on since the early 90s....
What's amusing is now that the OP is being nudged to adopt it, the young hipster guys are sporting shorts above the knee again - haha!
Of course, even they don't pull it off that well. I've seen a few men at the beach in stylish swim trunks above the knee who had great bodies & they did not look bad. But most men don't pick up on nuances in fashion enough to do it right.
Not every guy! I have been wearing my Tommy Bamaha's shorts for over 10 years, all summer long.They stop just above the knee. Very universal, I can go to a nice evening restaurant , to construction machine / steel toe boots during the day. I have 9 pairs, always w/ TB flowered shirts. ( all part of my freedom in retirement).some are silk. It's a casual way to dress up or down at the same time....works for me and I am 72years young!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty