U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 12:38 PM

2,726 posts, read 3,691,600 times

Advertisements

I got some Territory Ahead green khaki shorts a couple years ago. 6 inch inseams and they are about a couple inches above the knee. I love them and I don't care what others think. As another poster stated, when you live in the desert, you keep cool regardless of what others think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 07:55 PM

8,544 posts, read 11,876,258 times
This reminds me of a funny thing I saw once on David Letterman. It was in the 80's when men were still wearing short shorts. The guitarist (Sid) was wearing shorts while the band was playing the introduction theme when David walks out. David sort of frowned and pointed to him and looked at Paul Shaffer. Paul just sort of shook his head while he was playing and held up one open hand, like he didn't know why the guitarist was wearing short shorts.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:15 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,526,479 times
Yeah, shorts should rest around the neighborhood of your knee. Not too much above or below it.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:27 AM

5,531 posts, read 8,188,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I grew up in the 80's when really short shorts were the fashion (at least according to old family photos I've seen) so I have always been used to wearing shorts that didn't ever go past the knee. In recent years it's become quite a quest shopping for new shorts because it seems that most shorts made in the last 10 years are the longer style shorts that go below the knees. For some reason it bugs me when I wear longer shorts since the fabric rubs against my knees as I walk. I do a lot of hiking/walking and the shorter "cargo" type shorts have always worked well and feel much more comfortable for me. They aren't usually much shorter than an inch or so above the knee so it's not like I am wearing "Daisy Duke" type shorts. GF recently told me she thinks my shorts are too short and that guys shouldn't wear shorts above the knee. What do you think?
Where do people get these stupid rules from? Shorts below the knees look ridiculous.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:40 AM

2,308 posts, read 3,217,499 times
I hate shorts below the knees, they look stupid, and are not comfortable. I prefer mine just above the knee. If THAT is showing too much leg, then the world has gone bonkers! I find it ironic that a woman complained about the length of a man's shorts. Women's shorts look like bikinis now. Even girls who have no business in short shorts, are wearing them! 2" above the knee is perfectly acceptable, unless you're a REALLY short man. Then 1"!

Old 02-28-2014, 07:53 AM

5,531 posts, read 8,188,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Yeah, shorts should rest around the neighborhood of your knee. Not too much above or below it.
I think a little above the knee makes the most sense. I don't like Richard Simmons shorts, but I have no problem with shorts above the knee a reasonable amount.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:36 PM

857 posts, read 724,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Exactly.

The baggy, long shorts remind me of those long skorts old ladies used to wear. Talk about looking feminine. LOL
One time when the Lakers had won the NBA post-season and some of them were shown standing up in a convertible wearing their giant tops over their giant shorts, it actually looked like they were wearing yellow sundresses.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Your gf likes to think of you as a man, you shouldn't be wearing Richard Simmons-like booty shorts, shes perfectly reasonable in her request. I'm a man and also do all kinds of activity in normal below the knee length shorts. And to be honest, if you were around when the booty shorts were popular for men, its probably not the best sight and she might be breaking it to u in a way she believes is diplomatic.

Waitwaitwait...how on Earth do you equate the OP's shorts that hit maybe a couple inches above the knee with Richard Simmons? If Simmons had worn his any shorter his cheeks would have been falling out; the OP's shorts hitting maybe two or three inches above the knee is a world apart. Do people really not get this?

Old 11-04-2014, 08:24 AM

5,813 posts, read 3,092,897 times
It seems to me that about the time we were shifting from tight to baggy that the average teenage boy athlete was becoming more heavily muscled. The average size of a lineman at my high school grew by 50 lbs. Meanwhile the general population was becoming more obese. The cut of the skin tight clothing was no longer fitting. Even the term "skin tight" disappeared from popular songs. Today you only see such clothes on men who need functional clothes that can not be grabbed in a grappling sport. For the rest the loose fit hides the excessively skinny as well as the fat as well as being easier and cheaper to produce to fit the mass consumer base.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:56 PM

For an amusing slant on this topic, check out what happened when some students decided to protest a new short-shorts rule in their high school:

Maggie L. Walker Governor's School Protested Dress Code In The Best Possible Way

(Warning: Link contains pictures of males in short shorts, including the poster for Brüno starring Sacha Baron Cohen, so just read my synopsis if you prefer.)

In a nutshell, the school announced they were going to subject any girl wearing shorts to the "fingertip length" test. That's not so bad in itself, but the way the school planned to enforce it was that if they caught ten girls violating the rule in one day, they'd prohibit all girls in the school from wearing shorts for one day. (Depending on how you feel about dress codes, that might or might not seem harsh, but whatever.)

Because the rule so clearly falls more heavily on the girls than the guys, a group of students decided to protest its inherent sexism by doing a role-reversal: The guys came to school next day in thigh-high cutoffs and 1970s-style athletic shorts, and the girls showed in the longest, bulkiest, and most modest attire they could find.

I'm not sure what the final outcome was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty