U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 03:10 AM

17,159 posts, read 22,167,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
So that all of you know , she said thank you and went about her business , she just thought it odd that a total stranger would say that to her is all . It was just brought up in casual conversation and i was just wondering how other people might have reacted to that . I just love how some of the posters went off track here . I was just curious is all there was to it .
years ago, men could say and do alot of things, and it wasnt so creepy,,

i helped a lady carry her bags of groceries to the car one day- it was hot and she was pregnant and dropped a bag..the contents went all over the parking lot... i saw that and helped her gather her stuff, and "insisted" i carry them to her car.... when we got to the car, she didnt say anything-,but then said " I was taught growing up , never to trust men, and beware of the smiling wolves." thats why i didnt want your help.at first ..but truly,,,thank you so much,,

however if i had a young daughter, id be warning her that their are kooks in this world, mostly men..
and if a guy said she smelled good,,and nothing more, id hope she'd take it as a compliment.. and move on..

personally, i wont compliment any younger women anymore,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 06:24 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,497,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
"Good Lord you smell good " is a bit overbearing and pings my skeez-o-meter. I'd probably say thank you, not make eye contact, and definitely not smile... don't encourage the stalker.

All sorts of ways to compliment someone politely without coming off all creepy.
That's sad. I feel bad for you.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:47 AM

19,882 posts, read 36,385,911 times
Heck, by my twenties (earlier, really) I knew how to distinguish a creep from a nice guy, and how to accept a simple compliment. It was something that young ladies were taught as a matter of course back in the Bad Old Days when people could actually compliment a stranger and there were accepted ways to responding.

As for the exact wording, depends on where in the country you are whether it's over the top of not. Intonation is important, as well.

"Thank you" and a smile, and moving on (or not), depending on your perception of the speaker and whether or not that leads you to want to continue the encounter, is appropriate.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times
Quote:
It happened to my daughter the other day and she said she did not know how to react . She said thank you and left the store . I was wondering if this might have happened to any other women out there ? just curious and how you reacted .
Count me in the smaller group who thinks it sounds overly excited. I think it's the "good Lord" part. But I'm only reading your retelling of what happened to your daughter, so all the context is lost. On paper, it sounds weird to me, but there's really no way to judge the comment without being there. "I like your perfume" is fine ... she was wearing perfume, right? Because if she wasn't, he was standing too close, which could have unsettled her.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:12 AM

6,274 posts, read 3,573,356 times
What a nice compliment! I would just accept it as such, and say thank you.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:22 AM

7,282 posts, read 8,382,550 times
Quote:
It happened to my daughter the other day and she said she did not know how to react . She said thank you and left the store . I was wondering if this might have happened to any other women out there ? just curious and how you reacted .
Maybe she smelled good?

It happens to men as well. Of course, men are supposed to take that as a compliment while women tend to see it as any but that.

Curious, don't women wear perfume or scents so that others can smell them? Isn't the whole purpose of wearing a perfume or scent so that others will smell the perfume or scent and not something else? If so, why would any comment about the smell be a concern?

It did happen to my daughter once. I thought about it and realized that if a daughter is so young that comments about her smell or appearance bother the parent then perhaps they are too young to be dressing in that manner or wearing perfume. The solution was simple, better choices on the part of both parent and child.

How old is your daughter and is it appropriate for her to wear perfume? I know that these days many mothers often feel it is appropriate for young girls to dress far beyond their age. Of course it seems to that many fathers never other to look or be aware of that either.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:25 AM

39,360 posts, read 14,432,300 times
I've been complimented many times by strangers re: the fragrance I was wearing. And I've complimented strangers of both sexes on the same thing.

It makes my day to receive a compliment from a stranger. My response is to say, "Thank you very much!" and then I go on with my day, smiling.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:58 AM

26,875 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

Curious, don't women wear perfume or scents so that others can smell them? Isn't the whole purpose of wearing a perfume or scent so that others will smell the perfume or scent and not something else? If so, why would any comment about the smell be a concern?

It did happen to my daughter once. I thought about it and realized that if a daughter is so young that comments about her smell or appearance bother the parent then perhaps they are too young to be dressing in that manner or wearing perfume. The solution was simple, better choices on the part of both parent and child.

How old is your daughter and is it appropriate for her to wear perfume? I know that these days many mothers often feel it is appropriate for young girls to dress far beyond their age. Of course it seems to that many fathers never other to look or be aware of that either.
Um, no. People wear perfume because they like it. Or they think it smells nice? Not much to do with everyone else thinks. There is no age limit on perfume. My mom let me "dress up" by putting on her perfume when I was 5.

Why does everything women do have to be about attracting men or male attention? Sheesh!

Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 PM

372 posts, read 470,956 times
Seriously? This IS sad. Why is this thread 6 pages long?

See everyone, this is what all the tablets, droids, iPods does to you. A man complimented someone and now he is either flirting or a stalker. People don't even seem to want to be bothered with anything other than a smartphone these days. If they aren't someone you know and they talk to you, they are a stalker? Really? That's how you make friends, by talking to new people.

Oh boy. If it is this bad now, I'm afraid to think how bad it will be whenever I have kids.
Just sad.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:18 PM

520 posts, read 827,818 times
Quote:
I'd react with surprise, considering all the poo I keep on my person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty