U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 12:23 PM

4,077 posts, read 4,048,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
She was at least 20 years old... not 12 years old. Compliments are not proper?
I was "informed" here on CD just yesterday that making any comment regarding a stranger's appearance is rude, and that such knowledge is Basic Etiquette 101. Sounds like you hadn't gotten the memo from the PC police, either.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 01:07 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,364,709 times
I'm still looking for the problem...he said "Good Lord"? That's the part that makes me smile...he's so earnest.

The fact that he was older than her? Yep old guys have been liking their chances with the youngies for eons now. It's not classy but it's not criminal either. It's life.

I second the poster who said we wear perfume for it to be smelt. Of course we do. Young ladies need to be taught to appreciate the power their femininity holds and use it wisely.

That's your job, mom.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:38 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
That was some full court press flirting on the man's part. It has happened to me before, and I just say thank you and move away..like your daughter did. It's kind of aggressive flirting, therefore a little creepy. But the person who does it fails to realize this.
Reping this one wouldn't be enough so everyone read that response again. Really, it is a creepy world and the "Good Lord" part sort of puts it over the top. You know, I just always thought, wouldn't it be nice for a woman to be able to go out and shop or eat or anything without a guy trying to pick them up. I joined the military and really, it gets old. I doubt she cares what he thinks of the way she smells yet he failed to realize that. Reverse it and look at her telling him this. Probably his lame pickup line. And, clearing out of the store would be a good idea. You know, we did not see the body language this guy was expressing either. Yuck!

Old 08-22-2013, 03:08 PM

372 posts, read 470,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Really, it is a creepy world and the "Good Lord" part sort of puts it over the top.
How? I find it funny/flattering. Not creepy.

Quote:
You know, I just always thought, wouldn't it be nice for a woman to be able to go out and shop or eat or anything without a guy trying to pick them up.
Shows how conceited this world has become. If a stranger compliments you, he MUST want to get in your pants.

Quote:
I doubt she cares what he thinks of the way she smells yet he failed to realize that.
How rude and cold-hearted. Maybe he just wanted to be friendly..? Oh, that's a crime now I guess? And come on, most young girls dress to impress. They do it for themselves too of course, but you can't say young girls don't want guys to notice them, even a little. And when guys DO notice them, they get on their high horse and hit 'em with the 'CREEPY PERV' comment. That's not okay.

Quote:
Probably his lame pickup line. And, clearing out of the store would be a good idea. You know, we did not see the body language this guy was expressing either. Yuck!
The more I read this post, the more troll-ish you become. Leaving the store because someone said a nice thing is a good idea? And you are right, we didn't see what happened. So why are you assuming he was some lame creeper? Yuck?... How?

TROLL ALERT. TROLL ALERT.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:33 PM

2,583 posts, read 1,184,063 times
LOL...I laughed when I saw the title of this topic.

I am almost 60 years old. I was in a convenience store a couple of months ago, and I was standing in line to pay for my purchases. The young man in line beside me at the other register turned to me and said, "Wow, you smell so nice!" He was all of 18 or 19 years old. He was smiling. So was I. (All I had done was taken a shower earlier with scented soap.)

I took it as a compliment. "Thank you," I said.

I know, it's not the same situation as the OP stated, but still.....memories. LOL

Old 08-22-2013, 04:43 PM

372 posts, read 470,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
LOL...I laughed when I saw the title of this topic.

I am almost 60 years old. I was in a convenience store a couple of months ago, and I was standing in line to pay for my purchases. The young man in line beside me at the other register turned to me and said, "Wow, you smell so nice!" He was all of 18 or 19 years old. He was smiling. So was I. (All I had done was taken a shower earlier with scented soap.)

I took it as a compliment. "Thank you," I said.

I know, it's not the same situation as the OP stated, but still.....memories. LOL
LOL, cool. Nice to know that there are still young people out there that respect their elders.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:00 PM

458 posts, read 518,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
To me it was an odd way of giving a compliment, just because of the "Good Lord" part. "Good Lord," in my experience, precedes something bad, like "Good Lord, look at this traffic," or "Good Lord, how does he keep his droopy drawers from falling all the way down."

"Good Lord, you look beautiful!" Hmmmm........nope, just doesn't sound right to me. (emphasis on "TO ME")
You're right!
Religion & Pheromones do not mix

Old 08-24-2013, 04:35 PM

6,821 posts, read 4,424,078 times
say thank you and fart right after...and walk away smiling.....

Old 08-24-2013, 04:50 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,208,781 times
Good lord?
That's odd,must be down south somewhere.
He must have been old or something.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:09 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,366,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
"Good Lord you smell good " is a bit overbearing and pings my skeez-o-meter. I'd probably say thank you, not make eye contact, and definitely not smile... don't encourage the stalker.

All sorts of ways to compliment someone politely without coming off all creepy.
That's sad. I feel bad for you.
Well, I would definitely also consider the tone in which he said it and whether he was in my personal space or not. Someone standing a foot or two away with a pleasant/shy/wistful tone probably wouldn't ring any warning bells; but someone standing right up next to me with a lewd/brazen/lustful tone would send off a klaxon warning. It's called situational awareness... when in doubt, it's always better to err on the side of caution. Thank them so they don't think you're rude which could provoke an altercation, but don't do anything to encourage them either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty