U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 09:16 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,147,354 times

Advertisements

Its pretty much younger women who hang out with women of the same attractiveness. Its because you dont want to be associated with ugly girls. Theres such a thing as the radiating effect of beauty where if decent looking girls get together they all look hot. Youd think it would be wiser for a decent looking girl to roll with wildebeest looking women but it doesnt work that way. Most hot girl groups do however have a "grenade", I've never figured out why that is.

I think its not as common with older women, like 30s and up. Thats where people just more become friends with people with mutual interests and lifestyles. The exception is groups of hot housewives because its difficult to become a golddigging idle housewife if you aren't hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 09:18 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,259,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
I've noticed that hot women are friends with other hot women, generally speaking and ugly women are friends with other ugly women, generally speaking.

Of course, there are exceptions.

Is this a coincidence or what?
Same reason men tend to be friends with other guys in the same tax bracket.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:19 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,259,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
What really amazes me is how often two close female friends will wear almost identical clothing when they are walking around together?

If one wears cutoff jean mini shorts, the other does as well.

If one wears a tight black tank top, the other does as well.

If one wears sandals, the other does as well.

It seems like they must call each other in the morning and decide together what to wear, so they end up looking nearly identical?

And I do notice that women often become friends with other women of similar attractiveness.

Perhaps it's because they want to feel they are equal to their friends, so they don't feel insecure about themselves?

If a homely girl became friends with a very attractive girl, she might be jealous of all the attention the attractive girl received from guys.
I see that with teeny boppers more than grown women. My 14 year old (end even my five year old) is in that phase.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:28 PM

321 posts, read 501,270 times
My friends are pretty diverse. Some are good looking, some less so and we all have different interests and personalities.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,280,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
You are going to judge my friends?
You and your friends, if it is okay with you, that is.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:58 PM

23,903 posts, read 31,130,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
I've noticed that hot women are friends with other hot women, generally speaking and ugly women are friends with other ugly women, generally speaking.

Of course, there are exceptions.

Is this a coincidence or what?
What a silly assumption.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 PM

3,469 posts, read 6,935,218 times
People are supposedly drawn to people who look like them because they subconsciously register as something like "family". They might be drawn to each other because they can relate also; I've seen this with people concerning weight especially.
I think a lot of this has to do with lifestyle & interests & social class as well.
I don't notice this just in women either. I'd say the same is true of men.
And it's more of a generalization than a hard & fast rule.
As for women having similar clothing, that may simply come down to
- they are friends partly because they have similar tastes
- they get ideas from each other's styles
- they shop together
I don't know any women who plan outfits to match...perhaps it's like period cycles aligning - it's just something that happens when you hang out a lot

Old 08-24-2013, 07:40 AM

5,319 posts, read 7,605,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
As for women having similar clothing, that may simply come down to
- they are friends partly because they have similar tastes
- they get ideas from each other's styles
- they shop together
I don't know any women who plan outfits to match...perhaps it's like period cycles aligning - it's just something that happens when you hang out a lot

This is sort of what I am referring to:

July | 2010 | Upper West Side Style

Quote:
As an observer of style and fashion, I’ve noticed this phenomenon quite a bit. I’m sure it’s not a shocking revelation to all you sociologists out there, but peer groups tend to dress alike. I notice it constantly on the street. It appears in both genders and all ages.

I've noticed it a lot myself.

The above can't be coincidental. They must have planned to wear this clothing together.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:41 AM

13 posts, read 17,027 times
What a silly observation!
Maybe all the ridiculous dressing the same nonsense works for school aged girls, but a real woman who is secure and confident is going to wear what she feels is comfortable and looks good on her regardless of what her friends may choose to wear, especially if they are going to the same event or outing. As far as choosing to hang out with other women who may be on the same "attractiveness" scale, give me a break! I don't choose my friends based on how cute, or unattractive they appear to be. I choose my friends based on our common values, likes and interests. I have friends of all different shapes, sizes and each have their own style. In my eyes they are all beautiful to me because I know them well enough to appreciate what's on the inside and not just the outward appearance. Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder but I say "the outward looks can crack or fade away while the inward beauty is always there because it's part of their spirit."

Old 08-24-2013, 08:41 AM

994 posts, read 1,198,480 times
I don't think this is true unless you're solely talking about the extremes (i.e. really attractive women and very unattractive women). For those of us who are in between, maybe 4-7s on the 10-point scale, I don't think your hypothesis holds up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty