Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 09:41 PM

458 posts, read 644,831 times

Advertisements

Go for the James Bond look
Tuxedo with Black Bow Tie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 10:47 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,483,555 times
I like to dress well for such occasions.
For men, a suit for men or a sport coat, slacks, long-sleeve shirt, tie, dressy shoes.
For women, a cocktail dress, or skirt/pants with a very nice top, dressy shoes.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:04 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
The kind of outfit I would wear to a work-related cocktail event. Professional, but dressier than my office clothes.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:32 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
Evening gown

Old 08-26-2013, 07:17 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,382 times
Dress to respect yourself and the performers. No flip-flops, please, because they make an unpleasant sound if you have to walk out to go to the restroom in the middle of the performance which is disturbing to other patrons.

More and more, lately, I've seen people 'dressing up' for things, even dinner out on a weekend. Maybe we're finally getting tired of the 'I want to be comfortable at all costs' thing?

Old 08-26-2013, 11:48 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
I usually wear concert black... because I'm usually one of the performers.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:12 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
This thread reminded me of an experience I had when living in NYC:

I had grown up in a university town with a well known music school, so we were able to attend excellent symphony concerts and operas. My family always dressed nicely - Midwestern Sunday best - for those events, and so did everyone else.

So the year I lived in NYC I was 26 and poor but excited to experience all that NYC had to offer. Surely a performance experience in NYC would be even more wonderful than a performance back home! It took me a long time to save up enough to buy tickets to the Metropolitan Opera. I was so excited! I dressed as nicely as I could afford - nice dress and shoes that hurt - and took a taxi instead of the subway (so expensive!) to the Met. I went up to my balcony seats, all I could afford . . . and sitting next to me were two women dressed in jeans. They had brought sandwiches with them, and chewed on them and burped throughout the performance. That just took the joy out of the whole New York City Opera experience for me. What a disappointment! I never went back. And obviously I never forgot it - that was 30 years ago.

That being said, I do know that historically people often went to the opera to socialize, eat, drink, and gossip, and completely ignore the performance on the stage. But they were well dressed while they did this, I think.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:43 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
In NY I would see people in jeans, even, but that wasn't the norm/ Men wore jackets, if not full suits. I wore the dresses that I wore to work. I would see some women in gowns, but they were also the exception. I think NY is much more forgiving than some other places. You have students who love the classics and why should they be deprived of such beauty because they have little money?
When I lived in NYC I used to go to various concert events at Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall. I found the same gamut of dress, although at Lincoln Center events there were more suits and long dresses. Being a prole, my outfit was chinos, a open-neck dress shirt or solid shirt and a crew neck sweater. My nod to formal dress was that the sweater was always navy blue or black.

In European events that I see on TV there is much more dressing up.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:20 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
In my small Midwestern city, the symphony tends to attract an older, wealthier clientele, with very few students or "young professionals", younger couples out on a date and so forth. Attire tends to be semi-formal. I normally wear a business-suit without a tie, but that's also my usual manner of dress at work. Women tend to wear conservative pant-suits... but keep in mind, they're mostly 70+.

In Europe one tends to find broader representation between the generations, and not such a sea of gray hair. Style of dress is reflected in a lower median age of the audience.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:57 PM

44,351 posts, read 20,056,503 times
It depends on the venue. If it's at a concert hall, then I dress up. Not formal, but a nice dress in a fairly conservative style and dress shoes.

However, last summer I went to a symphony concert that was beside a lake and everyone was dressed casually, including the performers. It was wonderful! They had a fireworks show over the lake as the orchestra played the 1812 Overture.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty