U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:02 PM

31,274 posts, read 57,490,958 times

Advertisements

I saw the entire range of possibilities for dress when I worked at a ballet company, everything from furs and jewels and tuxes to jeans and sweaters. The younger the patron, generally the less formal the dress (except for the kids 10 and younger - they always were decked out, especially for The Nutcracker). Saturday matinees were a little less dressy, rightfully so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 02:06 PM

11,469 posts, read 14,034,806 times
I wear a jacket (blazer), wool slacks and a long sleeve dress shirt.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:49 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,443,302 times
i've been to concerts in Boston, NYC, Seattle and of course here in LA and most men wear biz casual (no jeans), unless you're under 25 (in which dressing shabby chic is de rigueur) or you've got prime seats in the 1st few rows of orchestra level (monied grey-haired set in frumpy blazers/suits). People to dress up more for operas and big international famous orchestras like NY Phil, Berlin Phil, Vienna Phil. And i've noticed that the crowds in Seattle & LA tend to be more casual with a good number of guys in jeans even for evening performances. Just don't wear a tee or sneakers and you'll be fine.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:59 PM

451 posts, read 598,643 times
In the Phoenix area, you'll see people at fine arts events running the full gamut, from tuxedoes and formal dresses to looking like they just rolled out of bed and didn't even bother to comb their hair.

I'll usually wear a nice dress and heels. Not formal, but nicer than I wear to work or church. My husband wears a button down dress shirt, slacks, and usually a tie.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:25 AM

3,592 posts, read 4,529,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
If those who go to symphony or other fine arts concerts in the larger cities, how do people dress for such occasions? I know casual dress is much more common now but do most men still wear suits and women more formal dresses or do people dress in all varieties?
As a woman if I was going to a fine arts or performing art concert I would go with a dark neutral nice fitting classic sheath dress and some understated jewelry and mid height heeled shoes. At Christmas I would go a bit bolder and more festive with the dress color, jewelry and shoes.

A man would be fine in a charcoal matching/coordinating pants, shirt and tie combination, make sure all the fabrics are of good quality and the garments have a good fit, these things will compensate for the absence of a jacket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty