U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 01:13 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,163,085 times

Advertisements

If those who go to symphony or other fine arts concerts in the larger cities, how do people dress for such occasions? I know casual dress is much more common now but do most men still wear suits and women more formal dresses or do people dress in all varieties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 01:29 PM

13,103 posts, read 17,634,355 times
Last time I was at a symphony concert I wore a black sundress and no one seemed to bat an eye . so I would say a nice sundress or a nice long dress would be okay as long as it is a solid color .

Old 08-25-2013, 01:48 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Most men DO wear suits, and you will see the occasional tux.
Most women wear either dresses or pants with a great top.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:05 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,933,357 times
In NY I would see people in jeans, even, but that wasn't the norm/ Men wore jackets, if not full suits. I wore the dresses that I wore to work. I would see some women in gowns, but they were also the exception. I think NY is much more forgiving than some other places. You have students who love the classics and why should they be deprived of such beauty because they have little money?

Old 08-25-2013, 02:07 PM

862 posts, read 1,107,166 times
Prepare yourself for the weather you have to deal with. Be neat and tidy in your appearance and try to minimize the perfumes and strong fragrances. Others in the audience may not agree with your scents which takes away from their enjoyment of the symphony as well. There's nothing worse than trying to enjoy a show and you have to sit beside someone who sprayed themselves twenty times over with their strongest fragrance.

I don't agree that you need to go super formal all the time, but slovenly casual clothes don't belong at the symphony. Wear a smart outfit with the right shoes that don't bring too much attention.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:05 PM

13,103 posts, read 17,634,355 times
My sister reminded me that I wore a nice light black shawl with the sundress and nice black heels . I had forgotten that ....

Old 08-25-2013, 07:01 PM

23,902 posts, read 31,123,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
If those who go to symphony or other fine arts concerts in the larger cities, how do people dress for such occasions? I know casual dress is much more common now but do most men still wear suits and women more formal dresses or do people dress in all varieties?
I prefer to wear either a dress, or a nice pair of pants and nice blouse. My son (he is 20) will not even attend a symphony or a play without a tie.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:18 PM

774 posts, read 1,357,799 times
If it's the Berlin Philharmonic, you'd better dress well.
Those are good-looking people!

Old 08-25-2013, 07:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 12,465,112 times
I've seen everything at symphony concerts. Personally, I'd say a little dressed up is good. No formal wear. No flip flops. For holiday concerts, I think people dress up a bit more, especially with seasonal duds. But even then, I've seen everything.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:21 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,645,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Nowadays people wear almost anything, but suit is never out of place at an orchestra concert. I wouldn’t wear anything less than “smart casual,” which to me means a blazer, trousers, dress shoes and no tie. This would be especially appropriate for a summer concert.

Opening nights of the season tend to be dressier—often suits and cocktail dresses with a bit of sparkle. Once a year there may be a gala performance where some people wear black tie and evening dresses, but they’re becoming rare. Even in New York I’ve never been to a concert where everyone was in black tie.

The most important thing is to feel comfortable. Wear what you would wear to a religious service or a nice restaurant. You don’t have to buy a suit or a dress just to go to the symphony. On the other hand, if you have some nice clothes, wear them! There are so few occasions where people dress up anymore.

Also, the opera and the ballet tend to be dressier than the symphony and theater is less so. Smart casual is pretty standard for the theater and there are a lot of cocktail dresses at the opera.

(Yes, I work in the arts and go to the theater, symphony and opera often.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty