U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:55 PM

2,624 posts, read 4,131,921 times

Advertisements

All I can tell you is that maybe 7-8 years ago, I bought my wife a coach bag from eBay. We paid like 70% of retail, and anticipated a real bag. It came with a box, purse bag, tags...

My wife wanted to get another color, so we went to a Coach Store in the mall to exchange the bag. It took 3-4 saleswomen a total of 4-5 minutes of extensive examination for them to tell us it was a fake.

This just goes to show how good fakes are nowadays (remember this was like 7 or 8 years ago). For $21, it's likely a fake, but who cares, it's only $20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 02:10 PM

5,412 posts, read 8,309,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Its a lot like the one she was wanting but for this one has the leather angle stripes instead of just angled stitching.
For $21, you should get it then... it's sweet that you remember what she liked. See if you can get a pic of the lining - not just to see if it's fake, but to make sure it's not stained. Also, ask if it came from a smoke-free environment. Some of these resale purses can smell bad, which is why they sell better on ebay than the resale shops.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:47 PM

100 posts, read 94,845 times
There is no such thing as a Coach "showroom" unless she meant a retail store or outlet. It's $21 not much to lose but don't be disappointed if it isn't legit. It looks like an older style of the wristlet. Straight stitching doesn't mean to much. It's usually on the inside where the fakes cut corners. They depend on looking as identical to the original as possible

Old 08-28-2013, 04:38 PM

15,812 posts, read 13,250,691 times
Quote:
I am looking at this purse for my wife used. I was told by the seller they bought it from a friend who buys from Coach shops. I know storys are not worth the air to blow them up. She is asking 21 dollars for it shipped to me. It looks good to me from what I can tell. Stitching looks very neat and clean, the tag looks like the ones said to be original. I thought maybe some of the real coach experts and I am sure there are a few, I hope there are, can help me. Thanks.
I have never seen that wristlet and I have been a coachie for 8 years. It seems suspect to me, especially the contrasting stitching (something they usually do not do), and the embossing as opposed to a tag (something they usually don't do on wristlets).

Do you have a pic of the serial number or inside tag?

Old 08-28-2013, 05:04 PM

26,926 posts, read 28,291,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I have never seen that wristlet and I have been a coachie for 8 years. It seems suspect to me, especially the contrasting stitching (something they usually do not do), and the embossing as opposed to a tag (something they usually don't do on wristlets).

Do you have a pic of the serial number or inside tag?
I disagree with your assessment, this wristlet looks really similar to an Outlet bag I got several years ago, it was likely an outlet exclusive. Well at least with the contrast stitching. I also had a boutique bag from about the same time that had blue contrast stitching.

On the other hand, I don't think it is a screaming deal. OP, if you can go to the outlet, you should visit. You should be able to find a wristlet for a very similar price.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:22 PM

15,812 posts, read 13,250,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I disagree with your assessment, this wristlet looks really similar to an Outlet bag I got several years ago, it was likely an outlet exclusive. Well at least with the contrast stitching. I also had a boutique bag from about the same time that had blue contrast stitching.

On the other hand, I don't think it is a screaming deal. OP, if you can go to the outlet, you should visit. You should be able to find a wristlet for a very similar price.
Oh, what was the name of the line? And by outlet are your referring to MFF?

Old 08-28-2013, 05:50 PM

748 posts, read 1,361,806 times
I've been shopping Coach since 06-07 and I've never seen anything like that wristlet, and I frequent both the outlet and boutique. The stitching looks a little funny, but that don't mean it's automatically fake all the time.

If you want to get your Coach wristlet authenticated go to:
Authenticate This... - PurseForum

Create an account and post your question with detailed photos. I'm sure some one can tell you for sure if it's real or fake.

Also if you want Coach for cheap, check out the outlet! You can buy bags for $60.00 and up, some times you can even get them a little less then that. You can find all sorts of accessories from wristlets, umbrellas, wallets and so on for decent prices! If you don't live near one, you can access the outlet online as well as via ebay!

Old 08-28-2013, 06:31 PM

26,926 posts, read 28,291,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Oh, what was the name of the line? And by outlet are your referring to MFF?
The bag with the same stitching was MFF.

The boutique bag was a hamptons tote or carryall. I still have the matching shoes. . I must have got them in around 2003 or so. Wow! An eternity.

Actually, I think my ergo hobo has contrast stitching too.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:01 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,977,833 times
Quote:
Why is it meaningless? From all I have read so far, yes it can be taken off an original and put on a fake but that's not likely. I see most fakes do not take the time to correctly fake a tag. Although not a way to for sure say its real but its a sign it is not a fake if the tag is real.
And many of them DO take the time to fake a tag. Designer handbag counterfeiters range from bad to indistinguishable from the real thing. The best fakes are made in the same factories as the real ones. They have open markets in the tourist areas of some Asian countries where you can buy handbags no one would ever know are not real. A friend of mine who went to Korea brought back a "Louis Vuitton" clutch bag for me. He said the chose that particular model because the seller had it propped up beside a photo from Vogue of Lady Diana Spencer carrying the same bag, lol. I have carried it into stores where LV is sold and the clerks have fawned over it, assuming I was a swell customer since I already had an LV bag. Personally, I would never buy a real designer handbag for the same reason I would never buy a real diamond. If there are fakes the naked eye cannot tell from the real thing, then what's the point of the real thing?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,344,744 times
Quote:
The seller said they would take it back if I did not think it was authentic. She is an Ebay seller and said after I won the auction that she bought it from a friend who buys from Coach show rooms. You never know if its a line or the truth. I hate to call someone I don't know a scamer and will for now give her the benefit of the doubt. Shipped its 21 bucks so its not really a big deal, I just wanted to know if it was really a coach. I blew up the stitching and its amazing how uniform it is. If you count the stitching from side to side its exact and not only that if you draw a line each stitch matches up form its stitch in the second row. I know some fakes are very good AAA fakes, but I do not see anything that jumps out.
Why don't you just go to one of the major department stores (Macy's) or to the Coach outlet? They have these Coach wristlets on clearance ALL of the time and you will know that its authentic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty